Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 344397 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2625 on: June 04, 2020, 11:29:48 pm »

"Well, lets hope you don't have to.  But thanks."
"And teeth..  yeah.  I do want those fixed, but lets save it until after tomorrow."
"Thank you Ekrov."

At that, she hugs him, before retiring to her room for the night.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2626 on: June 08, 2020, 08:42:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pick one of the signals at random and head towards it/them
You attempt to focus on one of the innumerable signals but can't pin any single one down. However, you do find out something odd: while the charm is basically useless horizontally, when you bring it close to the ground it immediately points straight down and stays there.

Light blue, to red, to orange please.

It was magically enchanted to point to those parts in particular. You could enchant it to point to anything else, but it would be a new spell.
How did Alizarin describe it look like again? Since I guess it also has to do with nature, perhaps Ecalir's wood word would be an option?

Also, look into our library and maybe ask around a bit to try and figure out which goddess was the one residing in the pillars of lead. What was she like, what aspects did she govern, what things did she like, how did that place become the wasteland it is now?

The dominion you're looking for is basically the same as the one you have, but a different color. It should slot into the one you have perfectly. And no, wood wouldn't be able to trace it.

[10v2]
Alright, basically the info you get is this:
1. Second daughter of Kal-Dune. Apparently called something like "Excata" but spelling varies. Seems to be pronounced "Ex-Kah-tah" going by the various spellings.
2. The domain given to her controlled all animals, but not people, apparently.
3. Her forest was considered a sort of Primeval place, remnant of the early days of the world, where all manner of strange life lived. The pillars were the largest trees but apparently the entire forest was giant.
4. What you can find says she died when the Mechanists invaded, but somehow prevented them from capturing her dominion. Her forest was not burnt or otherwise razed naturally, it became an inhospitable wasteland of lead and mercury in an instant.

On your way, traveling on a boat through the twisting valleys of the Philosopher's Teeth range, you come across a flipped over boat caught in the rocks. Its one of the larger ones, a paddle boat ferry that rides up and down the river. Looks like it got washed onto the rocks along the near vertical canyon wall and is laying on its side.

That's awesome, I think I'll stay like this for a while if it makes me feel like this.
Does Adam have any input on this situation? I don't know if being this full of mana is going to have side-effects like make me shine like a beacon to spirits or anything like that.
Head on to the next village along my route. I believe I'm leaving Wismuth and heading to Terebinth next, with the plan being to follow the river north after that.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Okie dokie.
He doesn't seem to notice a difference. Or at least he's not acting different.

Terebinth is out int he middle of Alduels forest, probably the last real forest in the kingdom, a strip of tall oak and pine trees running through the desert.  The road to Terebinth is still paved and relatively well maintained but the trees arch over it and loom down like judgemental sentinels. You make it to the town near sunset and you're glad to be out of the woods before it gets dark. The town itself is split between the two sides of the river, connected by two large bridges that function as extended docks. Boats are tied up to the pillars of the bridges, with goods being moved up and down on ropes or wooden scaffolds.  It looks like an overgrown fishing village, complete with its own feet of boats and nets, but many of the boats here seem to be trading goods or loading crates. A trade town maybe? Hard to say.

You find the Mayor and ask about issues facing the population. He doesn't have much for you, at least not much that a doctor like you can do. No magical ailments he knows of.

Talk to the buyer of the robot a bit, I'm curious why they want it if they don't want to change its brain away from "murderbot".  Do make sure they're aware it might be extremely dangerous if it's turned on--and if they say they don't intend to turn it on, ask about keeping the thing's mainspring.  Not much reason to keep the frag grenade of a power source if it's never gonna be used.  Don't be pushy about this, they bought the bot and it's battery, so they can do as they like with them... but I do want to know if Ekrov can pick up any hints that the buyer has unpleasant plans for the robot.

