Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Umomushil - Overlord Compliant Community Fort  (Read 15148 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Umomushil - Overlord Compliant Community Fort
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 09:25:05 pm »

Also, the Cell Blocks have some extended rules which are important to follow. Especially the early 140's are important exceptions to an earlier rule.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 09:33:55 pm by breadbocks »
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 01:18:57 am »

Considering that in all my forts the primary trade goods are always made from the bodies of fallen enemies (e.g. elephants) this is horribly, WONDERFULLY appropriate.

EDIT: Okay, on second check, my dorf has the exact same eye colour I do. What the hell.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:40:42 am by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 02:11:21 pm »

Addendum to field report
Events of the meeting of 24th Malachite recreated from transcript by The Vamp and Tannen's notes

Tannen stood on a boulder in the stock room, glaring at the assembled crowd as he counted heads.

"Minions. We are all present, I shall begin."

"Er... the soldiers are still outside," interrupted Imp, but Tannen just growled and continued, ignoring her.

"You all know by now that we are acting on orders more complex than the supply operation we were expecting. With the new arrivals here, we must start taking our long term duties seriously and begin production for the cause. Istas, Imp, Urist the Red; our orders have specific instructions for you."

"52: I will hire a team of board-certified architects and surveyors to examine my castle and inform me of any secret passages and abandoned tunnels that I might not know about."

"I have seen the work you miners have done and the tunnels seem simple enough. I want you three to make absolutely certain that our tunnels are the only ones in this mountain."

Istas spoke up, hesitantly, "There is the vent of the volcano of course, we know about that and can avoid it, but in a mountain like this there could be drained vents, old magma chambers... a whole network of tunnels down there."

"He's right, I've seen caverns that have formed that way before," Imp confirmed, "they can be spectacular on the inside and the old vents can go for miles."

Tannen swung one of his crossbows idly on his finger while he considered this, the weapon not having left his side since its creation.

"Then you have your task. Miners, if these caverns exist you are to find them. Urist the Red, if any are found you are to assess them for stability. The rest of you, know that we are still going to perform our original duties. Overlord demands weapons, equipment and coin, and we will supply it. We have not yet had our delivery of metalsmithing tools, so from you lot I want ideas of useful work we can be doing with all this rock. You. What can you do."

Julius the glassmaker started in surprise as he found the loaded crossbow suddenly pointing at him.

"Er... um... rock... yes. Rock forges. I can make mini-forges and hammers out of this alunite."

"Mini-forges? Explain."

"Well... maybe our agents can use them to make weapons in secret."

Tannen sighed, "I had one when I was a child. You can make a blade about half the length of your finger in those things! They're toys! Utterly worthless!", he paused and frowned, "What about the rest of you?"

Tannen waved the crossbow wildly, pointing it at the assembled dwarves as he gestured, "Can any of you make anything more useful than that?"

There was a babble of suggestions from the minions,

"Scepters!"
"Rings!"
"Mugs, we can make lots of mugs, maybe we could poison them."
"Puzzleboxes, perfect for smuggling notes in, we should make lots of puzzleboxes."
"Trumpets! I bet we can make trumpets out of rock, and maybe they can be made to shoot poison darts!"

The trusted lieutenant watched the enthusiastic discussion in growing bewilderment, then turned and left them to it, an unpleasant snarl on his face.

He was interrupted in the corridor by a shout from Julius.

"Sir! Sir, there is something else I wanted to discuss with you. I've seen our orders, and I think there is one thing we should do immediately. It mentions avoiding putting cover in the hallways, and, well... I was thinking those pillars in the stock room... we don't really need them. Invaders could certainly use them for cover. They might be a security risk, sir."

The squat, powerful glassworker stood there with a serious expression as the lieutenant thought, stroking his beard.

"Excellent thinking, minion-technician. You are to take charge of Urist the Red and consult with her on removing them. I will see that you are rewarded for this. Now get back to work."

Also, the Cell Blocks have some extended rules which are important to follow. Especially the early 140's are important exceptions to an earlier rule.

