Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 438580 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1950 on: August 14, 2020, 08:06:18 am »

I stand by my suggestion that this is just the default Sans used by whatever windowing/widgeting library is being used. Colours have been messed with, the arty framework has been set up as inage-labelling and/or frame elements. It's more the layout/philosophy (compared with ANSII interface) on show there, rather than pixels all in their new permanent places with their new permanent colours.

Though the twiddly framing bits that are there do look nice. Some might say the corners are convoluted/overly-intricate, perhaps looking more important than their role as boundary connector, but I think it's a current style that works in context. How the final result looks (some more tweaks, maybe some untweaks as the whole glorious whole is judged in balance with itself across all sub-screens) is anybody's guess. Even Toady's.

(Originally written in response to ror6ax, but without changing a word of my digression, trying to get back On-Topic a bit, it maybe acts as a response to points just given by Oab.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 14, 2020, 11:39:14 am »

:
Like Vordak suggests, I think increasing the sprite icon size to at least 64x64 and the font associated with it would be a good start.

Having the icons in a pool rather than a list would also reduce the need for scrolling which helps reduce information overload. Players will find it more palatable with large icons. The icons of the sprite functioning as a quick visual identifier are of key importance.
:
64*64 icons would mean the artists would have to make a large number of such icons (or scale the current ones up, which I suspect will be ugly when each pixel becomes a 2*2 block).
If the suggestion of a "pool" for icons means that only the currently selected items have icons displayed off to the side, then I don't know how it will look. I'm definitely in favor of things that cuts down on scrolling, but I don't know if it will look odd when implemented.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 14, 2020, 12:09:00 pm »

The suggestion is in the order of delirium.
This will increase the number of items displayed in the column, need just  to reduce the line with item description(text window) vertically (not shown in pic).

P.s. If you are viewing an animal that is larger in size 32x32, than, maybe, 2x scale don't needed.
P.s.s. Background of window with item pic also must change color by side, where you select it item.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:25:36 am by Vordak »

BLazerules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: August 14, 2020, 04:03:46 pm »

One thing I'd like to note is that it's difficult to see the icons. They kind of blend with their background, especially if they are small icons. I'm not sure what coloured background would alleviate this.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: August 14, 2020, 06:39:56 pm »

One thing I'd like to note is that it's difficult to see the icons. They kind of blend with their background, especially if they are small icons. I'm not sure what coloured background would alleviate this.
True black might be a good fit. It depends a bit on display settings, but with how light the current "black" is, that would provide a pretty stark contrast on any display I've got, at least.

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 14, 2020, 07:20:54 pm »

@ Patriklundell: I was suggesting more pixel real estate for the sprites, not the sprites themselves. Some things would be clipped out and look silly if there isn’t enough room to show the full sprite. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

Doubling the scale wouldn’t impact the visual negatively as long as the ratio is consistent. Vordak’s above mockup is an example of that. There would be no additional work for the artists on that front, especially if it’s just scaling the sprites up. New icons for each category would be a nice touch though, and most certainly worth it.

@Vordak: That’s why I said pool. It wouldn’t be just one column, but however many can fit within the pixel real estate. As you say, just shrink the oversized text box rows to allow space for those columns. Your solution still maintains only one column which I don’t believe is ideal. I really like the scaled up selected item in your mockup, nice idea.

In the screenshot those rows contain 728 pixels and the column portion is 36. Using 64 pixels per icon would be 10 columns, or 20 if it’s kept at 36 pixels. I don’t have time right now to do a mockup, so for an example just imagine each side having 10 columns per category and however many rows. This would be displayed under each header which by default should be shrunk.

As far as other options to address these changes; the text headers could still remain as is, or become an icon themselves. A number overlay could be used to indicate quantity within the icon or a separate box designated elsewhere, or a tool tip could be used to indicate these things. My suggestion would be to have independent icons for each object regardless of duplication. This would be for ease of visual understanding as text is going to be avoided by most steam users by default.

There are a slew of options that could be discussed with how to handle all of that though.

The main issue I am seeing with the screenshot is the lack of information being presented to the player. What is the difference between x leather item and y leather items? What do I actually need to survive? Not to sound negative, but this isn’t really an improvement from what is currently in the game in that regard and that is an issue imo.

