Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [Spoiler] To Pull or not to Pull?  (Read 5308 times)

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Spoiler] To Pull or not to Pull?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 01:59:47 am »

I've had legendary armor/shield/dodgers get killed by demons, once just by getting one-shot hoofed in the skull. One at a time is usually bearable but it's really hard to live in this game if you are fighting multiple opponents. There are some, like granite devils, that I could only kill by hitting them in the lower body with an axe until it sailed off in an arc.  Now I wouldn't fight them without a lot of companions, necromancy, and a >= steel weapon. Dabbling Thrower / Adequate Wrestler / Proficient Dodger isn't high enough imho but I don't know if you are against grinding and throwing. gj finding a magic sword during life.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:13 am »

Your starting stats weren't too good... If you want to survive, you should train until weapon, shield and dodging are a bit higher than that. Being a necromancer also helps for the journey through the caverns.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 08:07:34 am »

Also... you probably needed better armor (At least full bronze if steel's completely unavailable.) and more shields (LOTS more shields). Sorry I didn't find this earlier.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 09:15:04 am »

I've had legendary armor/shield/dodgers get killed by demons, once just by getting one-shot hoofed in the skull. One at a time is usually bearable but it's really hard to live in this game if you are fighting multiple opponents. There are some, like granite devils, that I could only kill by hitting them in the lower body with an axe until it sailed off in an arc.  Now I wouldn't fight them without a lot of companions, necromancy, and a >= steel weapon. Dabbling Thrower / Adequate Wrestler / Proficient Dodger isn't high enough imho but I don't know if you are against grinding and throwing. gj finding a magic sword during life.
I would have kited the demons and fought them one by one, but I was too cocky about my legendary +11 Ambusher. I thought I could pick them off right in front of their faces (as I did countless times to trolls, cave crocodiles, hordes of crundles, etc during my long and tiresome journey through the caverns. I have no idea how they spotted me. As for the thing with the companions, I entered the caverns with over twenty and none of them could keep up or survive the monsters (I had only two clone spearmen survive until the second cavern layer, but they died horribly by troll). As for the necromancy throwing/wrestling/dodging, I would have trained like a motherfucker, but once again I was too confident about my ambusher skill.

Also... you probably needed better armor (At least full bronze if steel's completely unavailable.) and more shields (LOTS more shields). Sorry I didn't find this earlier.

I had a full set of armor (a mixture of iron and bronze with a steel shield). As for the shields, I consider that bug cheating and never carry more than 1 shield per hand (sometimes I'll allow a shield and buckler).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »

You could've just gone home and retired like everyone else :'(

But yeah, nice science. One thing's literally been bugging me for so long now, the first time I ever encountered a demon in adventure mode - it was standing outside a cave. It was a pig demon - unfortunately it spotted me and quickly killed me. I'll never know what was inside that cave or what the demon was doing outside it ;_;

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 04:41:39 pm »

But yeah, nice science. One thing's literally been bugging me for so long now, the first time I ever encountered a demon in adventure mode - it was standing outside a cave. It was a pig demon - unfortunately it spotted me and quickly killed me. I'll never know what was inside that cave or what the demon was doing outside it ;_;
I know ;( I could've gone on to do great things with that sword lightsaber. Thank you, I'd really like for someone else to try to replicate what I did, or pull the sword and get different results. As for the pig thing, I know demons can come to the normal world during world gen and become false gods and things, but I have no idea how.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:09 pm »

I know ;( I could've gone on to do great things with that sword lightsaber. Thank you, I'd really like for someone else to try to replicate what I did, or pull the sword and get different results. As for the pig thing, I know demons can come to the normal world during world gen and become false gods and things, but I have no idea how.
This was no unique demon. Didn't wear anything, didn't say anything. Just outright killed everyone :C

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:16 pm »

Presumably there was an opening to the underworld at/near the bottom of the cave and the demon just walked out.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »

Presumably there was an opening to the underworld at/near the bottom of the cave and the demon just walked out.
An opening to the underworld you say? The only way to the underworld is through a curious structure or an adamantine spire. Can openings to Hell spring up naturally?

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 07:43:46 pm »

An opening to the underworld you say? The only way to the underworld is through a curious structure or an adamantine spire. Can openings to Hell spring up naturally?

Yes, Implying that the rare circumstances were followed.
A cave-in could do it.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 02:35:50 pm »

You would have survived if your musicality was higher.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 02:36:49 pm »

Maybe if I had empathized with the demons and played them a song...

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 03:10:43 pm »

Maybe if I had empathized with the demons and played them a song...

Something cheerful and upbeat about torture and death. Actually, the population of the demon fortresses might have been at some underworld festival or other.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »

Man, good job on finding a demonic fortress though. I think I've only ever found those, in fortess mode, like. Twice. I really want to play with one sometime, but they're so darn rare! And when I do find one, they tend to be in terrible embarks with nothing good in them.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 03:17:29 pm »

Man, good job on finding a demonic fortress though. I think I've only ever found those, in fortess mode, like. Twice. I really want to play with one sometime, but they're so darn rare! And when I do find one, they tend to be in terrible embarks with nothing good in them.
Good to know my hard work has been appreciate. It was very tedious to find in a virgin world (no dwarf shafts straight down to the third cavern layer). Like seriously: I was a dabbling ambusher when I entered the cave. I sneaked the whole journey and by the time I found the fortress I had the ridiculously high skill pictured.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4