Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 538303 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #6180 on: July 27, 2013, 11:11:31 am »

((But Moooooooom.  :P))

"...It would be good for moral? Alot of crazy shit has happened recently."
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: July 27, 2013, 02:51:10 pm »

"It happened trough demonology shenanigans. The guy that did it was called Craig or something. Mort and Sigmund seemed to like him a lot, so they could've brought him here, I guess. I'm interestedin hearing that Stool story, tough."

((We should have a poll for favorite NPC. The captain is my favorite, certainly.))
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:53:50 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: July 27, 2013, 03:40:28 pm »

((I like the Artiste more. In other news, if Mark brings those guards to the ship we might have problems. The mail +2 bonus is an additional 33% of probabilities to fail a strike, or allow them to counterattack. And that would mean that we will en up all killed or in jail.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: July 27, 2013, 03:55:40 pm »

[I would honestly not know who to vote for. I like too many to pick darn-it! Although honestly it would be a tie between Craig and Captain, a very close tie.]

"Yes, quite indeed good Mage Erin. I lost my livery somehow, went to another dimension of colors, talked to a figment, got turned into a desk, made a friend, saw nightmares, then got arms and made another friend. It was a good day." Morton said with sincerity as he moved his arms around with joy that he has them again. "It's a wonder how losing one's arms makes you care for them so. One never truly knows loss unless they lose it, I suppose. I hope your day fared as well as mine had."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: July 27, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »

On the deck of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Sigmund, rather disappointed at the sad lack of his skeletal friend or any books arriving, heads back down to the cargo hold, finding that Kevin has moved very little in the period of time since they parted ways. Seems to be talking to the Captain.

"It happened through demonology shenanigans. The guy that did it was called Craig or something. Mort and Sigmund seemed to like him a lot, so they could've brought him here, I guess. I'm interested in hearing that Stool story, though."

The Captain looks pretty happy about Kevin's enthusiasm. Guess it's story time again.

"Well, LIKE I SAID, I was a FOOTSTOOL once. It was a HUMBLING, YET ALSO VERY REWARDING EXPERIENCE. I SUPPOSE I shall start where all but THE MOST CONFUSING STORIES START - RIGHT at the BEGINNING! This was VERY EARLY IN MY YOUTH, you UNDERSTAND. I was but a YOUTH OF NINE YEARS - OLD ENOUGH to do ODD JOBS, but NOT REALLY A PROPER WORKER YET, not for at least TWO MORE YEARS! My family, GODS ALMIGHTY BLESS THEM FOREVER, were RATHER POOR. Perpetually in CRUSHING, SOUL-WRINGING, KNEE-SHATTERING, BONE-CHEWING DEBT, life was STRESSFUL TO SAY THE LEAST. NEGATIVE CASH FLOW does that to you, as does DEBTORS' PRISON. So I, CUTE LITTLE YOUNGLING THAT I WAS, decided to TAKE MATTERS INTO MY OWN PLUMP LITTLE HANDS. I went to the LOCAL MAGISTRATE, a REALLY, REALLY RICH PERSON as far as I knew, and decided to ASK FOR A JOB! I had had QUITE ENOUGH of TERRIBLE WORK for MINISCULE PAY. So, come NIGHTFALL, I snuck RIGHT INTO HIS HOME, tiny and crafty tyke that YOU HAD BETTER BELIEVE I WAS. Fortunately, the MAGISTRATE was STILL UP. I went up to him and went "I NEED WORK! AND MONEY! PREFERABLY JUST THE SECOND, BUT WORK WILL DO AS WELL!" And what HE said to ME was that, YOU SEE, I could OSTENSIBLY WORK AS A PAGE! Not for HIM, of course. HE ALREADY HAD ONE!"

The Captain shrugs, then shakes his head.

