Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 498329 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #5055 on: July 21, 2023, 05:31:40 am »

I don’t understand what a ‘shell’ is, but I’ll give reinstalling xfce a go in a bit and see if that works.

Edit: looking at the photos I took, when I used the “startxfce4” command, I got a fatal server error: “Server is already active for display 0”. If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again.”

EDIT 2: This morning I ran ‘sudo apt update’ and ‘sudo apt upgrade’, which caused the new nvidia driver to be installed (535, I was previously using 530). I’ve tried using ‘startx’. Last time I did this, it appeared to freeze, but maybe I just need to wait long enough?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:07:31 am by AzyWng »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: July 21, 2023, 08:02:26 am »

It's possible X just crashed when loading at some point and left its lock file in place.

(also, a "Shell" is the command line.  There are many different command interpreters that can be used with linux, and so they are all generalized as "A shell". The default one for xubuntu is bash.)

Try this:

sudo rm /.tmp/.X0.lock

If possible, get me the highlight reel from

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

as well.  If X crashed, this will tell me why.

Anything starting with "EE" in front of the line is meaningful.

For now, just delete the lock file and see if that solves your problem.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 12:28:48 pm by wierd »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: July 21, 2023, 08:20:27 am »

“cannot remove ‘/.tmp/.X0.lock’: no such file or directory”.

Tried to use ‘startxfce4’ instead, but got the “server already running” issue, and a message prompting me to remove ‘/tmp/.X0-lock’ and start again.

I removed the file with ‘sudo rm’, but when trying to use ‘startxfce4’ again, I got an error saying “_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: …SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn’t already running”.

Then I got a message saying “Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyxinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: resource temporarily unavailable
xinit: server error”
I’m also prompted to check the log file at “home/arthur/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log”, though idk how to view log files in the shell.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: July 21, 2023, 08:21:42 am »

EDIT 2: This morning I ran ‘sudo apt update’ and ‘sudo apt upgrade’, which caused the new nvidia driver to be installed (535, I was previously using 530). I’ve tried using ‘startx’. Last time I did this, it appeared to freeze, but maybe I just need to wait long enough?

Yup. Horked up nvidia drivers. Figures.

You should simply uninstall all the nvidia drivers, and (temporarily) install nouveau
eg:

(and should probably kill the x server first)

sudo killall -9 Xorg

apt-get remove nvidia*
apt-get install nouveau

This will make the machine boot to a gui, but wont have the fastest GPU acceleration.   You can then use the "hardware Drivers" applet to reinstall the nvidia drivers CORRECTLY.

EDIT:

To view the log file, use nano.

eg,

nano /var/log/Xorg.0.log

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:24:12 am by wierd »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: July 21, 2023, 08:27:23 am »

“Unable to locate package nouveau”

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: July 21, 2023, 08:29:33 am »

(googles)

ok

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: July 21, 2023, 08:32:11 am »

Got a message saying that is already the newest version (1:1.0.17-2build1) and is set to manually installed.

Also got a list of packages automatically installed and no longer required.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: July 21, 2023, 08:33:02 am »

ok then!  With the Xserver killed, and nvidia purged, reboot and see what happens

you can trigger a reboot on the command line with:

sudo reboot now
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:35:24 am by wierd »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: July 21, 2023, 08:49:04 am »

I got the desktop environment back. Tried to install the 535 driver. Got some error icon with no message. Tried to install the 525 driver. Rebooted to a black screen with a cursor, then control-alt-f3’d to the shell. Tried to install the 535 driver since the 530 driver wasn’t listed in the list of available drivers (shell or hardware drivers applet).

Removed the nvidia drivers and rebooted again.

Now I’m back on the desktop environment, using the noveau driver.

I’m not sure what can be done about the nvidia driver, but at least I’ve got my desktop back.

EDIT: I happen to have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile, and the drivers being listed include:
535-server-open
450-server
535-server
525-server
418-server
525-open
535-open
470-server
noveau (which I'm currently using).

