Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 45

Author Topic: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!  (Read 117218 times)

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »

Just thought I'd say this-- I would totally contribute if you opened up to donations, and I'm sure others would too.  It can't hurt, right?  A project as amazing as this deserves funding.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:27 pm »

How far are we from a randomized campaign ?

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49:17 am »

Been playing some more, and seeing as I never played the original, I have some stupid questions:

1.Do operatives shoot less accurately when using their off-hand?

2.Does putting objects in your off-had decrease the effectiveness of your usual one?

3.Do aliens wake up from unconsciousness, and if so, how can I execute them or at least fully incapacitate them when they are unconscious?

Oh, and UFO hull breachers don't work on the ufo roof.  Is this intentional?  I wanted to fly my general in through a hole in the top for the lulz.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 11, 2013, 12:08:23 pm »

spoilerish
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 11, 2013, 02:03:59 pm »

Got a successfull run again with Ground zero, i'm really enjoying this mission

The added sound has been helpfull to take notice of the HQ messages.
X@COM is such a fantastic game
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:07:51 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 11, 2013, 05:35:33 pm »

While playing "A Rookie's Tale" (didn't played it before, it's utterly awesome how much different a game from another can be in this mod !) i found something that is working oddly :

While investigating a "special" location i found 2 armor racks, having my guy and an ally fighter having poor armor, i decided to fetch the Ring armors that were in.
I moved my weapons and secondary items in the backpack (as you need 2 free hands to remove and put armor) and removed each of my guy's armor then dropped them on the ground.
Then i took the Ring armors, made my guys to wear them and noticed with horror that i had no more weapons or anything in my backpack anymore, they just vanished ?

After being puzzled and moving around to see if they were not somewhere in the ground i noticed what was the problem : the actual backpack is in fact oddly fused with the armor instead of being something separate, so if you drop an armor, the backpack drop with it

Fortunately i just had to put back the old armor to find again my items (and drop them on the ground then instead of putting them into the backpack) and switch again to the better armor

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 11, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »

Been playing some more, and seeing as I never played the original, I have some stupid questions:

2.Does putting objects in your off-had decrease the effectiveness of your usual one?

3.Do aliens wake up from unconsciousness, and if so, how can I execute them or at least fully incapacitate them when they are unconscious?

Oh, and UFO hull breachers don't work on the ufo roof.  Is this intentional?  I wanted to fly my general in through a hole in the top for the lulz.

1. No. Soldiers are Ambidexterity.

2. While I haven't confirmed this, I always believed using a two handed weapon with one hand reduced accuracy. So throwing a grenade while holding a rifle would reduce the accuracy of the throw. On the other hand, using a pistol, a one handed weapon, wouldn't do this. This may not be even true, but I like to do it for RP reasons nevertheless.

3. Yes, aliens can wake up from unconsciousness. However, if you kill an alien, he's down, unlike in some other versions of X-Com. If you want to kill one completely, you can simply toss a grenade on top of the corpse. I think shooting at the tile also works.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 12, 2013, 10:09:42 am »

Isn't a bit too much to have Chrysalids being able to appear in Rookie's Tale ?

I noticed in a game a chrysalid very far away, it zombiefied a bunch of orcs and goblins, a dragon kin and probably more that i didn't saw on the map.
Then while i was running away using the map borders i quickly noticed that the whole map was simply filled by Chrysalids after a while, and of course bow+arrows , rifle and shortswords, well that does not do much to a Chrysalid.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:11:55 am by Robsoie »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #533 on: April 19, 2013, 09:46:52 am »

Okay, I'm finally back in town again--haven't touched a computer (or any piece of modern technology for that matter) in almost two weeks :o

Just thought I'd say this-- I would totally contribute if you opened up to donations, and I'm sure others would too.  It can't hurt, right?  A project as amazing as this deserves funding.
You're just in time then, because I was going to do this some time in the next few weeks when I get a chance. I've been getting e-mails along these lines as well. We'll see how it goes.

How far are we from a randomized campaign ?
Far-ish? Hard to say because it really depends on how fast development can proceed, which is an unknown right now due to insufficient funding. (Those damn aliens taking over countries!)

Although this can't tell you precisely when to expect them, to summarize the general direction of development before that stage: Next we have a new expanded UI, followed by a more proper implementation of battlescape features to replace existing placeholders, and *then* we get a geoscape which would naturally include campaigns. Campaigns really are towards the end of the whole thing though, since they encompass just about everything, although there's a good chance I'll implement a simpler version before that point for testing purposes. Check out the roadmap for more near-term details. It's updated fairly frequently.

On a side note, a few weeks ago I was getting into brainstorming/researching the geoscape.

