Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Shortest Lived Forts  (Read 43052 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Lived Forts
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 04:45:46 am »

40d. Haunted biome. There was an open magma pipe. The zombie fire imp got the dwarves before they finished the moat that I had designated (~10x10 tiles it was supposed to secure.)

Actually, no. That lasted longer than the following:

40d. Neutral biome. There was an open magma pipe. The Magma Man got the miner as soon as he started to dig a moat.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 05:30:36 am »

For me, that would be when I chose a haunted frozen tundra area for a fort. Right after embark some skeleton muskox decided to use my dwarfs as punching bags for their ramming techniques. When I reclaimed, there were skeleton elks who did the same thing.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 06:36:48 am »

Skelephants are just like the elephants of old
three days.
THREE DAYS.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

TheHaunted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 04:18:22 pm »

Let's see, the shortest fort involved my first attempt at settling in a nontropical biome.  My dwarfs spawned on top of a hill next to a wolf pack.  The wolves chased the dwarfs off the hill, and then the local cave inhabitants decided to pay a visit.  A few giant cave spiders cocooned every living thing on the map and then enjoyed a feast.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:14 pm »

embarked in a place where the lakes freeze seasonally.  My wagon happened to spawn right on a frozen lake and I didn't know till it thawed, while ALL 7 OF MY DWARVES WERE STANDING ON IT.

They drowned.

Now, that is an awesome wipe out.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 04:54:16 pm »

Hey, let's see how deep I can dig.  One stairway wide, all the way down!  Past two caverns and even deeper.  Everyone died from HFS in under a month.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »

Embarked in a plain old swamp, alligators came out and ate everyone in the first season.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 09:11:49 pm »

Lessee...I just tried about ten embarks on a terrifying ocean/desert biome. All resultet in the following kinds of things:

• I forget to desalinate the pond water, everybody dies of thirst.
  • A zombie giant desert scorpion makes his home on our stockpile, everybody starves/dies of thirst.
  • Zombie 1/2-Humped Camels kick the dwarves' brains out
  • A skeletal dogfish treads upon land, slightly injures a dog. Two seasons later, eight skeletal whales land, and proceed to kill positively every last living thing in the fort, including dwarves, traders and animals.
  • Trying to desalinate seawater, I flood the fort. Very slowly, mind you, since it's depressurised, but it sets me back so far that...everybody does of thirst.

The camels were the most frequent offenders by far, by the way.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:31 pm »

A friend told me about Dwarf Fortress. I downloaded the game, spent about an hour picking location, equipment, skills. Spend about another hour deciphering the interface and laying down my initial plans. I unpause. Everybody dies. Confused, I try to reclaim. Everybody dies. Try to embark in the same place, and three more times, everybody dies.

I email my friend. He comes over the next day. I show him.

"Oh, there's a carp in that pond," he says.

"Carp?"

"Yeah. Check the wiki."

"Wiki? There's a wiki?"

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2010, 09:45:17 pm »

5. Trying to desalinate seawater, I flood the fort. Very slowly, mind you, since it's depressurised, but it sets me back so far that...everybody does of thirst.
Water water, everywhere! But not a drop to drink~.

My shortest lived fort wasn't quite the shortest, nor was it the most embarrassing, but it is a case most unusual!
I was trying out for the first time Perfect World, but, I forgot to edit the rather sketchy temperature settings I had for the generation. It generated okay, and I embarked on a road right between two elven cities. I saw the temperature was listed as "Scorching", but I didn't take any notice of it, as I figured I could just dig to the aquifer for water.
I embark. Everything looks normal.

:First Unpause:
All the water on the map evaporates instantly. This was the first sign that something was up.. But, I remembered it /WAS/ a hot area, so I figured I'd get down to that water quickly to make sure no one dies of thirst. I pause and designate the first set of digs.

:Second Unpause:
Everyone begins walking around, but no one goes to follow orders, I didn't notice this at the time because I was too busy looking around at the dried up lakes. I pause again pretty quickly to look at the landscape and plan my overland constructions in my head.

:Third Unpause:
I'm greeted by the message: "Kitten (tame) has died."
I go back over to the Caravan to see that actually everyone is writhing about in pain.
First off, all the pets die, shortly followed by all seven of my dwarves melting away.

Turns out those fishy temperatures had set the area just a few degrees under the temperature of magma. So now I carry the burden of those poor Dwarves' lives... And the knowledge I managed to make grass grow in magma-heat!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2010, 09:56:13 pm »

Grass is the most virulent plant in the world. It will grow almost anywhere.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2010, 09:56:47 pm »

Grass is the most virulent plant in the world. It will grow almost anywhere.
And you can plant aboveground crops on it, correct?
I can, at least.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2010, 10:04:36 pm »

True, but I was half expecting the aquifer to be full of magma at that heat.
...Oddly didn't see any booze explosions...
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2010, 11:33:45 pm »

I accidentally created a world with a minimum temperature of 500.

On embark, my cats spontaneously combusted and the wagon exploded, the two combined set the Dwarves on fire and that was the end of that.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 06:44:44 am »

I accidentally created a world with a minimum temperature of 500.

On embark, my cats spontaneously combusted and the wagon exploded, the two combined set the Dwarves on fire and that was the end of that.
I'm gonna sig that if i have enough room.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15