Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning "transhuman" civ using interactions for cyborging  (Read 1894 times)

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Planning "transhuman" civ using interactions for cyborging
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:33 am »

I was wondering if it might be possible to cybernetically alter a creature with interactions, for example some kind of syndrome which removes an Eye and adds a cybernetic eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Planning "transhuman" civ using interactions for cyborging
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:41:50 am »

Well, it's perfectly possible to remove a part and add another by simply swapping 2 bodies. I've not done much science into what is retained when they swap though.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:43 am »

I was wondering if it might be possible to cybernetically alter a creature with interactions, for example some kind of syndrome which removes an Eye and adds a cybernetic eye
Try using castes, and transformation syndromes. You'll have to hard-code the details but that will give you some (limited) options.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:58 am »

Hm so I wont be able to selectively replace specific body parts? well, still should be interesting. also, is there any way to make interactions require specific items to be held?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:48:14 am by Starmantis »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:56 am »

Yeah, now it's possible. That's how I made ghoulification and mutation in DF Wasteland as well.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:45:39 am »

How would I go about doing this? and would NPC "cyberneticists" use it on people?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:42 am »

Check the eagle transformation in my Witcher mod or a sample interaction in the example folder to see how it's done.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:01:52 am »

Doesnt that COMPLETELY change you into an eagle rather than say, give you a new eye.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:02:48 am »

I made a workshop which sprays the syndrome onto the user. So that's one way to apply.

You have the reaction drop a stone which is set to boil away, that stone carries the desired syndrome.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »

While this is indeed possible, it's more than likely that changing the creature type permanently (even to another caste within the same creature) will change not only the bodyparts different in the new caste, but also the various attributes (both physical/mental attributes as well as cosmetic attributes such as hair color, height, etc.). However, I haven't had the opportunity to test what changes across the whole creature when transforming it into a similar caste.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »

Bro, have you considered making a mod that allows a transformation to replace lost limbs with magma powered magical stone limbs?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:56:35 am »

I dont think my Want is understood, Im looking for a way to simply change individual bodyparts without major change to creatures.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

Your want is understood, but you misunderstand the given answers.

NO, you cant add or replace a limb.
YES, you can tranform the entire creature.

SOLUTION: Transform your normal dwarf into a normal dwarf with steel arms. Leave everything in the create raws as it is, just mod the arms to be different.

Then make a another interaction that transform a steel-arm dwarf into a steel-arm and steel-leg dwarf, and so on, till you cyber them out completely.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 01:59:03 pm »

I think you can have an interaction add a tag like [BODY:2WINGS] to give your dwarves wings, or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 06:39:27 pm »

Nope, the add tag thing only works with the exact set of tags Toady needed to make his zombie thing work. It's in the change log, and if your token to add is not on that list, you out of luck. It does not include body tags, btw.

The options are :-

1. Make a syndrome which permanenrly gives the benefits of the cybernetic eye. Name it "cybernetic eye" and just pretend they got the eye. Advantage being that the syndrome can work for multiple species. and doesn't need to alter the races. Also, syndromes can be stacked so you can have separate syndromes for each "upgrade".

2. Make a caste (or new male/female castes) which modify the body of the target race with the new eye etc. Use transformation syndrome to the change the creature that way. Single species only, and you gotta mod the race to make this work. And it's an either / or thing with upgrades. (or you could simulate a matrix of castes with various upgrade combos, but that's a LOT of work)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:41:42 pm by Reelya »