Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1495896 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3105 on: July 24, 2015, 11:52:50 am »

Honestly I could entirely picture Trump getting all worked up in a debate and going "WAKE UP, AMERICA!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: July 24, 2015, 12:22:57 pm »

I want to get off Donald Trump's Wild Ride.

Don't we all?

Though the democrats would love for Trump to stay in the whole way or even go independent what with the loose cannon wrecking ball effect he is having on the Republicans.

Just a thought experiment here, if he went independent how much of the vote would Trump have to get in order to split the delegates in a way that nobody is able to gain a majority? I'm curious here because a recent CNN poll said that if it were Clinton vs Bush and done now, Hillary would get 50 something and Jeb 40 something, however, if Trump were to go independent, the votes would be split something like 46 for Hillary, 34 for Jeb and 20 for Trump.

If the electoral college is split, the vote will go to the House, who will select the GOP candidate. However, it's probably really unlikely that Trump would win any EC votes- the most likely outcome is that he'll split the GOP vote and give Hillary a landslide.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: July 24, 2015, 09:09:01 pm »

And the day after the inauguration, Trump is appointed First Minister of Hair and revealed to have been on Hillary's payroll all along.

epic trololo

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: July 24, 2015, 09:32:06 pm »

Don't we all?

Though the democrats would love for Trump to stay in the whole way or even go independent what with the loose cannon wrecking ball effect he is having on the Republicans.

Just a thought experiment here, if he went independent how much of the vote would Trump have to get in order to split the delegates in a way that nobody is able to gain a majority? I'm curious here because a recent CNN poll said that if it were Clinton vs Bush and done now, Hillary would get 50 something and Jeb 40 something, however, if Trump were to go independent, the votes would be split something like 46 for Hillary, 34 for Jeb and 20 for Trump.

If the electoral college is split, the vote will go to the House, who will select the GOP candidate. However, it's probably really unlikely that Trump would win any EC votes- the most likely outcome is that he'll split the GOP vote and give Hillary a landslide.

I know, but my question is how much of the vote would he have to get in order for neither Hillary or Jeb (or whoever is the nominee) to have enough EC votes. This is just in theory, I too think it's highly unlikely that he'll actually gain any EC votes.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: July 24, 2015, 10:19:26 pm »

inb4 Trump becomes president of the US of Trumpmerica.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: July 24, 2015, 10:26:35 pm »

Don't we all?

I know, but my question is how much of the vote would he have to get in order for neither Hillary or Jeb (or whoever is the nominee) to have enough EC votes. This is just in theory, I too think it's highly unlikely that he'll actually gain any EC votes.

He could probably get a good 30% of the vote before doing that. It all depends on where he's concentrated. Someone like Strom Thurmond in 1948 or George Wallace in 1968 presented a real threat of splitting the electoral college because they had strong support in a particular region (that is, the South), taking a large block of regional EC votes- both took electoral votes and Wallace came pretty close to throwing the election to the House, despite very small national vote totals (Thurmond took 2.4% of the vote, Wallace 13%).

Trump has a strong (and inexplicable) base of support, but it isn't concentrated in any one block of states, and what would almost certainly happen is that he would lure about 10-15% of "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" away from the Republican candidate in most states, handing Clinton a landslide. That's exactly what happened in 1992- Perot won 19% of the vote, more than Thurmond or Wallace, more than any third-party candidate in fact since Theodore Roosevelt in 1912- but he didn't carry any states, and came third in every state except Maine (where he beat out Bush by three hundred votes).

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: July 25, 2015, 12:00:43 am »

Then Bernie Sanders also runs as an independent and it's a four way split.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: July 25, 2015, 12:03:51 am »

Bernie couldn't split a pea, never mind the vote :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: July 25, 2015, 05:58:30 am »

Shush, you. Bernie 2016 /o/ \o\

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: July 25, 2015, 08:06:30 am »

More info coming out that the Lafayette theater shooter was a grade-A wingnut. Tea Partier, conspiracy theorist, gun nut, frequent guest on local radio and TV shows years ago, etc.

Everyone seems to be quoted as saying that they knew this guy was wrapped too tight for decades.

Even though the shooting appears to have been apolitical in motive, I'm disappointed that it's not being pointed out more that the number of far-right shooters in recent years (say, since the 1970s) greatly outweighs the far-left.

We point and laugh and mock people like this, when in fact they should be getting -- best case scenario -- mental health treatment, or -- worst case scenario -- flagged as a potential threat to the public and monitored.

I realize some would object that that's "political profiling", but I think that one's political ideology is far more likely to be predictive of violent behavior than one's race, religion, or socio-economic strata.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: July 25, 2015, 08:27:52 am »

Not all grade-A wingnuts. Tea Partiers, conspiracy theorists, and gun nuts are mentally ill or mentally unstable though, some just hold really strong opinions and some are just idiots (I mean, would you call Sarah Palin mentally ill? Especially without proof). Also, being a gun nut shouldn't really come into play because, well, it's America, lots of people have guns.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:29:38 am by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: July 25, 2015, 10:10:45 am »

That's exactly what happened in 1992- Perot won 19% of the vote, more than Thurmond or Wallace, more than any third-party candidate in fact since Theodore Roosevelt in 1912- but he didn't carry any states, and came third in every state except Maine (where he beat out Bush by three hundred votes).

The exit polls indicated that Perot took from both candidates equally.  He basically didn't change the elections a whit.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: July 25, 2015, 08:43:35 pm »

All Donald Trumpet can do is toot his own horn. That works great in marketing and politics, but elections are won on more sturdy stuff than that. He can't hope to sustain this momentum, and the moment that hot-air balloon begins to deflate, it'll pop.

And the day after the inauguration, Trump is appointed First Minister of Hair and revealed to have been on Hillary's payroll all along.

epic trololo
I don't think Hillary has nearly enough money or resources to have Mr. "TEN BILLION DOLLARS" on her payroll.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: July 26, 2015, 06:08:01 am »

Since we're talking about Donald "I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers" Trump, I might as well put this here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-trumpweb/fjkehfaokpmcbigmbgdhmjblecgfkedg?hl=en
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: July 26, 2015, 11:44:11 am »

Since we're talking about  "I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers" Donald "I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created" Trump, I might as well put this here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-trumpweb/fjkehfaokpmcbigmbgdhmjblecgfkedg?hl=en
It seems to interact in strange ways on text that's already been improved, but I think this has dramatically improved my life.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1342