Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Assassin-y theives  (Read 3355 times)

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assassin-y theives
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 03:42:49 pm »

Well, I would kind of imagine that any infiltration-type enemy would eventually be able to bypass locked doors in one way or another, and walling yourself in has always been a bit too easy for my tastes.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 07:43:14 am »

The idea of using goblin-raised dwarves as saboteurs is brilliant! A goblin has no chance of sneaking into a busy fortress, but a dwarf immigrant with secret loyalties would be perfect! Seeking out spies would also give fortress guard more to do, and they would create more internal threats to the fortress.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 01:18:11 am »

Oooh, new noble: Grand Inquisitor.  Sort of like a sheriff/CotG and Hammerer rolled into one, but his job is to find, expose, and eliminate spies.  Of course, if his levels in the appropriate skills aren't high enough, he'll be prone to mistakes, and even a very skilled Grand Inquisitor might still make "mistakes" along preference/anti-preference, grudge,  and religious lines.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 07:33:10 am »

Oooh, new noble: Grand Inquisitor.  Sort of like a sheriff/CotG and Hammerer rolled into one, but his job is to find, expose, and eliminate spies.  Of course, if his levels in the appropriate skills aren't high enough, he'll be prone to mistakes, and even a very skilled Grand Inquisitor might still make "mistakes" along preference/anti-preference, grudge,  and religious lines.

They should be able to make open events of executing "traitors". Dwarves would gather around and watch; maybe get a happy (or sad, depending on their personality or relationship with the accused) mood from seeing them die. Maybe add some sort of border guard to check on immigrants and see what their intentions are. The higher the guard's Judge of Intent skill, the faster and better they'll be able to screen immigrants. The higher the spy immigrants skill in lying (don't know what it's called), the more chance that they'll get in. The Overseer himself could look at his relationships and see how social he is; as brainwashed dwarves wouldn't know how to act normally and make friends that easily.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 02:38:49 pm »

Well, I would kind of imagine that any infiltration-type enemy would eventually be able to bypass locked doors in one way or another, and walling yourself in has always been a bit too easy for my tastes.

I think thieves can already pass through locked doors and trap tiles, but wardogs and guards fix that.

The main gate best be a drawbridge too though.

Grand Inquisitor doesn't sound dwarfy at all and secondly, inquisition doesn't have anything to do with spies.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:40:34 pm by Helari »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »

MI9? Ah. Cheap, but effective. Honestly though, I'd love to send out my own infiltration units, complete with specially designed weaponry. It would need long-term sieges to get their shit together a bit though, forming camps and the like. What we need to consider is what Dwarfy assassins would look like. What would their name be? Hmm...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:20:59 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 01:06:02 am »

Grand Inquisitor doesn't sound dwarfy at all and secondly, inquisition doesn't have anything to do with spies.

Are you kidding me?  What greater heresy can there be than conspiring against the fortress?  Unless... you're one of them, aren't you?

You're right though, Grand Inquisitor doesn't sound dwarfy at all.  It's too short and concise.  Everything else dwarfs do seems to be large and elaborate for no clearly defined reason, the titles should follow suit.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 10:28:14 am »

one thing that could make the grand inquisitor more dwarfy is to give the player no direct control over said dwarfs actions. so if you had a grand inquisitor they would go around interrogating and executing dwarfs in a seemingly random pattern based on their hunches and biases.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 05:14:46 am »

I like the idea, but most player's forts are so airtight, with so many armed dorfs and dogs and dragon flamethrower bunkers I think any assassin would be as hopelessly doomed as the goblin master thieves are.

With climbing, that could be something to be exploited for a while too.

What really seems plausible are dwarves from the goblin civ infiltrating the place. They could act like human diplomats do and render your traps useless, maybe pull random levers like gremlins, plenty of possibilities for sabotage. It would make witnesses and the justice system useful like it is for catching vampires.

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 08:44:38 pm »

I definately like the idea of goblin and kobold assassins, but without a way to reliably train up Observer, you'd have no way to defend against them. I suppose you could use animals to detect stuff, but in my own experience I still fail to detect a lot of stuff with that method.

Needs more observer density.  Multiple creatures per tile, so the sneak has to crawl through a big pile of critters unnoticed.  Maybe try to combine it with dwarven child care.  Wind up with new adults who already have a full on last name and title from counter-assassinations.

Know it's old, but if I figure out how, can I sig this?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 08:50:42 pm »

you necroed to ask permission to sig...
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:11 pm »

Thought it was only necro if it was over a month.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 02:10:37 pm »

it's necro if you contribute nothing useful to the conversation.  you don't need to ask permission to sig.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 03:51:05 pm »

Then why do so many people do it, or am I getting confused with other forums?
Pages: 1 [2]