Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evolving civilizations  (Read 760 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Evolving civilizations
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:03:00 am »

Current civilizations are too square. With the races acting always the same. Building the same type of settlements and so on. Goblins burn, Kobolds annoy, Humans brag, Elves condescend, and Dwarves free demons from their pits. You can mod them but this takes time and adds nothing surprising.

Why not let civs evolve over time along with world gen. Let biomes, wars and relationships with other civs shape them. What if in a world kobolds become the pinnacle of civilization while dwarves become the scourge of the land. Or that two human civs evolve completely opposite from each other with one becoming the USA to the other's USSR.

Of course races should have tendencies. Goblins and Kobold will tend to be the evil races and elves would prefer nature to anything else. But dire world gen circumstances can change that. Right now we see elven slaves become the rulers of goblin civs. They should go all the way and inherit the civ and maybe turn it into a nature loving cult that snatches babies from time to time.

What I mean with this is that scripted parameters for races shouldn't stay fixed for the rest of the world gen. Some of them should be able to change over time.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolving civilizations
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

Boy, will you be happy with the forthcoming release.
To quote from the dev. blog
"Right now, dwarves and goblins would sometimes be chatty because dwarves don't care about torture and they often worship fire, which the goblin's demon is aligned with."
He's worked out a system that each entity has its own ethics (re: treatment of prisoners mostly) and so they can fight or ally based on that, or how compatible their religions are (finally having a god of thievery and farming will effect the game!) and a megabeast can be elevated to a diety if it picks on a civilization enough and you can have snatched Baby's leading armies against their original race or a conquering civilization ruling over a potentially rebellious conquered populace.
And Kobold civ.s doesn't get eradicated instantly! They can run and hide rather than fight and lose! This means they can outlive the elves, goblins and dwarves

All of this coming soon. Soonish. In a time. As soon as it's not liable to flamboyantly crash your computer.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Skizelo ]

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:16:00 am »

Say it with me now: Yesssss

Totally a double post. I think it was a fairly nice save.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Skizelo ]

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:11:00 am »

I think he meant more personality-wise than geography.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:57:00 am »

quote:
one becoming the USA to the other's USSR.

Then you'll need a spherical world to place them on different hemispheres and also  leader personalities to make someone like Lincoln/Peter I to make drastic changes.

I'd like to see some "evolving" of creatures during millenniums, but I'm sure it's a dream-like proposal for a post-genetic-arc time.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>I think he meant more personality-wise than geography.</STRONG>

Yeah. More like that. For example, ff you create terrifying wasteland/desert worlds with the next version, elves would rarely survive in it, much less prosper, during world-gen. But if their civilization evolves, they might be able to adapt and become an expanding civ of rugged savages who make their weapons out of the bones of the creatures they vanquish. They maybe would have a megabeast for deity, or maybe they would still adore a nature sphere. But one related to the wastelands.

Also, evolving civs would also change how they make their settlements. Maybe humans in the wastelands start living in caves like the kobolds while at the same time adding buildings to them. Twisted dwarves would start building dark towers near their mountain homes or abandon their mountain homes altogether.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Don't forget that the weapons could change too. If (once?) weapons are expanded upon further, you could make it so that certain civs use only certain weapons (e.g. the human civ 'Rottedsnakes' uses mostly longswords and shields, while the human civ 'Doorcastles' uses mainly pikes).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

There's already partly implemented via item usage frequency => there can be civs which use/don't use specific items. However if there were a special random function which adjusts random values for item frequency for every civ of every entity it could work better.

However I'd like to see the regional clothing values, i.e.:
- warm thick clothes for cold biomes,
- usual clothes for temperate biomes,
- lack of clothes (light tunics, loincloths) for hot biomes,
- thick clothes with max. coverage (i.e. caps + face veils and turbans) for scorching biomes.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:31:05 pm »

There's already partly implemented via item usage frequency => there can be civs which use/don't use specific items. However if there were a special random function which adjusts random values for item frequency for every civ of every entity it could work better.<P>However I'd like to see the regional clothing values, i.e.:
- warm thick clothes for cold biomes,
- usual clothes for temperate biomes,
- lack of clothes (light tunics, loincloths) for hot biomes,
- thick clothes with max. coverage (i.e. caps + face veils and turbans) for scorching biomes.

^^^
This!

Sorry for the semi-necro

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:18:46 pm »

Dude, it's been five days. Not even half a necro.

Also, that is an excellent idea (the semirandom-civs thing), though probably outside the scope of the army arc, and perhaps even out of pre-V1's scope.