Craft the sculpture, using:
--Ash from the ruins of Gravid.
--Small, cheap book.
--Honey
--Piece of scarred scrap skin from a tanner.
--A large metal ball bearing imported from Fearce.
--An iron meteor fragment

Aaand finally assist Saeko with the stuff she's doing.  Help with the thauming process, and start learning Japanese from her while doing that.  Be blindfolded when she gets nude for the transformation, Ekrov can use his third eye to tell what's going on without breaking her privacy quite as much.

From IRC:
--Price for d6 Feline is 275 gold.  Money already subtracted.
--The clue for another feline word is "there is a jade statue out in the desert near Balneum Mariae of a giant feline that is supposed to have the word for feline carved on it. Supposed to be north somewhere of the oasis"

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)
Assume you can speak ok japanese now.

You get the words for:
Heat
Paper
Leather
Speed
Angelic

You finish your sculpture, the "Universal Lubricant"
Your sculpture appears to be nothing more than that large metal ball. However it has a distinct capacity that it didn't have before. Simply put, it allows the user to switch one property from one thing with one property from another. For instance, you could switch the weight of a stone with the weight of a feather. There's a timer on it that increases depending on what properties are switched.

Time to class-change to fighter.

Bank most of the gold for safety. (Say, 7000 gold.)

Spend a few days converting magicoal to thaum, and, through Ekrov, get mana from it.  Each chunk contains 3d20 mana, so convert enough for..

Str and Speed to +3. (160 mana)
Kno to +3 (50 mana)
at least 100 mana in storage. (currently at 34)

Then, with Ekrov nearby, and in the privacy of my hotel room, remove my clothing and cast the following spells:

d12 Strengthen on self to increase strength.  Risk mutation, retry if failed, even if critfailed, barring property damage.  Yes, even something like growing an exoskeleton means continue.

d8 Strengthen Permanent Grow Bird, aiming to do two things simultaneously.  Trying to gain wings similar to those I had temporarily in the Ruins of Gravid, and to become larger, as more size is more strength and endurance.  It should be enough for flight given the two lightness enchants.

If no mutations are suffered, cast a Permanent Strengthen spell on hearing, this time aiming to be able to hear like during the eclipse.  Hear people walking around in a building across the street, hear conversations being held by people blocks away, etcetera.

Ok. So 276.
29+39+46+35+42+28+49+45 =313.
8 coal.

[2+4 v 11] -11 mana. Trying again
[2+4 v 11] -11 mana. Trying again
[9+4 v 6] -6 mana. No mutation.
[8+4 v 1] -1 mana. No Mutation
[1+4 v 6] -6 mana Trying again.
[3+4 v 2] -2 mana. MUTATION.

You become albino.

The end result of your combined mutation and magical meddling with your flesh is that you are a good 6 inches taller and substantially stronger (d8), with blulging muscles that look a bit disconcerting on your relatively small frame. Your giant bird wings, with feathers matching your black hair, oversized and pointed ears, and incredibly pale skin make you look very Fae and otherworldly, like some kind of giant fairy on steroids. You are very clearly magically enhanced, but are not as of yet monsterous to the average person. Just very strange looking. The look would actually be quite elegant if not for the excessive muscle mass.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 08, 2020, 10:39:41 pm »

Look for a crack in the stone big enough to fit my prybar through, and use the prybar to move away some of the stones

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: June 09, 2020, 12:32:01 am »

In that case my plan is to just make my presence known and stay for a couple days and to be available and accessible in case people want my assistance privately.
If there's really nothing to do here then once they've had a few days to make any problems known to me and assuming nothing comes up then I'll be continuing along my route (which i believe is to go upriver to Nihil).

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: June 09, 2020, 12:57:16 am »

Bluh. Must have forgotten to hit post.

Items I'd like to procure before leaving:
d8 Ranged weapon (Compound bow, maybe? Bows are cool, and I'd rather not just have a bunch of rifles)
Painting Canvas
Food and Water
Blank Book
Wooden Pole
Binoculars
Silk Rope
Lantern and Oil
Bullets with a Mercury filling (no propellant, they're for my explosion-enchanted rifle)
Glass pendant in the shape of a flame

Other than that, I think I'm ready to go.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:01:14 am by Egan_BW »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2630 on: June 09, 2020, 12:13:44 pm »

Bluh. Must have forgotten to hit post.