"I KNEW RIGHT THERE AND THEN that there was ONLY ONE POSSIBLE COURSE OF ACTION FOR ME. So I did the REASONABLE THING and FOUND THE CURRENT PAGE OF THE MAGISTRATE. I then PERSUADED HIM to LEAVE HIS POST, and the town, for that matter, WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE via the HIGHLY EFFECTIVE CONVERSATIONAL TECHNIQUE OF BEATING HIM INTENSELY WITH A GREAT MANY STICKS followed by THREATS OF FURTHER UNPROVOKED VIOLENCE SHOULD MY DEMANDS NOT BE MET. Then I, HAVING WISELY STOLEN MONEY FROM THE AFOREMENTIONED PAGE BEFOREHAND, bought myself a NICE LITTLE SUIT and went to OFFER MY SERVICES after a few days to the MAGISTRATE! HE WAS GLAD TO TAKE MY OFFER, as the previous kid had DISAPPEARED SOMEWHERE and was PRESUMED TO BE DEAD. TO HIM, at least. HE WAS NOT THE FORGIVING TYPE. And THUS MY CAREER AS A PAGE BEGAN!"

He seems to nostalgically drift down memory lane for a moment before resuming his tale.

"IT WAS A LIFE I HAD ONLY DREAMED OF BEFOREHAND! While ACTUAL RICHES still eluded me, I was IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO THEM NOW. Sadly, I was a RATHER UNCOUTH LOUT back then, and had ALL THE MAKINGS OF A VIOLENT CRIMINAL. I WASN'T VERY GOOD at taking or giving messages (EXTREMELY BARBARIC ONES EXCLUDED), I was FAIRLY AWFUL AT TALKING TO GUESTS, but at least the SERVANTS LIKED ME FINE. PROBABLY because I, UNLIKE THE PREVIOUS SCHMUCK, didn't TATTLE ON THEM when they STOLE STUFF. It was a WONDERFUL ARRANGEMENT that netted me SOME OCCASIONAL LOOT AS WELL. It was ALL GOOD, because the MAGISTRATE WAS A BIT OF A SPENDTHRIFT, and a VERY NEGLECTFUL COLLECTOR OF STUFF. Since I got along SO WELL with the OTHER STAFF, the MAGISTRATE decided to KEEP ME ON as a page, but on ONE CONDITION - I was NOT ALLOWED to speak with GUESTS ANY LONGER. Instead, I WOULD BE HIS CONVERSATION PIECE. I was to SAY NOTHING, and act as his LOYAL, UNMOVING FOOTSTOOL whenever GUESTS HAPPENED TO COME ALONG. Otherwise I would CLEAN THE PLACE UP."

The Captain laughs ethereally at his own story.

"I spent ALL OF MY LATE CHILDHOOD and MOST OF MY EARLY ADOLESCENCE as the MAGISTRATE'S FOOTSTOOL, and if I HADN'T, I DARE SAY I WOULDN'T HAVE BECOME A CAPTAIN! Not only did I SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE COMPANY OF NOBLES, albeit entirely silently, I LEARNED GREAT PATIENCE, GOOD MANNERS and HOW TO SPEAK PROPERLY in my PECULIAR ARRANGEMENT. GOOD MONEY, TOO - both in the SERVING and the LOOTING ON THE SIDE. I grew from a LITTLE PIPSQUEAK SCOUNDREL into an EDUCATED, CULTURED and MANNERLY THUG, and as such, my EMPLOYER, THE MAGISTRATE, thought there was BUT ONE OPTION for such a boy - SERVICE IN THE NAVY! I SUSPECT that there MAY have been OTHER MOTIVES beyond a PATERNAL INTEREST IN MY DEVELOPMENT, such as a PARTICULARLY FLAGRANT THEFT OF CERTAIN ITEMS FROM HIS COLLECTION that I OSTENSIBLY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT, and thus I was SHIPPED OFF, quite LITERALLY, in fact. And then MY NAUTICAL ADVENTURES BEGAN."

The ghost pauses in recollection, then continues.

"So YES, being FURNITURE MAY IN FACT BE GOOD FOR YOU, even if your UPBRINGING AND IDEALS MAY INDICATE THE OPPOSITE. That's CERTAINLY a GOOD LESSON TO LEARN, YES?"

In the crew quarters of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott tries to justify his need for booze in some manner, grasping at any reasons for the purpose!

"... It would be good for morale? A lot of crazy shit has happened recently."

"Hm. Well, seems reasonable enough."

He reaches into a fold of his robes, producing a gold coin.