1. No. Soldiers are Ambidexterity.

2. While I haven't confirmed this, I always believed using a two handed weapon with one hand reduced accuracy. So throwing a grenade while holding a rifle would reduce the accuracy of the throw. On the other hand, using a pistol, a one handed weapon, wouldn't do this. This may not be even true, but I like to do it for RP reasons nevertheless.

3. Yes, aliens can wake up from unconsciousness. However, if you kill an alien, he's down, unlike in some other versions of X-Com. If you want to kill one completely, you can simply toss a grenade on top of the corpse. I think shooting at the tile also works.

Orb pretty much covered this, though I'd add for #2 that two-handed weapons used in one hand (other occupied) *does* reduce accuracy by 10%. This important tidbit is hidden away in the readme file, and is pulled from the original game.

As for your last point about hull breachers, it is somewhat unintentional that they don't work through roofs, due to how they were implemented (quick and dirty). They unfortunately only work on adjacent hull walls in the same plane :(

spoilerish

oddly, 1 of the three destroyed big guys is not counted, i wonder if it has to do with it possibly dying from the added fire/each rounds from the gunner flame ammo ?

The added sound has been helpfull to take notice of the HQ messages.
X@COM is such a fantastic game
Glad to hear you're still having a good time with it! You're correct, death by fire will not count towards your score since you're only credited for direct kills, e.g. projectiles and explosions. Fire is a good way to damage them, though, which you've obviously discovered.

While playing "A Rookie's Tale" (didn't played it before, it's utterly awesome how much different a game from another can be in this mod !) i found something that is working oddly :

While investigating a "special" location i found 2 armor racks, having my guy and an ally fighter having poor armor, i decided to fetch the Ring armors that were in.
I moved my weapons and secondary items in the backpack (as you need 2 free hands to remove and put armor) and removed each of my guy's armor then dropped them on the ground.
Then i took the Ring armors, made my guys to wear them and noticed with horror that i had no more weapons or anything in my backpack anymore, they just vanished ?

After being puzzled and moving around to see if they were not somewhere in the ground i noticed what was the problem : the actual backpack is in fact oddly fused with the armor instead of being something separate, so if you drop an armor, the backpack drop with it

Fortunately i just had to put back the old armor to find again my items (and drop them on the ground then instead of putting them into the backpack) and switch again to the better armor
Yes, your sack is considered a part of your armor due to how armor mechanics work (they weren't really meant to be removed in the first place... the idea is that "armor" is not a one-piece thing, but a set of things). What will normally happen when you remove armor is any items it contains are immediately dropped to the ground--items are not really stored in the armor itself. So when equipping new armor you just have to pick up any other dropped items you want. You shouldn't need to re-equip the old armor.

I like how you mention the mod makes it a very different game, since that was the goal of RT, and in the future I'm sure we'll see modder contributions in a similar vein. While the core mechanics stay the same, swapping out content combined with extensive use of the effect scripting system can make for some interesting results.

Isn't a bit too much to have Chrysalids being able to appear in Rookie's Tale ?
Yes, it can be. They don't always go on a rampage, since there's only ever a maximum of one on the map (to start), if any, and it doesn't move unless a target appears nearby. If you're as unlucky as you were, perhaps some creativity with the right spells can still win the day (if you're lucky enough to have access to good spells). Be sure to check the Rookie's Tale guide I posted after release.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2013, 08:25:06 am »

There's a new fan-made mod to try out, one which will be very familiar to anyone who's played the original game.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2013, 08:39:44 am »

Ahh memories...
A: "There's mutons on the 2nd floor of that barn! Get the tank over here to take them out!"
B: "I can't sir the Rocket HWP is being foiled by a 2 foot high wooden fence!"
A: "Augableburgle" *melts*

good times...good times...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #536 on: April 22, 2013, 09:13:23 am »

Yes, now you can just run your tank through the fence, as it should be 8)

(Or through the side of the barn, if you like.)

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 22, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »

Farm is fun, but very easy.  Still a nice challenge to improve my score (And have a mission that I'm capable of winning besides Aggresion).

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #538 on: April 22, 2013, 06:41:10 pm »

I was going to mention that--it is fairly easy compared to my own releases, essentially because I've been intentionally increasing mission difficulty to a more "roguelike" scale ;) Once you've had practice with that the original game doesn't seem so difficult, and with remake missions the goal switches from simply "survive" to "survive with few to no losses" and get as good a score as possible.

The level of difficulty makes complete sense in a campaign setting, since you don't want to be losing your entire squad every other mission. Right now we don't care about the squad so high difficulty isn't as off-putting.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2013, 05:58:06 pm »

Wait, you're saying that what we had already is supposed to be easy?
Oh dear.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 45