Items I'd like to procure before leaving:
d8 Ranged weapon (Compound bow, maybe? Bows are cool, and I'd rather not just have a bunch of rifles)
Painting Canvas
Food and Water
Blank Book
Wooden Pole
Binoculars
Silk Rope
Lantern and Oil
Bullets with a Mercury filling (no propellant, they're for my explosion-enchanted rifle)
Glass pendant in the shape of a flame

Other than that, I think I'm ready to go.

Alright. Lets go with 25 gold for the bow, 10 for 100 arrows.
All the mundane supplies there for 15
45 for 20 mercury bullets
1 for pendant.

The airship takes off around sunset and its already too dark to see once its out over the black flux. For what seems like a long time everything is silent,  the pilot flying entirely by instrumentation.  The Captain, the one who used to be your handler, explains things.

"We're going out to observe the Mechanist forces beyond the border. We know they're out there, we've had sightings near the pillars of lead, reports of people going missing, standard covert action indicators, but we're not sure of two things. First their numbers. We know the old sky kingdoms are a hive and we can estimate their numbers but we have no idea how large the forces out here are. Likely orders of magnitude larger but we gotta figure it out.  Second, what the command structure is like. We know the floating hive is entirely automated, no organic intelligences up there, but it is the suspicion of the King and many others that the people once called the Mechanists are extinct. That what we'll be fighting against is basically the automated remains of their army, an infinitely expanding war machine running on orders hundreds of years old. So we're looking for commanders or whatever the equivalent is. Most these tickers aren't smart enough to do anything on their own, so there has to be something in there coordinating them.

The plan is that we're gonna get a set distance in, drop, secure the area, then move out a bit. If we run into mechanized forces, we observe, we gather data, then we retreat and get out of here.  If we don't run into anything, we get picked up, and repeat till we find something. He have orders not go engage unless either we have no other choice OR we sight what we determine to be a high value target. One of their leaders, for example.

We're gonna break up into teams of three."

He points to you

"You're with Alek and Samson here." He points to a large man and a young woman; the man has a war hammer and the woman an oversized pair of gauntlets. "You'll be taking North East from landing zone. 5 miles straight out. No sign of locals, come on back. Any encounters, watch for up to three hours, then return. We're gonna be doing this all under cover of darkness so we need to be back up and out of range before sunrise."

He thinks a moment more and then grunts. He reaches over to you and presses down on your temples, rubbing in a quick circle. The dark interior of the airship suddenly becomes as bright as sunlight at noon. 

"Fire in the eyes. Round the other way to turn it off. Careful, it can blind you if you get hit with bright lights while its active.

Questions?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: June 09, 2020, 12:50:04 pm »

"If we find something like a commander, would it be worth trying to capture it intact?

Are the machine soldiers made out of a ferromagnetic material?"

Ready to go regardless.

Also, don't miss Nature and Leng's actions up there when you do this turn. They both posted before my turn went up.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 12:51:37 pm by Egan_BW »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 09, 2020, 03:46:35 pm »

The dominion you're looking for is basically the same as the one you have, but a different color. It should slot into the one you have perfectly. And no, wood wouldn't be able to trace it.
What material is our staff made out of, then? Or did she mention what it is made of?

Perhaps Ecalir's 'insect' word would work then, or perhaps (or in combination with) his 'command' word since the staff can command things?

On your way, traveling on a boat through the twisting valleys of the Philosopher's Teeth range, you come across a flipped over boat caught in the rocks. Its one of the larger ones, a paddle boat ferry that rides up and down the river. Looks like it got washed onto the rocks along the near vertical canyon wall and is laying on its side.

Use a viscera sensing spell to see if there are people/living things still inside that boat or if there are things waiting in ambush for us (or perhaps a monster lurking below).

Also, if the boat is made from wood or has appreciable wooden parts, use the sunbro staff (as always make it seem like we're doing a normal spell here) to try and have it moved over a bit (eg by growing some branches on one side) to take a better look at what it has inside/on the deck and what happened to it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:01:57 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 09, 2020, 08:58:15 pm »

(Do note that the robe covers the full body.  Always has.)