"Here you go. Should be enough for a bit of booze, yes?"

"Not a lot, though."

"A lot is a little too much, I'd say. Don't want my dear mages too drunk, really. Or consuming stuff that's too high-quality. We've been living a bit too comfortably, I find."

In the den of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Morton chooses to answer Erin's question rather thoroughly.

"Yes, quite indeed, good Mage Erin. I lost my livery somehow, went to another dimension of colors, talked to a figment, got turned into a desk, made a friend, saw nightmares, then got arms and made another friend. It was a good day."

"Sounds like it. It's always a good day if ya've made friends, I guess."

"It's a wonder how losing one's arms makes you care for them so. One never truly knows loss unless they lose it, I suppose. I hope your day fared as well as mine had."

"Well, not really. First I got woken up by that chef guy, he was all screaming and whatnot - I don't exactly know what happened - at that point in the morning, everything's usually a blur to me, but I kinda screwed up, I think. Next time I saw that chef guy, he was a head attached to a fish - not sure if I did that, but he wasn't pleased. That chef guy was all revenge and so on, really seemed to have a chip on his shoulder or something, and the Artiste had had enough, so he told me to turn the chef guy into a chair, and I did."

She pauses to sadly look at the chair Morton brought in.

"In fact, that's him right there, I think. I kinda feel bad for the guy. After all, whether I remember what exactly happened at that hour, I am responsible for his... state."

Erin shrugs, frowning pronouncedly.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: July 27, 2013, 07:05:04 pm »

Sigmund realized that he was never introduced to the captain, and that that could be detrimental in case he needed his help, so he talked to him:

-I don't know if I have been introduced to you, I'm Sigmund GrimDrake, and went through the same process than Kevin and Morton. I just wanted you to know who am I currently, as I have changed since the last time you saw me.

He then turned to the bulky man there:

-Excuse me, but I think that we haven't met before, so, would you mind explaining who are you what is your business in this vessel? We usually don't get guests here.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: July 27, 2013, 08:28:02 pm »

Seeing ten people approach in armor mark does the only thing he can think of

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: July 27, 2013, 10:36:02 pm »

"Oh... Oh dear." Morton spoke, there being a pause before he continued. "I had wondered why the chair was left alone on the deck. I had seen Chef Niklas when he was a fish and wondered at his predicament, he spoke something about an event that took his body and weapons away, although he sounded more concerned about the weapons. Try not to feel too bad, good Mage Erin, one cannot go against the orders of their bound master, you had little choice in the matter of turning him into a chair, I've learned that bound to Master Gary. It seems I was right in that it was an accident however, and while I feel sad for Niklas in his current state, I recall he wasn't very lucid previously."

The desk spoke again with a happier tone, trying to cheer the mage up hopefully. "I have experience with being furniture after all, it isn't so bad I can rightly say." Morton went back to the more appropriately serious tone however. "I will say, good Mage Erin, that your concern about the situation does tell me good things about you, I can promise I place you in a favorable category." The desk harkens back to their first proper conversation. "Perhaps I can help mediate though? Do you think that if we could convince Master Artiste that Niklas has calmed down, he could be changed back? I know Niklas, we've worked together for a while, perhaps I can help reconciliation for the accident, things happen after all yes? I wouldn't consider myself the best brewer if I had just woken up. Does he even know that we're here?" The desk turned to the chair, gently tapping it. "Niklas, can you hear us?"

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: July 28, 2013, 02:26:57 am »

Scott will trundle away, find the lifter blloke and get a couple of barrels of pure distilled hangover.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: July 28, 2013, 02:29:17 am »

"Nice story! I think I'll go find Mort now, he hasn't seen me after the change yet. Do you know where he is, Sigmund?"

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: July 28, 2013, 03:01:57 am »

"Well,"
He says, a bit reluctantly.
"I'll tell you, if you really want to know. Typically, I'm not supposed to, but for you, I can make an exception."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: July 28, 2013, 05:02:14 am »

In the cargo hold of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Sigmund realizes that he hasn't introduced himself yet. And that simply won't do, will it?

