Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3742824 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4635 on: December 14, 2012, 03:17:02 am »

Was there a black market circa 1400s?

I would imagine so. At the very least, there would be merchants who dodge customs purely for tax reasons (more of a grey market, according to Wikipedia.) In the "illegal goods" sense, you'd probably see wartime societies impose rationing on food, iron, horses, and associated black market folks who supply those things to people and organizations who want them anyway.

Note that I speak with no weight of personal knowledge, merely a quick glance at Wikipedia and general understanding of human nature.

Yes this seems quite reasonable.  I'm trudging through a Hundred Years War history right now, and there doesn't seem to have been the legal concept of "illegal goods" in the way that we understand it today.  Aside from being practically unenforceable (and thus a waste of time) there wasn't much that would be considered bad (weapons were a necessity to travel it seems).

The closest would probably have been government control of certain goods, like wool in England.  In certain circumstances they would enforce export bans to leverage the Flemish (and they hoped to drive up the price to pay off debt).  One can imagine that clandestine smuggling would be in high order at those time.  The dorf nobles already do this, though it is rather whimsical.  :'( If they did it to hurt the importer, that would setup a black market demand nicely.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: December 14, 2012, 04:22:46 am »

This would need quite a rewrite of the justice system... Punishment is already pretty hardcore if you dont have a prison, since smuggling is a crime against the state (like forgery or tax evasion) it should have an even more hardcore punishment.
IIRC those accused of money forgery in france were fried in oil. Only king slaying might have been more hardcore (having molten metal poured in all orifices, killing hand severed then being dismembered by horses)...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: December 14, 2012, 07:27:20 am »

Cloth beds (hammocks) are still planned, right? Maybe we should be able to have our dwarves sleep in furs on the ground too.

spitss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: December 14, 2012, 10:31:53 am »

In regards to the next release are fruit trees dependent on climate, (apples in temperate, coconuts in tropical) or can they grow anywhere like most crops?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:13 am »

When will armor get weak points? And will it be species specifc, to account for different placement of organs etc, particularly when you get to the randommen?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: December 14, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »

In regards to the next release are fruit trees dependent on climate, (apples in temperate, coconuts in tropical) or can they grow anywhere like most crops?
As I understand it, there is still no mechanism for planting a specific tree type (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this), so you should be limited to what is already growing in the surrounding area, which is decided by the biome. 

So yes, tree crops should be limited by the climate. 
where is up?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: December 15, 2012, 10:38:42 am »

Was there a black market circa 1400s?

I would imagine so. At the very least, there would be merchants who dodge customs purely for tax reasons (more of a grey market, according to Wikipedia.) In the "illegal goods" sense, you'd probably see wartime societies impose rationing on food, iron, horses, and associated black market folks who supply those things to people and organizations who want them anyway.

Note that I speak with no weight of personal knowledge, merely a quick glance at Wikipedia and general understanding of human nature.

Yes this seems quite reasonable.  I'm trudging through a Hundred Years War history right now, and there doesn't seem to have been the legal concept of "illegal goods" in the way that we understand it today.  Aside from being practically unenforceable (and thus a waste of time) there wasn't much that would be considered bad (weapons were a necessity to travel it seems).

The closest would probably have been government control of certain goods, like wool in England.  In certain circumstances they would enforce export bans to leverage the Flemish (and they hoped to drive up the price to pay off debt).  One can imagine that clandestine smuggling would be in high order at those time.  The dorf nobles already do this, though it is rather whimsical.  :'( If they did it to hurt the importer, that would setup a black market demand nicely.

When you have a highly centralized bureaucratic government like imperial China, on the other hand, you have both the ability to profit from strong government control of resources and strong incentives to ignore them and engage in black market activity.

Case is 11th century China, where the government controlled the salt trade for massive profits, but there was massive illegal production and sale. In a fragmented Europe before centralized states you might not see these as often as you might in Asia, with its powerful despotic governments.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: December 15, 2012, 10:45:11 am »

Do you plan on making special starting scenarios for playing in young worlds? With the world activated, is there anything planned for starting a game in year zero? How would that work? It would be interesting to start a fortress with the entire civilization's population in it. I'm guessing the lack of migrants would deserve some explanation in this scenario, unless they are still being generated out of thin air.

How different would the history progression of a world you've played from year zero to 250 behave from one with 250 years generated in worldgen? Will there be still some things that only worldgen can make?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »

When will we get better world names? As it stands, they tend to be a tad ponderous. Different names in different languages would be excellent.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:51:36 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: December 15, 2012, 03:26:29 pm »

When will we get better world names? As it stands, they tend to be a tad ponderous. Different names in different languages would be excellent.

They are in different languages...

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: December 15, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »

They are in different languages...

I think he means that the world have multiple names, one for each language...

Right now, my world's name is in goblin... why is it... is there some reason all the civs call it by the goblin name...

It would make sense for the world to have different names in several languages, but that will probably wait until Toady gets around to letting civs names regions and other locations when they discover, find, or conquer them.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: December 16, 2012, 03:20:32 am »

I think its safe to assume most large settlements would have a black market for stolen goods at the very least.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: December 16, 2012, 05:31:30 pm »

I think its safe to assume most large settlements would have a black market for stolen goods at the very least.

Depends on who they were stolen from, but yeah.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: December 16, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »

Toady, in the latest DF talk you mentioned:

and I can't have any levers that trigger something more than twenty tiles away or you might have one part loaded and one part not loaded, so everything will have to be a little more vertical than it would probably be in a player fort when it comes to mechanisms and stuff

In light of that, how do you plan to deal with this in player made fortresses? If an adventurer go and pull a lever in a player made dwarf fotress, and it will probably be more than 20 tiles away, will it not work because it's not loaded? Will you try and do a workaround for that? How many Z levels DF loads before encountering the same issue?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:19:49 pm by arkhometha »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: December 16, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »

In light of that, how do you plan to deal with this in player made fortresses? If an adventurer go and pull a lever in a player made dwarf fotress, and it will probably be more than 20 tiles away, will it not work because it's not loaded? Will you try and do a workaround for that? How many Z levels DF loads before encountering the same issue?
I'm just guessing, but I think the game loads the entire abandoned dwarf fortress when you enter the site. I could be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 748