Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Friday Poll #11: How much do you play games on other forums?

Never, I only play here.
- 2 (28.6%)
On rare occasions I play elsewhere.
- 2 (28.6%)
A bit less than I play here.
- 1 (14.3%)
About as often as I play here.
- 1 (14.3%)
Usually more than I play here.
- 1 (14.3%)
Almost always, I rarely play here.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Top Forum Games: Daily voting on today's trending forum games.  (Read 22108 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top Forum Games
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2017, 03:32:32 am »

I suspect that one could argue that all of the current poll options already exist and will continue to do so. It really depends upon your definition of "forum games". I feel that they would need to take place on a forum... Forums tend to have difficulty establishing themselves without some major founding element, such as a game about drunk dorfs. It is typically difficult to run a commercial operation within someone else's house... People will always form communities around projects and communities will always play and that seems like a reliable future for forum games. Any of the other options are possible and could potentially become major influences, but that all seems highly speculative.

And then there is the issue of things changing when they become commercial. It is certainly not universal, but it does raise the question of how much a forum game can change and still be a forum game...

They certainly do have value, but people generally host them because they want to. It can also be said that the participants also have value, I could certainly see people paying to gain access to players if there was a framework in place such that no other way to get them existed, some sort of totalitarian internet horror wherein all threads required payment to the world authority and allowing others to use your thread for their own project was punishable by death... I have nothing against anyone who wishes to sell their forum game, but I do not see it being a thing that has any prospects in the absence of a massive amount of ground-work setting up an environment in which it can be marketed successfully, to the extent that people would likely need financial backing just like most other commercial projects. It also becomes a bit messy when you are sellng a creative work which has contributions from others...

Ultimately, the game-host is free to do whatever they like, game-players do not have any intrinsic right to games. Likewise, hosts have no intrinsic right to players. That said. Web of Life is great and thus has an intrinsic right to players, where are they all? I am simultaneously plodding around in an uncomfortably empty room and terrified that I have somehow ruined it by hogging all the suggestions, or intruding too much into the character's personality or something... Well, I can but vote I suppose...

+1 Web of Life: A Drider's Tale.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2017, 10:34:38 pm »

They certainly do have value, but people generally host them because they want to.

Not a conflict.
Awesome With Autism

“The art of life is to live in the present moment.”
— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2017, 11:03:12 pm »

EXPIRED
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2017, 11:10:03 pm »

Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »

Today, I Vote for "Top Forum Games"
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »

Ptw too!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2017, 11:26:10 am »

Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2017, 02:16:58 pm »

Friday Poll #7: What is the future of forum games?
Designers will continue to make and host games as a hobby only.- 12 (85.7%)
Designers will sell instructions(game books like D&D) for others to host.- 0 (0%)
Designers will make a forum game site and earn money from advertising or membership.- 1 (7.1%)
Designers will increase the qualify of their games to that of other game mediums and charge admission or rely on supporter funding.- 1 (7.1%)
Total Members Voted: 14

Friday Poll #8: What is your preferred "production value" of forum games?

RAFFLE

...ME!

Hmm what game deserves some spotlight.... Hmm.

Hehehe. Welp, gunna need this. *Flame Shield Activate*

Yeah I'll choose Forum Runner.

I don't expect it to pick up this time, but maybe with a nudge, well probably not still. This is the third Forum Runner, and 2nd hosted by me. I want to give a shout out to my predecessor Rethi-Eli, who jumped at the chance to host. Its a hard project to pull off. Yet the potential is great. We need nominations for players. Consider writing a heart felt good word or two about a Bay12 peer, and sending it to my inbox. Nominations are anonymous. The challenge lasts 2 months.

Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2017, 08:44:44 pm »

Today, I Vote for "Top Forum Games"

Ptw too!

Keep up the votes guys. I love the idea of a sandcastle awards thread.

There have been some consistent voters, the thread gets a lot of views, yet I feel I may not be serving as wide an audience as intended. That this endeavor is more niche than designed. We'll I suppose the best things are.

Vote=TES
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2017, 05:42:26 am »

Web of Lifes have been known to kill off your favourite *spoiler*s. If you suspect that a Web of Life may be operating in your area, boycott it immediately and report to the proper authorities without delay.

The next poster wants to vote for intercontinental arms race, but feels shy about doing so after I said as much...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2017, 02:35:11 pm »

“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2017, 05:14:29 am »

Web of life needs votes, badly.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »

*Ferris Bueller*
You're still here??

.. what do you guys think of a Google doc like dis?

Edit: fixd grammar, thx voice to text
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:29:09 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2019, 03:19:16 am »

Back in 2017 I ran this thread which was modeled after the website "Top Web Comics". Eventually I stopped and headed up the similar but different Forum Game List. I want to revisit this idea. The big criticism was that, well highly active games already get attention by nature of being active, and staying at the top of the forum. But why am I back then? Top Forum Games was fun. It only ended, because I locked it. Weekly community polls, the ability for fans of a game to toast to the creator, and for them to respond. It was a popularity contest, that was also magical and heart-warming. So while it is the microphone of The Game List for the game host to say "hello, this is my world", Top Forum Games is the microphone of the players to say "thank you, we love it".

So is this a "Hall of Fame"? Not really. The focus is on what is currently being voted for, it is my belief that this keeps things feeling relevant, and less like a dusty archive. However as this is a thread, and significant milestones are formally congratulated within the thread, the body of this thread does serve that function. Since participants can repeat their vote over and over, there is no barrier for even very small games to reach the highest acclaim.

One change that I must make in 2019, is no more voting for your own game.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:21:00 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16