Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 246459 times)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #1005 on: March 21, 2014, 02:11:53 pm »

What is Tropico?
Can't tell if serious or not...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:14:39 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 21, 2014, 03:23:18 pm »

Tropico 2 was a pirate sim and my favorite in the series (although admittedly it was also the first one.)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 21, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »

Tropico 1? Gold. I played that straight for days when I first got ahold of it. Tropico 2? Meh, even though I myself love the concept it [very fun to make your own ships and such] was definitely a bit a flop with other fans of the first game. On the other hand, 3/4 haven't been.. bad, just, not as good. The first game literally oozes charm.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:29:33 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 22, 2014, 05:14:58 am »

What is Tropico?

I know what it is now, but I had never heard of it before.  Or at least, if I ever heard of it before, I made no connection to it.  I certainly never played it.  I played the heckola out of some Sim City on my DX4 machine way back in the day though.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 24, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »

What is Tropico?

I know what it is now, but I had never heard of it before.  Or at least, if I ever heard of it before, I made no connection to it.  I certainly never played it.  I played the heckola out of some Sim City on my DX4 machine way back in the day though.
I played Tropico 4 for a fevered binge earlier in the year. It is alright. The voice acting is pretty annoying but the music is great. The game is addictive and the game is all too easy: I had 100% approval with everyone just by half-trying to be a nice rules (e.g. providing housing).
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 25, 2014, 12:52:05 am »

its much harder to keep the approval on a barren, ugly island without ore but plenty of rebels. try to adjust the difficulty when you setup your game. this will also give a higher score, so if you try to beat your own highscore, you will have more and more difficult games. just realy dont turn on hurricanes. they will always distroy more score then they will give by increasing your rating.

anyhow, i had a great time with tropico1, but i think i just had enough tropico. so i cant say much about 4. but yeah. the game got more easy over the years i guess, especially with cars (tho cars realy make the game that much better)
still i guess i have to give 4 a shoot at some point... if only to see if its now possible to shoot the pope (tho this proably would be suicide anyway)

I know what it is now, but I had never heard of it before.  Or at least, if I ever heard of it before, I made no connection to it.

give it a try... it certainly can have df styled moments of FUN. you know... like there is this family and the young adult daughter doesnt like el presidente so she becomes a rebel and gets shot and all family goes totally mental so they go rebell too and then there is a lot of shooting and blood and burning houses and in the end el presidente has to flee in a canou remains victorious in all his glory! that kind of stuff. true df styled spirals of doom, just that the plebs wont take booze as a soother but only cash.

however... i feel i derailed this thread and this was not my intention.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:04:40 am by motorbitch »

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 26, 2014, 06:49:49 pm »

Just posted an update with a few things in it that we shared with press last week, and some stuff we're working on now:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/26/so-that-happened/

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 26, 2014, 07:18:42 pm »

some sort of paid early access model this spring

YES!!!!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 26, 2014, 07:23:31 pm »

Let's hope Daniel doesn't turn into the Peter Molyneux.

And buggy early access! Woop woop!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:26:07 pm by Isdar »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 26, 2014, 08:17:50 pm »

Quote from: The Glorious Tag Cloud
nicholas had a dream during GDC about peter molyneux and it was weird as heck

Oooh, do tell.

Also, can we get some of this artwork that is also mentioned?  Blood/Skull fountains sound hilariously amazing.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 26, 2014, 10:34:31 pm »

Steam knights need glorious steeds of brass and steel to ride into battle. Knights mounting the backs of light tanks "landships" like horses needs to be a thing!
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 26, 2014, 10:45:29 pm »

I must say, when I first saw the image of a majestic steam knight that graces the newest blog post with its presence, I thought for a split-second that it looked rather phallic. Just a split-second, mind you. But then again, I guess the entire concept of guns is rather phallic - most people think having big ones is important even though a small one used right can make much more of a difference.

Also, I'm pretty sure platypi are more dangerous than bandits. At the very least, they're more evil.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 27, 2014, 06:47:41 pm »

The Molyneux thing:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/26/so-that-happened/comment-page-1/#comment-44331

Re: steeds - It's not impossible, but it's so hard to make anything look like it moves in an equine fashion without having the animation budget of Assassin's Creed X.  They'd slide all over the place and be weird.  We have more plans, but we're working on the details of non-military parts of the game just now, so I can't promise anything.

I feel the need to mention, as i feel everyone who does such things should, that the early access will be "early" access.  A lot of what we want to build isn't in there, but we wouldn't ask for any money for what we're making unless we felt you could have a really neat, memorable experience with it the instant you could pick it up.  If it doesn't crash.  It shouldn't crash.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 27, 2014, 06:57:21 pm »

This looks cool. I guess the obvious question to ask from this board would be, how much is it like DF?

Anyway, PTW.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 27, 2014, 07:23:07 pm »

Ah, but a steed could be used for far more then mere military purposes. The pony express for all one's mailing and information couriering needs, and any sort of non-steam (however preposterous) vehicle would lend itself nicely towards an equine creature, or any mechanical inspirations thereof.

Of course, if all else fails, you can literally just mount the knight on the top of a small landship. Or even further, add horses as part of some expansion pack once you have enough money to actually fund their animation.

Pardon the crudeness of the sketch. There is a distressing lack of images of knights riding atop the backs of tanks on the internet.

As for the details...Care to indulge further? Will we not receive barber shops in order to fix the staches of any migrants that might have to misfortune to be generated with mismatching, gaudy facial hair, allowing us to ensure all men and women of our given settlement have matching mustaches? Shall they be able to collect harvested hair and convert it into solid fuel to power machines whose purpose is to cut hair themselves, thus allowing self-propelled barberies?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:25:20 pm by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 105