I'll only be obeying the top 100 from the list linked in the first post. I know that's not the original list, or the whole thing, but for now those are the only rules that I'm considering part of the story. The others might turn up later.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:39:02 pm by Geb »

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »

I'm wondering how we'll handle migrant storms. Will excess migrants be played as do-gooders or is there a chance to turn some of them into "clueless fool"s who just live in our proximity?

We'd need a fake fortress! No, wait! Fake fortresses attract those pesky do-gooders. A faked fake fortress to confuse them perhaps?
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 06:29:18 pm »

A hole in the ground that looks like an entryway. At the bottom? An atom smasher. Or magma, as per rule #13.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 07:47:42 pm »

give me a scientist.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 12:15:54 am »

Give me a dwarf.

Derm The Multitasker (That's a Custom profession name.)

Proffession: ALL OF THEM. Except fishing and woodcutting.

Adequate of all and master of none!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 03:08:20 am »

Mmmm.  Evil-gooey goodvileness.  Evil toys.  Demonic toys!  Maybe making toys is part our great Overlord's plan!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFZTX9pslU

Course, the idea of such things makes rule 2 really, really hard to follow, especially for our enemies.

It's only in the cellblock lists that we minions are encouraged to be socially pleasing, when not actively following orders to the otherwise, alas.  otherwise - constructing toys could be... part of the job's cover!  Mwahahahaha!

Enough of lists, especially false ones.  I've got a task to do, mwa-ha, mwa-ha, I've got a job to do, do-do-to-day.  Gonna dig real deep, gonna dig real far.  Gonna find me some tun-nel-unnel-els, gonna find them in peace or war.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 12:38:40 pm »

Field Reports of Tannen Rimtarazin, Trusted Lieutenant
26th Hematite, 301

For two whole days, the only sound was of metal hitting stone, the sound of undisturbed work.

Except for The Vamp.

Her work on the surprise project had been completed long ago, and her mechanical ability could not be turned to securing the internal doors until the doors themselves were finished, giving her nothing to do but complain about our orders. She is convinced that they must be a forgery based on her reading of number 8.

8: "After I kidnap the beautiful princess, we will be married immediately in a quiet civil ceremony, not a lavish spectacle in three weeks' time during which the final phase of my plan will be carried out."

We are not here to dictate strategy to our Overlord, we are here to serve. We most certainly do not dictate who to marry, but The Vamp has other ideas. She is certain that she has been promised a role as concubine. The whole argument is pointless as item 53 on our orders makes clear, if there is to be a marriage it will be one of political convenience.

53: "If the beautiful princess that I capture says "I'll never marry you! Never, do you hear me, NEVER!!!", I will say "Oh well" and kill her."

I must find some way to curb this tendency towards independence. We follow orders or we are punished, there is no other way.

All considered, the shouts as the cavern was discovered were a welcome distraction.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Addendum to Field Report, Conversation of 26th Malachite

Istas tore through the corridor at a full run, shouting in excitement, "The cavern! The tunnels! We found them, just where we predicted! They're perfect! Oh you should see them."

Tannen needed no time to think as the miner came to a halt.

"Seal them off. Get the mason, wall off the entrance, make sure nothing can get in or out, ever."

"But sir! There's water in there, and plants. We're down to only two barrels of wine, and we've been eating nothing but raw horse meat for months. We need to gather food if we're going to survive. We need this cave."

"Minion, we do not need it. Our rationing has held so far."

"But what will we drink? We can't eat the ice out there, it's full of ash, and there's no other water except in the cave pool."

"We still have sixteen barrels of plump helmets, minion. I can brew more wine myself, and there's plenty to eat out there, I just need to kill it first."

"...what? You've been putting us on half rations for three months! We had food unused all that time? You said we had none!"

"Yes I did. Now I'm saying we have some. Now get that tunnel sealed."

22nd Galena, 301

The legionaries have been taken off punishment detail and allowed back inside. Work continues. Our stores of drink have finally run dry, so I have taken the task of brewing this season's wine and ordering the slaughter of our animals to replenish our food stocks. The world would be a substantially better place if all problems could be solved so easily by killing baby animals... maybe I'm just an idealist at heart.