I'm not sure which one I should go to the trouble of getting after all that stress over the previous install not working for me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:57:10 am by AzyWng »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: July 21, 2023, 09:28:34 am »

completely removing the horked up nvidia drivers with

sudo apt-get remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

rebooting

THEN using the hardware drivers applet.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: July 21, 2023, 09:52:52 am »

Tried that. Tried reinstalling the nvidia driver metapackage 535 from the applet. Again, rebooted and got an error when rebooting. I copied this from a photo on my phone so it may not be accurate:

32.087458] ACPI Error: No handler for Region [VRTC] (000000000a149126) [SystemCMOS] (20220331/evregion-180)
32.087539] ACPI Error: Region SystemCHOS (ID-5) has no handler (20220381/exfidio-261)
32.087617] ACPI Error: Aborting method \
_SB.PCIO.LPCB.EC._Q9A due to previous error (AE _NOT_EXIST) (20220331/psparse-529)

Purged and then rebooted, so now I’m back on nouveau again.

And now I don’t know which nvidia driver I should install, if any.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: July 21, 2023, 10:12:26 am »

Well past this point, having seemingly resolved it (or, rather, got through to the next layer, or two, of problems), but from
"[...] remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again.”
“cannot remove ‘/.tmp/.X0.lock’: no such file or directory”.
...perhaps the difference between
/tmp/.X0-lock
and
/.tmp/.X0.lock
...could just be a transcribing error on here, but if you need to know more about what you're prodding and poking here then do ask. You've got some good knowledgable guys here.

And though you were told to use nano to read a logfile, perhaps get to know about one or other of more, most or less commands (essentially the same, from your perspective, despite perhaps it looking like you have opposits there). You can either pipe another unpaginated output (e.g. cat filename.ext | more, or cat filename.ext | less, which will paginate it and let you scan it in ways that the respective man-pages should explain) or give whichever command the filename directly (e.g. less filename.ext, or the rest) and it'll work on that rather than the piped stream of output from something else. Depends what you want to manually move through, and perhaps more useful piped from a grep command, if you know how to do the appropriate grep-Fu on something but still get far too much/too quick an output.

There's also things like the tail command. Either piping in or naming the file, it'll (by default) return the last ...10..? lines. I tend to give it the number of lines I want, e.g. tail -n 35 filename.ext (check the man pages for other things, also to make sure I'm not too used to using a funny version!), or head [various options] filename.ext to see the intro lines instead. Because sometimes you want to see how logfile started instead of/as well as how it finished, but are probably not bothered about much of the middle. You can cat the file and take the bits that don't scroll off the top or  more/less/etc it and quit once you've scanned the bit you want, but if you know you can save time. And, at others, you can find they work best for you in a shell-scripted review process, and/or in onward piping. Say "from the last 100 lines, display all lines that don't include something(s) mundane enough to skip, but then display them sorted (and perhaps rolling duplicate lines into just one unique example each) by some useful criteria"... which may not be a common need, but knowing how to do all that manually, and/or by an alias/shellscript for frequently repeated needs, will almost certainly make you able to handle many not so convoluted command-line needs in future.

No rush, but (especially if you lose the GUI again) understanding the shell environment and the usual complement of built-in/near-as-damnit-built-in shell commands can be rewarding. And, at times, inspiring. Well, maybe. ;)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: July 21, 2023, 10:20:47 am »

I think you might be overestimating my knowledge.

I don't even know what you mean when you say "pipe" or "unpaginated".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: July 21, 2023, 10:21:01 am »

Well done, wierd. Gotta love Nvidia...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: July 21, 2023, 02:09:55 pm »

Decided to try installing 525 since 535 didn’t seem to work. Rebooted to a black screen with a blinking cursor. After a few minutes, I got a message reading “hdaudio hdaudioCOD2: Unable to configure, disabling”.

Cursor’s still blinking.
I’ll give it a few more minutes, then uninstall and try a different driver.

I’m beginning to get sick of this…

Edit:
Tried installing through the command line (using sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall). Still didn’t work.

Does anyone know where I should go to get help with this?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 02:36:45 pm by AzyWng »
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 348