Fix my twelve-pounds of walnuts in a ten-pound bag problem with another Permanent Strengthen Grow spell.  Goal is to provide more space for the excessive muscles by increasing the overall size of my frame, without adding yet more muscles.  Trying to reduce overall weirdness.  Aim for about the size of a large human, so say another eight or so inches.  Do not risk a mutation, but instead provide an extra 20 mana to give the spell a duration.

After that, go use a Permanent Expand Steel Bird Cloth spell to reshape my steel cloth armour to fit my new form.  Make a few changes, such as adding zippers so that the wing covers can be removable, removing the now-awkward hood, and make it look better suited for a fighter instead of a white mage.

Help that by using a little thaum and some of my alchemical dyes to make it red with white hilights instead of white with red hilights.

Then, convince the chunk of Black Biometal to change shape into an appropriately formed helmet with a clear visor.  Give it mana to do so, and aim for something that works with the giant ears and looks more awesome than frightening.  Don't forget to shade the visor some to help with the albinism.

After that, dress up, and say hi to Ekrov.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:40:55 am by Devastator »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 10, 2020, 07:34:21 am »

[[Piece when will I find out what my magic material is?]]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 10, 2020, 09:47:05 am »

Your randomly selected words are "Mammal" and "Spider".

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 10, 2020, 11:11:09 am »

[Thank you]
Ask if anyone in the tavern knows of any creatures or bandits nearby which I can fight

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2637 on: June 11, 2020, 03:37:30 pm »

Look for a crack in the stone big enough to fit my prybar through, and use the prybar to move away some of the stones
[4v4]
You pry up several paving stones, but find nothing under them but dirt.

Maybe the charm is pointing to something deeper? Subterranean ruins? If thats true, there should be an entrance around here.

In that case my plan is to just make my presence known and stay for a couple days and to be available and accessible in case people want my assistance privately.
If there's really nothing to do here then once they've had a few days to make any problems known to me and assuming nothing comes up then I'll be continuing along my route (which i believe is to go upriver to Nihil).

You have a few people come to you for help; none seem magically ill, instead they seem to be suffering from various mundane maladies. Loss of function in damaged limbs, degenerative diseases and chronic illnesses, that sort of thing.

"If we find something like a commander, would it be worth trying to capture it intact?

Are the machine soldiers made out of a ferromagnetic material?"

Ready to go regardless.

Also, don't miss Nature and Leng's actions up there when you do this turn. They both posted before my turn went up.

The commander shakes his head to your question and mimes cutting a throat.

"Not enough information to make doing something like that safe.  Might be able to command from a distance, might call reinforcements. Too dangerous; If you can grab one, kill it and bring the remains. The Fearce guys can always repair them. If you see something organic and can knock it out, that will work though. Priority here is information, keep that in mind."

"Crapshoot. Early models had plenty, some still do, but others are made of more exotic materials. Its worth a shot but won't be 100% effective."

After another 15 or so minutes of flight, the ship stops and rear door opens. To your surprise the other mage breakers just start walking out, without a rope or any other support. Your commander sees your expression and motions to you, tapping on boot of his armor with his sword.

"Go down feet first, the armor will do the rest. Ask your squad about anything else."

He motions to Alek and Samson next, "Watch her. First time out."

Alek nods and Samson takes your arm and walks with you to the edge. On her mark you both jump and she helps you stay stable as you fall down towards the distant desert below.  You notice that when you extend your legs and point the soles of your feet at the ground, its almost as though the air around you gets thicker, slowing you down  as though you're falling through water. After some practice you figure out how to free fall for most of the way and then decelerate once you get near the ground. Its a bit tricky, but nothing terrible. Alek lands a few moments after you and Samson, notably harder than either of you but seemingly unfazed.

"You'll get better." Samson tells you, "Learn to brake at the last second you can, drop faster. Its all practice."

