Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Sad Tale of Feb Betananol  (Read 1652 times)

fungaroo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Sad Tale of Feb Betananol
« on: June 09, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »

Feb Betananol arrived at Tongshealed late in the summer of 263, accompanied by his youngest daughter, Degel Vabokniles. Feb hoped for a new start at Tongshealed, and to forget the turmoil that led him and his youngest daughter here, while his wife and two older children stayed behind in his wife's ancestral home.

Feb was renowned for his physique and physical prowess, making his chosen profession of clothier a confusing one, until one saw his work, firsthand. His strong, powerful hands were surprisingly delicate and agile when handling the materials of his trade, allowing him to construct works of beauty and functionality.

Degel was a happy child, who loved to play outdoors, adventuring through the woods and streams surrounding Tongshealed's surface entrance. She wandered far and wide, but always found her way home. And then, on the last day of Obsidian, 263, tragedy struck.

Degel was out on one of her usual adventures through the woods, when all went silent around her. The birds, the insects, and all the other imperceptible sounds that make up the aural tapestry of a forest, went completely silent. A shadow appeared ahead of Degel, walking slowly toward her, eyes glowing amber. A few short moments later, it was all over for young Degel.

The wereass, who was known as Anala Lofocco, sated her crazed hungering for flesh and blood with one more dwarf that day, only afterwards returning to her natural Elf form. She fled in horror at the death she had caused, never to be seen again by dwarf, elf or man.

Feb laid his youngest daughter to rest shortly afterwards, tears stinging his eyes. Drowning himself in drink, Feb survived his grief for a few brief months. And then, early in the month of Felsite, a strange mood woke Feb from his sleep. He yearned for an outlet, a release, but there was no clothier shop in Tongshealed yet, as there was no need so far at the young fortress for new clothes.

The mood persisted for several weeks, finally shattering Feb's mind. A deep melancholy replaced the mania, causing Feb to withdraw from the world even further. The melancholy consumed Feb completely, the once hopeful clothier now ignoring all the requirements of life, like food and water. He persisted this way for a number of weeks, his once powerful frame withering away to a gaunt shadow of itself. His skilled and delicate hands became twisted and gnarled like the claws of some beast due to a nervous tic he developed following Degel's death.

Finally, Feb's body gave out late in the month of Galena due to dehydration. He was laid to rest next to his beloved Degel, finally finding the peace that had eluded him for so long in life.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Tale of Feb Betananol
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:46:02 pm »

... You'd be surprised at little thought we give to dwarven famicide here at bay12. Though this may be your first instance, you'll quickly grow callous to it.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:13 pm »

... You'd be surprised at little thought we give to dwarven famicide here at bay12. Though this may be your first instance, you'll quickly grow callous to it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0 - the daycare thread kinda sums it up.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:47:39 am »

Though tit is emotional when you7 wire it like that.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 08:16:44 am »

Though tit is emotional when you7 wire it like that.

He gave it a personality and a soul!!! This not the Dorfish way! Repent of thy sins sinner!

In all seriousness, a good narrative, you should head over to Doomforest and read it... I'll see you next week :D
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

fungaroo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:02:08 am »

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I'm brand new here on the forums, and it looks like I've got some learning to do about what kind of content people like. That being said, DF is the only thing that brings my writing out of me anymore, and I've always written sad stuff better than anything else. Thanks again for taking the time to read!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 11:40:21 am »

Not everyone is quite as jaded as those folks ;). At least not all the time.

Welcome to forums!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:41:35 am »

I've reached the point where sad is enjoyable but not at the same time. Is this normal?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 08:12:52 pm »

You should take control of any surviving family member as an adventurer and hunt down the wereass. Take its head back as a trophy and lay betwixt the graves.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Xgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:44:59 pm »

10/10 would cry again. :'(