"I don't know if I have been introduced to you, I'm Sigmund GrimDrake, and went through the same process than Kevin and Morton. I just wanted you to know who am I currently, as I have changed since the last time you saw me."

"Don't really REMEMBER YOU THAT WELL, though that might just be MY MEMORY PLAYING TRICKS ON ME! PLEASED to meet you. AGAIN. PRESUMABLY. I'm the CAPTAIN. I'M SURE YOU REMEMBER ME."

He seems about to extend his hand, but he probably suddenly remembers he's intangible, pulling his hand back and looking at the large man at the same time as Sigmund addresses him.

"Excuse me, but I think that we haven't met before, so, would you mind explaining who are you, what is your business in this vessel? We usually don't get guests here."

The large man looks humbled by the fact that somebody finally publicly acknowledged his presence in the room.

"Who, me? I'm Humongous Hugh Haliburton, I doubt you've heard of me. I live in the docks, and I'm here because a fellow came up to me and asked me whether I could do some hauling."

Suddenly, Scott appears in the doorway, coming up to the large man.

"You. Come with me. Booze awaits."

"Oh, there he is. I have to go now. Pleased to meet you all."

Humongous Hugh follows Scott out of the ship, leaving Kevin, Sigmund and the Captain alone. They stand there for a moment until Kevin speaks.

"Nice story! I think I'll go find Mort now, he hasn't seen me after the change yet. Do you know where he is, Sigmund?"

Sigmund considers the question. Where could the desk be? Where can any man or piece of furniture be said to truly be?

Scott, meanwhile, takes Humongous Hugh to the Feisty Jelly, where they approach the barkeep.

"Two barrels of pure, distilled hangover, please," he says, handing two gold coins to the man.

"Two barrels of the Special, then - they're out back," he says, pointing out the back door. "I'm assuming I don't need to be showwin' you the way? Just out the door, really."

Hugh nods, then heads out. Moments later, he is back, two barrels held in his arms.

"These aren't very heavy, I notice."

"Well, the Special's a bit lighter than water - nothing I can be doin' about that."

Ah, the Special. Manna from the heavens, to be sure.

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Mark realizes one thing about this situation - he is most certainly in deep shit. Therefore, only one course of action makes sense - he must cheese it most verily!

[Mark escape roll vs. Guard encirclement: 2+1 vs. 1]

He backpedals, tumbling right into a guard, yet miraculously keeping a hold on his books! The guards, not expecting him to run so quickly, fail to move in for the capture, allowing Mark to begin running!

[Mark escape roll: 3+1]
[Guards pursuit rolls: 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 3, 1, 4, 2+1]

Fortunately, his ducking and weaving allows him to lose at least four guards almost immediately as he runs down a perilous alley!

[Guards pursuit rolls: 3, 1, 5, 5, 2, 2+1]

He then manages to lose another one by diving over a convenient fence, and only two guards still manage to gain on him!

[Guards pursuit rolls: 2, 6, 5, 4, 4+1]

He nearly gets away, too, but of the four guards still pursuing, two of them reach Mark, performing valiant tackles!

[Tackle: Guard 6 vs. Mark: 2+1 vs. 5+1+1]
[Tackle: Guard 7 vs. Mark: 3+1 vs. 1+2]

Though the first one flies past Mark, the second one manages to get him, grabbing onto his skeleton and trying to take him down!

[Opposed Strength: Guard 7 vs. Mark: 1+1 vs. 6]

Mark just kicks him away, though, resuming his run!

[Mark escape roll: 5+1]
[Guard pursuit rolls: 3, 3, 4, 6+1]

The tackling guards fall behind, leaving only one two more following him!

[Guard Sergeant vs. Mark: 4 vs. 4+1]

As he runs, Mark observes some kind of weird thing sail past him, two balls connected by a string. How odd.

[Mark escape roll: 1+1]
[Guard pursuit rolls: 5, 5+1]

He is so distracted, in fact, that he runs right into a wall, allowing the two remaining guards to catch up to him rather easily!

[Grapple: Guard Sergeant vs. Mark: 5+1 vs. 3+1]

Mark is then seized by the rather heavily breathing helpful man, who puts his metallic arms in a rather inconvenient hold.