The three of you head out in the direction you were told to take, moving across dead earth and desert sand for several miles before you catch sight of something. It looks like some sort of building, a giant rust colored brick of a thing like a mountain of steel maybe 2 or so miles out. It appears to be moving in this direction, albeit very slowly. Things are swarming around it, though you can only make them out as black dots from this distance.

"Mobile fortress maybe?" Samson asks aloud. Alek grunts.  She looks over to you. "Whatcha think rookie, sit and observe or move in closer?"

[Thank you]
Ask if anyone in the tavern knows of any creatures or bandits nearby which I can fight
To the north east of here is a giant junk yard of destroyed war machines that people are harvesting. There are some functional machines over there that people need protection from; they'd be more than happy to hire you as their guard, I'm sure.

What material is our staff made out of, then? Or did she mention what it is made of?

Perhaps Ecalir's 'insect' word would work then, or perhaps (or in combination with) his 'command' word since the staff can command things?

Use a viscera sensing spell to see if there are people/living things still inside that boat or if there are things waiting in ambush for us (or perhaps a monster lurking below).

Also, if the boat is made from wood or has appreciable wooden parts, use the sunbro staff (as always make it seem like we're doing a normal spell here) to try and have it moved over a bit (eg by growing some branches on one side) to take a better look at what it has inside/on the deck and what happened to it.

Your staff is made of metal if memory serves. Remember the Dominion is not the whole staff, its just the thing on the top. The staff is a tool to use the power of the dominion, but that thing at the tip is the only real magical item in it.

[2+1v4] -4 mana, no dice.
[-3 mana] You force the dead wood back to life and use new growth to flip the boat over. Now, upright, you can see that something looks to have snipped off a large chunk of the deck, including where the ship's wheel would be. There's blood on the deck, partially washed away, and what look like small stab holes all over, but no sign of crew.

(Do note that the robe covers the full body.  Always has.)

Fix my twelve-pounds of walnuts in a ten-pound bag problem with another Permanent Strengthen Grow spell.  Goal is to provide more space for the excessive muscles by increasing the overall size of my frame, without adding yet more muscles.  Trying to reduce overall weirdness.  Aim for about the size of a large human, so say another eight or so inches.  Do not risk a mutation, but instead provide an extra 20 mana to give the spell a duration.

After that, go use a Permanent Expand Steel Bird Cloth spell to reshape my steel cloth armour to fit my new form.  Make a few changes, such as adding zippers so that the wing covers can be removable, removing the now-awkward hood, and make it look better suited for a fighter instead of a white mage.

Help that by using a little thaum and some of my alchemical dyes to make it red with white hilights instead of white with red hilights.

Then, convince the chunk of Black Biometal to change shape into an appropriately formed helmet with a clear visor.  Give it mana to do so, and aim for something that works with the giant ears and looks more awesome than frightening.  Don't forget to shade the visor some to help with the albinism.

After that, dress up, and say hi to Ekrov.

Can't really do that. Its mutation or its temporary.

Alright, it costs 7. The wing parts are not solid metal, they're closer to scale mail, designed to resemble feathers so it matches your general motif. The "Feathers" are attached to cloth backing and can be zipped off entirely or even just "Opened" if you need to quickly uncover a wing. You get it colored the way you like and the hood is set as you desire.

takes 3 mana to get this.  You have to coax it a bit, as the black bio metal is not exactly easy to form into "non-frightening" shapes. It originally looks like the cross between a knight's helm and a hornet's head, but through some reshaping you mange to make it look more like sweeping black wood with a crystalline visor. The sweep of the design matches the lines of your ears, so that the whole thing flows together well and looks complementary.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 11, 2020, 03:43:52 pm »

Well, treating that kind of thing just so happens to be what I actively practiced before all of this, and considered my primary profession for the longest time. So I'll do what I can for them and note down anyone that I want to check up on the next time I cycle around. Then once I'm comfortable with leaving things as they are I'll be moving on.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 11, 2020, 04:48:36 pm »

Nobody seems to be in urgent need of rescue or help here, so let's just move on.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 203