A tool tip would alleviate some of this problem and act as a pseudo tutorial as I suggested before in the other thread. Just adding a brief bit of information on the category headers alone would help a lot. This information could be displayed in the center along with the selected sprite like in Vordaks mockup for example. Lots of options to address this concern.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:23:18 pm by Oab »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: August 14, 2020, 08:24:03 pm »

A UI suggestion (sorry if these are annoying and off topic). Since the categories are collapsible add a total count of the category to the category bar. That way when we can collapse the buckets, save screen space but have a quick reference to know we have 3 coming with us.

So when a lot are of collapsed categories you can see a general overview, something like:
▶ 3 Buckets
▶ 3 Splints
▶ 2 Weapons
▶ 15 Thread (Plant)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I completely agree about the collapse triangles.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 14, 2020, 11:52:02 pm »

Spoiler: UI shitty remaster (click to show/hide)

The suggestion is in the order of delirium.
This will increase the number of items displayed in the column, need just  to reduce the line with item description(text window) vertically (not shown in pic).

P.s. If you are viewing an animal that is larger in size 32x32, than, maybe, 2x scale don't needed.
P.s.s. Background of window with item pic also must change color by side, where you select it item.
I like the little icons on each line and oppose their removal as depicted here.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 15, 2020, 04:26:01 am »

I suggest a compromise.

Remove the graphical icon that's so much bigger than the text it has to share the row with, but replace it with a mnemonic or otherwise illustrative text character!

I'm sure we could come up with a clever system. Maybe û for bucket, because it looks very amazingly like one, but use H for horse because nothing does...

:P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:29:04 am by Starver »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 15, 2020, 05:03:29 am »

The main issue I am seeing with the screenshot is the lack of information being presented to the player. What is the difference between x leather item and y leather items? What do I actually need to survive? Not to sound negative, but this isn’t really an improvement from what is currently in the game in that regard and that is an issue imo.
The current game already offers a starter embark profile so new people won't ever have to think about this. This is the advanced, "prepare things to minute detail" options menu. And minute detail is a dwarf fortress selling point.

Some will skip the tutorial and dive into the advanced menus of course, but, well, not much you can do about those people.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:06:18 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 15, 2020, 05:41:01 am »

Seconded, showing the actual sprites like that is perfect (not necessarily the size/background color, but the concept).

Though keeping them the same size is probably good for consistency so people more easily recognise and learn what is what.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:43:22 am by Manveru Taurënér »

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 15, 2020, 07:33:20 am »

This is how I understand Oab's suggestions. Sorry, if I misinterpreted them and thereby discredited the Oab's ideas.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:25:11 am by Vordak »

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 15, 2020, 09:32:02 am »

@Vordak:  It's not quite what I had in mind, here is more of what I was thinking.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't touch the right side, but something like the left side should be on the right as well.

I think its pretty clear with this crude version how the information is easier to digest. This could easily be further improved upon in that regard. (Open the image in a new tab for better viewing)

@Shonai_Dweller: Yeah I am aware of that, but that doesn't change my point. I disagree that you can’t do much about those people, and I actually think those people have the most potential of posting negative reviews. I've seen steam reviews be negative for less.

This whole venture isn't to appeal to current players, it’s mostly going to garner attention from players who play games like Rimworld. Rimworld is actually in the "More like this" category under the steam page already. I think the feedback being given should be more aligned with that fact.

Edit: Forgot to mention the number icon on the first seed could be used, or the multiplicative icons. I prefer the latter.

Also the first seed being highlighted makes the lower information box appear.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:48:52 am by Oab »

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 15, 2020, 10:03:43 am »

Use spoilers!

Here a couple problems.
1)It is quite inconvenient to pointing at item in one part of the window, when move the mouse cursor to the opposite corner to perform certain actions.
Spoiler: Possible solution (click to show/hide)

2)When there is only an icon, it is inconvenient to identify similar items, like backpacks, which will only slightly differ in colors by material.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:27:04 am by Vordak »

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 15, 2020, 10:57:11 am »

Yeah those are good points. I was thinking the tool tip window would be a new window at the cursor location, but I am not sure how feasible that would be to code in.

That box could technically go anywhere though. The solution you posted would be a good option.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 178