Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Sex  (Read 32900 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Sex
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2016, 03:31:27 pm »

I think the main issue is adventure mode, not fort mode.

It's easy to do all kinds of things "under the radar" in fort mode, but one of DF's major draws is that anything any NPC can do, you can do as well.  (It doesn't work like that now, but that's the vision.)  So if there's sex, the player must be able to initiate it.  If there's rape, the player must be able to do it as well.

Since romance up to and including sex is considered acceptable in games currently (the Sims had it, right?) I think that they should be possible in adventure mode, but rape adds very little positive value to the game (gameplay-wise, stopping a rapist is conceptually not much different than stopping a thief or a murderer) and would be extremely controversial, so I don't think it's going in regardless of what anyone here thinks.  DF sex will probably just be a thing that can only occur between two consenting adults, initiated through a dialogue option, and that's all there is to it.

There might be some gray areas with coercion though, depending on how logically NPC AI behaves.  If you can coerce an NPC to yield, drop their items, or give in to terms of surrender by threatening them with violence (or applying violence and then threatening with more violence), could you also force someone to submit to sex in the same way?  Of course, they could simply be programmed not to, but this might be glaringly unrealistic if you can coerce them to do anything else.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2016, 07:53:58 pm »

There might be some gray areas with coercion though, depending on how logically NPC AI behaves.  If you can coerce an NPC to yield, drop their items, or give in to terms of surrender by threatening them with violence (or applying violence and then threatening with more violence), could you also force someone to submit to sex in the same way?  Of course, they could simply be programmed not to, but this might be glaringly unrealistic if you can coerce them to do anything else.
"I would do anything for love, anything you've been dreaming of
But I just won't do that."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2016, 08:03:09 pm »

"I would do anything for Armok, anything you've been dreaming of
But I just won't do that."

Fixed that for you.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2016, 02:37:14 am »

. . . rape adds very little positive value to the game and would be extremely controversial, so I don't think it's going in regardless of what anyone here thinks.
I for one don't believe there was ever a fraction of a chance that it would seriously be implemented, but if it's controversy you want, consider for a moment the magnitude of the shitstorm that would ensue if DF Adventure mode were to support rape when (and if) it goes multiplayer.

If you can coerce an NPC to yield, . . . could you also force someone to submit to sex in the same way?  Of course, they could simply be programmed not to, but this might be glaringly unrealistic if you can coerce them to do anything else.
Fun fact: Due to the remarkable (to say the least) contruction of their genitals, female hyenas cannot be raped--penetration can only occur if both animals are sexually excited. Given that the game currently showcases creatures made of bronze and vomit, giving sentient creatures rape-proof genitals hardly seems like a stretch.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2016, 04:16:39 am »

People need to stop bringing this fucking thing back on 'track'.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2016, 10:11:17 am »

. . . rape adds very little positive value to the game and would be extremely controversial, so I don't think it's going in regardless of what anyone here thinks.
I for one don't believe there was ever a fraction of a chance that it would seriously be implemented, but if it's controversy you want, consider for a moment the magnitude of the shitstorm that would ensue if DF Adventure mode were to support rape when (and if) it goes multiplayer.
DF is never going to go multiplayer. There's just no way that's ever going to happen. Especially not adventurer mode. The closest to multiplayer that might ever be implemented is allowing two fortresses in the same world to be played at once with like, monthly resyncs, but even that is definitely not going to happen.

Regardless I'm still against rape being in the game beyond the incredibly abstracted level it already is with night creatures. It's just such a ridiculous claim as adventurer mode being multiplayer needs to be addressed.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2016, 11:06:29 am »

If referencing Obok Meatgod isn't enough to derail this derp thread, nothing can stop the rape train. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

cdru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2016, 11:26:09 pm »

If referencing Obok Meatgod isn't enough to derail this derp thread, nothing can stop the rape train. ;w;
Obok? The one who pinched a girl to death with genitals? Yeah i know that. By the way, how mentioning Meatgod would derail the thread?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2016, 09:46:49 am »

Obok? The one who pinched a girl to death with genitals? Yeah i know that. By the way, how mentioning Meatgod would derail the thread?

It briefly provoked discussion to the effect of "oi we don't talk about that anymore" but didn't keep it off-topic for long. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2016, 11:10:17 pm »

DF sex will probably just be a thing that can only occur between two consenting adults, initiated through a dialogue option, and that's all there is to it.
Obligatory reminder that dwarves become adults at 12.

DF is never going to go multiplayer. There's just no way that's ever going to happen. Especially not adventurer mode. The closest to multiplayer that might ever be implemented . . . is definitely not going to happen.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility. After all, if World of Warcraft can handle the entire population of Denmark, it seems more than reasonable to say that Dwarf Fortress might someday be able to host a LAN party. Granted, it would take a very fundamental overhaul--but then so would multi-threading, and people don't stop asking for that. But even so, the point is largely irrelevant, because from the eyes of your Adventurer persona, raping an NPC is the precise moral equivalent to raping another PC (with a real, live human playing at the other end), and therefore should be treated exactly the same. The media are okay with PvP games . . . but what would they make of PrP? I'm damn sure Toady never wants to personally find out.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2016, 11:20:44 pm »

multiplayer would be a far more comprehensive overhaul than multithreading

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2016, 12:22:40 am »

Obligatory reminder that dwarves become adults at 12.
12? Most animal men become adults at 1, or from the moment they hatch.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility. After all, if World of Warcraft can handle the entire population of Denmark, it seems more than reasonable to say that Dwarf Fortress might someday be able to host a LAN party.
That's not even close to a proper comparison. Minecraft would've at least been in the ballpark, but it's still a real-time game.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:27:48 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]