Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1483442 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3120 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:37 pm »

I just realized what needs to be done to truly crank this campaign season up to 11.
Somebody naturalize BRIAN BLESSED and get his ass on the campaign trail.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:06 pm »

Since we're talking about Donald "I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers" Trump, I might as well put this here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-trumpweb/fjkehfaokpmcbigmbgdhmjblecgfkedg?hl=en
Thank you so much. This makes everything Donald Trump-related much more entertaining.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:07 pm »

I just realized what needs to be done to truly crank this campaign season up to 11.
Somebody naturalize BRIAN BLESSED and get his ass on the campaign trail.

Trump vs Blessed would be the best debate ever.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: July 28, 2015, 02:45:39 pm »

Hillary's starting to win some grudging respect from me, if for no other reason than she's at least giving lip service to the notion that capitalism, as practiced on Wall Street, is pretty much broken. Not that I think she'd be talking about it without Bernie Sanders in the race, but whatev.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: July 30, 2015, 12:33:04 pm »

This article provides a conclusive, albeit somewhat predictable explanation for Trump's surging popularity: he's not a "n*gger-loving, wife-pimping cuckservative."

The far rightists who find it natural to throw around the term cuckservative feel that the mainstream GOP has betrayed them, so it’s not surprising that they see Donald Trump, who is willing to hurl manly insults at his rivals as well as denigrate undocumented Mexican immigrants, as a savior.

It's reassuring to note that politics is still all about racism and sex – nothing much has changed during the last ten millennia.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: July 30, 2015, 01:29:27 pm »

There's a similar (though less polemic) article over at Bloomberg. They did a focus group study with NH voters, and it boils down to the same things:

1. He has an opinion. Voters, especially on the Right, have never been a fan of nuance.
2. He shows no fear and does not backtrack.
3. He's "strong", whatever that means. Conservatives have always liked strongmen.

Of course, their study is undercut by the fact that all their study members self-identified as Tea Partiers.

"He's like one of us. He may be a millionaire, which seperates him from everybody else, but besides the money issue, he's still in tune with what everybody is wanting," Janet, a former dog breeder, said.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm just going to assume that Janet is a former dog breeder because getting dogs to fuck was too difficult an intellectual challenge for her.

Like it or not (and hey, as an Anti-Republican, I'm loving it like McDonald's) Donald Trump is going to be on the debate stage one week from today. Given the basis of his support, I think you're only going to see his poll numbers increase, even as he hardens and shrinks the upper limit of that support. People who buy into the macho asshole bravado will buy harder, while the rest of us will entrench our disdain for Trump that much stronger. Great strategy for winning a primary full of fucktards who lap that shit up for breakfast, but bad strategy for the general election.

Best line of the day comes from one of John Kasich's campaign advisers:
Imagine a NASCAR driver mentally preparing for a race knowing one of the drivers will be drunk. That's what prepping for this debate is like.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: July 30, 2015, 01:35:30 pm »

I wonder who's moderating the debate? I think FOX is the one hosting, but who is going to moderate? It'll have to be someone who is experienced at it and good at managing the discussion because Trump will try to derail it at every opportunity, probably....

Also, what's wrong with the name Janet? :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: July 30, 2015, 01:36:07 pm »

Best line of the day comes from one of John Kasich's campaign advisers:
Imagine a NASCAR driver mentally preparing for a race knowing one of the drivers will be drunk. That's what prepping for this debate is like.
That may be the greatest thing anybody has said all campaign. The disrespect is real, and entirely deserved. Here's hoping  Donald Trump wins that primary.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: July 30, 2015, 01:42:21 pm »

This is a bit of a gem from that article: "“Specifically, he said he'll put a wall on the southern border,” Roger, who works with the elderly, said. “When you talk about common sense, that's a common-sense thing to do.”"

Except, you know, the drug cartels routinely tunnel under the current wall (I say put an underground magma moat under it, MUAHAHAHA!).

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: July 30, 2015, 01:44:25 pm »

here's hoping trump wins the election

hillary vs republican #4911 is enough of a joke as is

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: July 30, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »

I wonder who's moderating the debate? I think FOX is the one hosting, but who is going to moderate? It'll have to be someone who is experienced at it and good at managing the discussion because Trump will try to derail it at every opportunity, probably....
According to this, it's Hugh Hewitt, a former Reagan Administration staffer and conservative radio talk show host. Also, a guy who's made his career beating the "liberal media bias" dead horse, and who, as director of the Richard Nixon Library, tried to block access to "unfriendly" journalists, like Bob Woodward, whom he characterized as "not a responsible journalist". So yeah, I expect totally impartial and fair moderation.  ::)

If it turns into the average clusterfuck yelling match and/or right-wing circle jerk that talk radio is known for, this should be popcorn-worthy. Too bad I don't have cable and will be on vacation. Though I'm sure the Internet will save the best bits for me to view later.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:56:23 pm by RedKing »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: July 30, 2015, 01:57:53 pm »

According to this, it's Hugh Hewitt, a former Reagan Administration staffer and conservative radio talk show host. Also, a guy who's made his career beating the "liberal media bias" dead horse, and who, as director of the Richard Nixon Library, tried to block access to "unfriendly" journalists, like Bob Woodward, whom he characterized as "not a responsible journalist". So yeah, I expect totally impartial and fair moderation.  ::)

If it turns into the average clusterfuck yelling match and/or right-wing circle jerk that talk radio is known for, this should be popcorn-worthy. Too bad I don't have cable and will be on vacation. Though I'm sure the Internet will save the best bits for me to view later.

It says he is scheduled for the one in September, I'm talking about the one next week.

Also, you'd think that the RNC would be invested in making sure it DOESN'T turn into a shouting match.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:00:09 pm by smjjames »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3132 on: July 30, 2015, 02:03:53 pm »

Yeah, I was gonna say, havig that guy moderate the first debate seems like a spectacularly bad idea.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: July 30, 2015, 02:11:00 pm »

Did a quick search and came up with a listing of info: http://www.wdsu.com/national/2016-presidential-debates-fast-facts/34378362

Interestingly, Jake Tapper of CNN will be co-moderating the one in September, so it'll probably balance out a little. I don't know who the people moderating the one on the 6th are, I'll wiki them I guess.

Edit: They're all employees of Fox News, no surprise there. No idea if any of them have hosted a debate before though.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:16:16 pm by smjjames »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: July 30, 2015, 02:13:49 pm »

There's a similar (though less polemic) article over at Bloomberg.

“He says it like it is,” said Jessica, a data analyst, during the focus group in the first-in-the-nation primary state, conducted by Purple Strategies at St. Anselm College in Manchester. “He speaks the truth.”

Oh lawldy, I completely lost my shit there. :'-D

Just a quick reminder: She's talking about the guy who fucking blew up PolitiFact's Truth-o-Meter. (Zero (0) true statements!)
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 1342