Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Reality, The Universe and the World. Which will save us from AI?

Reality
- 13 (68.4%)
Universe
- 3 (15.8%)
The World
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]

Author Topic: What will save us from AI? Reality, the Universe or The World $ Place your bet.  (Read 26837 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I saw a screenshot today of someone saying something like "I want AI to do laundry and wash dishes so I can make art. I don't want AI to make art so I can do do laundry and dishes."

I thought this was pretty insightful... the things for which people are doing AI today are the "fun" things... why aren't we using AI for the "tedious" things?

We already partially automated laundry and dishes with machines.

Also, this is silly. People didn't stop playing chess because we created machines that not only play chess, they play chess so much better that the best of us can't compete.

I actually love what AI made to visual art. It showed true value of low-level artists who have no true creativity or talent only skills of drawing. And that value is not high. Drawing, minus the creativity part, is not different than any other profession that requires fine motor skills and some basic knowledge and can be easily replaced with a math model.

Going back to the chess analogy. We are at the point where we have AIs that can beat people who barely know how pieces move. AI does perform basic task of "draw me a cute puppy in Pixar style" better than unskilled artists (and faster) but it can't compete with skilled people. Yet. And I am very skeptical that it will be any time soon. but it is already a cool tool for those skilled people allowing them to do more in less time - like every automation.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

I would say its more like photography. People still paint, but there is a reason the line of the old masters stopped once photography was invented.

LLM's will be the same for writing. Some people will still write for fun (and will continue to do so, even if AI writing improves to superhuman levels), but most people will stop taking the energy to learn how to write and won't try to pursue it as a career or skill. I have no doubt that as a direct result of AI there will be less human writers, and the quality of human writing in general will go significantly down.

Art is a bit of a different story since as of now AI art is fundamentally and obviously lacking compared to highly skilled humans. But if AI does actually catch up to skilled humans then the same thing will happen to art and artists as well.
and then I manually reworded a few sentences to fool those AI detectors, the professor didn't suspect a thing!)
The new way for teachers to check if you had an AI write your essay is to force you to send it as word file or google doc then check the document history, which makes it completely obvious if you had an AI generate the whole thing since actually mimicking the way a human writes word by word is impossible for current AI.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGhcSupkNs8
Speaking of artists I cannot recommend Bobby Fingers highly enough. Watch the video above, he is a true artist. AI and robotics has quite a ways to go before they can hope to reach him.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]