Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 246252 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #915 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

Not really, a [reasonable] bit of desensitization never hurt anybody. A lot of people should at least digest the fact that when they eat meat, they are participating in the slaughter of animal. Had they had the guts to do it themselves (not possible in cities, but the hypocrisy part stays valid), the animal would have probably suffered less.
Probably not really. Most western slaughterhouses have very high standards in how painlessly they kill animals.

I shot a deer once.  It died pretty fast, within ten seconds.  It still managed to run a good hundred feet though.

I am not as concerned about how they are killed then by how they live.  Veal is disgusting, for example.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:51 am »

Is the spring 2014 release going to be the full game, and not an alpha/early access vaporware deal?  Color me interested if so.

infiniteseq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:12 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse#Animal_welfare_concerns (WARNING: even when not very explicit, it is not pretty).

Most people raising animals on small scale are not into animal torture. Most factories, even the meat ones, are into efficiency, so they will generally do as little as they are _forced_ by law to do. Mostly just pretend they care.

And i would leave it at that. I haven't replied in PM because even when people are not sensitive to slaughter of virtual creatures / persons, they tend to be squeamish when it comes to real blood => majority accepts that "there are high standards" without ever questioning it, mainly because of protecting themselves from feelings of guilt. Subconsciousness is a bitch.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 27, 2014, 11:56:23 am »

we have seen a lot of demonic stuff is in game. and nutjobs. i totally expect a nutjob deamon lover slaughterer to produce some special meat, and sell it to the unaware to turn them into deamon slaves.

however, i dont exptect it to be intended to have a village foodpoduktin run on human  meat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 27, 2014, 01:36:02 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse#Animal_welfare_concerns (WARNING: even when not very explicit, it is not pretty).

This section's representation of one or more viewpoints about a controversial issue may be unbalanced or inaccurate.

Really, that entire Wikipedia section is basically the summary of a book written by the Humane Farming Association. I very much doubt it's neutrality. I mean, it's about as reliable as asking the NSA to determine whether mass surveillance voids privacy.

Also, pigs and such are easily stressed which causes several biochemical processes degrading meat quality. In the muscle in particular it results in rapid breakdown of muscle glycogen and the meat becomes very pale with pronounced acidity (pH values of 5.4-5.6 immediately after slaughter) and poor flavor. Meat like that is almost useless, and is processed into dog food or even thrown away.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 27, 2014, 04:59:09 pm »

Also, young meat should be tastier, so yeah, definitely luxury product. But you can't put baby meat products into game you are intending to sell (unless it is from iron-age finland ;-).

Or can you ? (hint, hint  ;) ;) ;))
I don't know, I think that video-game censorship has declined a bit, I mean sure Bethesda makes children invincible in TeS, but I think that's for different reasons as to why children were removed completely from Fallout for UK release.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #921 on: February 28, 2014, 03:10:33 am »

(removed the last few posts -- I'd appreciate it if people took a little care about where they bring things and who they direct them at)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »

More blog posts. They sustain me, Gaslamp.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 03, 2014, 12:41:36 am »

I think we're all forgetting to address a very, very important question here:

Will there be tanks!? Sure, every steampunk series worth its salt will either have some sort of complicated flying machine or airship of some sort, but the steam-powered land combat vehicle remains woefully unrepresented beyond a few broad allusions in most series! (100% truth, I totally researched that, yo). I want to have land monitors, which double as mobile bases, that you can drive across the map, into other bases, which you can then use your land monitor to explode, or even better, you can be a land pirate, and broadside trains, or even duel other land monitors, and board them while fighting with sabres and cutlass(es)! Then again, you wouldn't have to actually add guns to them at any point in time, and could use a "mobile base" to offer humanitarian aid to all those impoverished settlements on the frontier. If you're into that sort of thing.

Alternatively, if not tanks (even little wagon-sized ones), then mobile rooms mounted on train tracks! Or just trains! Trains which can be weaponized as anti-invasion force-fields! Or not, but you see where I'm going with this.

Basically, what I'm getting here is that once the infrastructure is built up, semi-customizable mobile entities (or, SCMEs), whether they be ships, or tanks could be buildable in a way similar to a house is generated, and while you'd likely need an actual settlement to be able to support them (vehicles need fuel, after all) they could be used for more mundane things things such as mobile stock-piles, weaponized by both the defense and offensive, or used as part of a mechanism for some intricate logic gate if you're creative enough.

This is all of course merely wishful thinking, and I'm sure that the crew is having enough trouble as is to get all the base details down before they try to tackle intricacies like that.

Oh, and babies are typically too fatty to get a good meat return from em'. You're better off using them for candle production, if anything.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:17:40 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:14 pm »

Precariously balancing the needs of the many and the few here :P  New blog posts every Wednesday!

There are plans for vehicles, but we are trying to not fall victim to usual-ness.  Lots of vehicle code is getting written this week, and I'm sure you'll hear about that stuff soon.

Right now i'm trying to convince characters not to form romantic relationships with *every other character*.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 04, 2014, 06:58:01 pm »

Right now i'm trying to convince characters not to form romantic relationships with *every other character*.
But senpai-kun they are made for each other ~~~~~~
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:44 pm »

Precariously balancing the needs of the many and the few here :P  New blog posts every Wednesday!

There are plans for vehicles, but we are trying to not fall victim to usual-ness.  Lots of vehicle code is getting written this week, and I'm sure you'll hear about that stuff soon.

... but can we have an option to turn that on/off? Sometimes you just want to live in a K-Paxian society.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 04, 2014, 07:22:40 pm »

What you do with your LUA code on your own time is none of my business

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 04, 2014, 07:25:06 pm »

It'd actually be a hilarious mechanic if you could give each person (randomly of course) a relationship modifier of some sorts.  One guy could be a hopeless romantic, who falls in love with everyone, while others could be chaste (falls in love with no one), or shy (only falls in love with someone they talk to constantly, and they don't talk to anyone they don't know unless cornered in a room), or any of the other types of people out there.  It'd be kinda hilarious to see some guy with 100+ relationships where he's in love and none of them even know he exists.

What you do with your LUA code on your own time is none of my business

I chuckled heartily.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 04, 2014, 08:55:30 pm »

Today I went to Gaslamp Games and played about half an hour of an early version of CE. For only $1 I will allow you all to form a line to touch me briefly, above the waist only please.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 105