I can barely work in this cramped junkpile that we call a fortress. There are improvised worksurfaces and tools strewn everywhere, doorways still lacking their doors, directly contravening our orders to keep passage walls free of cover for invaders, and our belongings thrown whereever there is space to fit them.

We cannot work like this. We must have better workrooms, better stockpiles. I have given the miners their new tasks. More than anything else, we need somewhere better to eat than a single table left in a side passage. This is our home now, it's time to make it feel that way.

22nd Limestone, 301

This is unacceptable! My orders are being ignored! Urist the Red has been slack in producing the doors we need to secure our corridors, but I was prepared to accept this as she was busy working on the surprise project. Failure to properly seal off the caverns is totally unacceptable.

A cavern beast, the doctor calls it a crundle, has entered our fort without anybody noticing. A mere beast has defeated our security!

I have personally ensured our safety by wounding the beast with a volley of crossbow bolts, and the legion have redeemed their good standing by killing the creature.

I stood over Urist the Red as she finished the wall that she had been too lazy to complete before, personally making sure the task is completed as ordered. It is not entirely surprising that a wall can be completed so quickly when the mason has a crossbow pointed at their head, but I must admit I am surprised that she did such a good job. I really am starting to like these bows. Further punishment will come when I have given the matter some thought.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:45:12 pm by Geb »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »

I was waiting until you reconsidered and allowed us to cordon off a larger area.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 01:38:17 pm »

OK, I kinda want to do some moddding for this. Would you mind if I changed some things in the entity RAWs for this, and posted it in a spoiler? I'll be making some aesthetic changes, like making kings princes and queens princesses. I'll also be making some other changes like making the DM require Royal Rooms and making everyone else unexempt from punishment, and making the DM only come once he "captures" the prince/ess.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:04 pm »

You'd need to regen.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 01:47:51 pm »

I'm not too worried about keeping the game vanilla as I've already made a few mods to glassmaking and added some new alloys. I was originally intending to mod in glass helmets but then I forgot to include that reaction when I started the game.

If you can come up with something that won't break a running game, I'll give it a go.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »

I thought that was only if you added new things, not changed the nobles already there. :-\

DIET: OK, I want your imput on this. Would you say 50 minions present, 100K of supplies sent out, and 130K of supplies/fortress made, for the princess/prince (I'm assuming your world has a princess), and thus, the DM to arrive? If that is OK with you, the monarch is done.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For the people who aren't too good at reading DF entities, such as myelf, in order of the tags, here's what it means:
A male is called a prince, plural form princes, a female is a princess, plural is princesses. There is 1 per nation, and his/her spouse is, for a prince, prince consort, plural prince consorts, and for a princess, princess consort, plural princess consorts. The heir becomes the prince/princess when they die, the two responsibility tags are unknown in what they do, s/he is put at 100 on a 1 to 200 scale of importance with 1 being the best, the rules from location's purpose is unknown, and flashes simply means his/er name flashes on the (u) screen. If s/he gets killed, whatever did it gets to talk about it, and because they are who they are, people will talk about him/er in general. I'm not sure what do not cull does, so I let it be. S/he can give quests to kill things, and he holds land. The trigger I mentioned earlier, and when s/he owns land it is known as "an overlord compliant fortress". That is because the Overlord come with him/er. Any person who fills that roll will be listed in legends mode, and s/he has a special color. S/he also can't be recruited in adventure mode.

EDIT: OK, I forgot a tag that will make the DM come with the monarch.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:10:50 pm by breadbocks »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 04:08:20 pm »

[NAME:make bone blocks]
[BUILDING:KILN:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:BONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BONE_MAT][USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:BONE_MAT]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

Replace the contents of a reaction you're not going to use with that. Now alchemy and a kiln can get us bone building materials! You'd need to change some ethics to use sentient creatures and that would require a regen, but hey! Now we can make a tower of muskox bones!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:10:12 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12