Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3007 3008 [3009] 3010 3011 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006220 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45120 on: March 03, 2014, 07:13:19 pm »

Germany is very different from here then. Public schools do not have to be secular here, and if you can't find a school that suits your beliefs nearby you can home-school your kids. With practically no checks or control on what you actually teach 'em. Or if you teach them anything, for that matter.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45121 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »

This really sounds like something trumped up. I seriously doubt the teachers were encouraging occultism, and even if they were, what's the harm? So long as no one's getting hurt I don't see a problem (so keep the ritual knives away).

Also sex ed better damn well be explicit or it's useless.

I support homeschooling in the US but only because the public schools are terrible. If they got like, 10x the funding (not even joking) then I might reconsider.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45122 on: March 03, 2014, 07:17:41 pm »

encouraging occultism
Wat.
As I understand it, some kids were doing occult-y things on the playground. The teachers thought it was funny, so they brought the kids materials and books and whatnot.
I don't see the problem. It's just a school group/club/[word that means the thing I'm trying to say].
The thing is, the teachers were actually encouraging it. In addition, they objected to explicit sex ed, which apparently actually included the German equivalent of the F-bomb. 
It really boils down to this family wanting the freedom to educate their children according to their beliefs. Germany suppresses homeschooling in the first place for anti-religious reasons, and the United States of America supposedly ensures religious freedom.
Actually, they were originally granted asylum. The ICE appealed the case a few years later.
I... don't have any particular sympathy for them. To me they just sound prude and uptight. Being upset over a perfectly fair education system is certainly not something you need to seek asylum from.
It's not like the school is forcing anyone into joining in with the "occult-y things", they're just supporting students who want to explore their spiritual beliefs. That would be part of the "freedom of religion" you think is a good thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #45123 on: March 03, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »

There are, in fact, a few checks. You have to keep a few records, pass a few tests, and submit to an inspection once or twice.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #45124 on: March 03, 2014, 07:20:54 pm »

Also, five bucks says that the school would come down harder that a five ton bratwurst on any teacher who gave a student a Bible.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45125 on: March 03, 2014, 07:22:44 pm »

Well in reality it's probably a much more dangerous book :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #45126 on: March 03, 2014, 07:23:33 pm »

Definitely more dangerous than listening to dead relatives while being stoned out of your mind.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #45127 on: March 03, 2014, 07:26:21 pm »

Well, of course it's more dangerous. Some of those hardback copies can do some damage if you get a proper swing.

Seriously, though, I can see this debate is going nowhere fast, so I'll just drop it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #45128 on: March 03, 2014, 07:28:08 pm »

IIRC thick paperbacks can actually be more dangerous if you hold them properly since they have sharper corners.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45129 on: March 03, 2014, 07:28:56 pm »

Yeah. I mean, bible tells you to stone people for so much as saying "fuck you dad.". Last bad thing occultism did was... Uhm...

Look kind of silly?

Though, really, same thing could be said about the Bible. :P

wait aren't you the same guy who hates the gay marriaging? >:I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45130 on: March 03, 2014, 07:30:14 pm »

C'mon folks, tahujdt said he was gonna drop this :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #45131 on: March 03, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »

Yeah, discussing religion is theoretically possible, but doing so while derailing a thread is probably not going to end well :x

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #45132 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »

Yeah, I realized a long time ago that I'm outnumbered, so it's not worth the argument.

Also, marriaging isn't a verb. Just saying. :P

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45133 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »

WELL IT SHOULD BE A VERB.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45134 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:51 pm »

Also, five bucks says that the school would come down harder that a five ton bratwurst on any teacher who gave a student a Bible.
Nope, not true at all. German schools aren't antireligious at all, but they do have a very strict separation policy regarding religious and nonreligious stuff: Basically, schools have a set of "religion" classes alongside all other classes, and each child goes into the class of his belief (or none if no sufficiently similar class exists). In most smaller schools, the only available classes are Catholic and Protestant, but I've heard of larger schools where they have some kind of Islamic classes too. It's a great way to prevent schools from becoming single-denomination, and it definitely encourages interreligious tolerance.

But there's definitely no antireligious enforcement of any sort, and there is definitely no conflict of beliefs going on (unless, of course, you'd count science as conflicting with your beliefs, in which case we'd rather teach your kids science instead).

PPE: This is not part of any argument, it's just a public service anouncement.
Pages: 1 ... 3007 3008 [3009] 3010 3011 ... 10974