"You run fast, my friend. Manacle him, MacDermott," he says to the other guard, who also seems to be rather out of breath by now.

[MacDermott manacling roll: 5]

Public Peace Officer MacDermott secures Mark's right arm to his left leg and his left arm to his right leg, then manacling the left and right legs together, quietly grumbling throughout the process. The manacles, surprisingly enough, are sufficiently small to restrain him rather nicely.

"You see, MacDermott? It always pays to bring the juvenile delinquent manacles with you, heavy though they may be. Now, be a dear and get those books back to our friend, will you? Remind him that he had better make good on that money, though. This was exhausting."

MacDermott nods, picking up the books carefully and leaving. The sergeant sighs, turning to Mark.

"Well, my friend, we had best take you to the jail, eh? Amateur shoplifter though you may be, this was quite the outrageous crime, I hear."

He starts to poke Mark into a certain direction, leading him out of the alley they are currently in.

In the den of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Morton is somewhat distraught at the news.

"Oh... Oh dear."

A moment of silence follows.

"I had wondered why the chair was left alone on the deck. I had seen Chef Niklas when he was a fish and wondered at his predicament, he spoke something about an event that took his body and weapons away, although he sounded more concerned about the weapons. Try not to feel too bad, good Mage Erin, one cannot go against the orders of their bound master, you had little choice in the matter of turning him into a chair, I've learned that bound to Master Gary. It seems I was right in that it was an accident, however, and while I feel sad for Niklas in his current state, I recall he wasn't very lucid previously."

"Well, yeah, but I kinda drove 'im to the point where he flipped out, ya know? I think, at least. Not sure what happened."

Well, but it's not like being furniture is all that terrible. It can be good for a man, really.

"I have experience with being furniture after all, it isn't so bad, I can rightly say," Morton notes cheerily.

"It's kinda... different for ya. Y'can see, hear, move semi-normally - he can't. He's in that chair, trapped almost completely."

"I will say, good Mage Erin, that your concern about the situation does tell me good things about you, I can promise I place you in a favorable category."

"Well, good intentions hardly count, do they, if ya screw everything up? Thanks, though. Validation's always good."

"Perhaps I can help mediate, though? Do you think that if we could convince Master Artiste that Niklas has calmed down, he could be changed back? I know Niklas, we've worked together for a while, perhaps I can help reconciliation for the accident, things happen after all, yes? I wouldn't consider myself the best brewer if I had just woken up. Does he even know that we're here?"

He taps the chair for a moment.

"Niklas, can you hear us?"

The chair doesn't move in any way.

"I dunno what's happening to the poor schmuck in there. I've never been an object before. Like, an actual object. I don't think he can tell we're here. Well, by sound, anyway."

In Karina's home...

Darren hates to disappoint someone, really.

"Well," he says, experiencing a pang of reluctance as he gets perilously close to revealing important information, "I'll tell you, if you really want to know. Typically, I'm not supposed to, but for you, I can make an exception."

Karina shrugs.

"Sure, I guess. Do you use a spellbook or something? Like a spell-notepad of some kind? Or is it one of those crystals that allow you to bend light or something? Or are you a mentalist? Putting images straight into my mind and whatnot?"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:04:05 am by Harry Baldman »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: July 28, 2013, 05:06:35 am »

"Well, I guess I'll go find him myself then."
Kevin searches for Morton.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: July 28, 2013, 07:33:35 am »

Mark trips the first guard with a foot to the knee (Metal will brake it hopefully) then do the same to the other grab a book in each hand and run back to the boat.
(I'm just glad I didn't try to fight them still ten guards for shoplifting is really excessive.)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: July 28, 2013, 10:23:57 am »

Mark trips the first guard with a foot to the knee (Metal will brake it hopefully) then do the same to the other grab a book in each hand and run back to the boat.
(I'm just glad I didn't try to fight them still ten guards for shoplifting is really excessive.)

1) Your legs are manacled together, and your arms are manacled to them.

2) The books are gone, carried off by Officer MacDermott.

3) Officer MacDermott has left, leaving you alone with the sergeant.

4) The fact that your legs are manacled together with your arms rather impedes your ability to run or perform acrobatic feats.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 719