Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Arrow lodged in throat.  (Read 7718 times)

Re: Arrow lodged in throat.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 07:45:52 pm »

"Corroded artery" is an awesome spelling.

There's more than one goalie in hockey who's gotten their jugular sliced and lived to play another day.
I didn't know how to spell it and spell check said corroded... It sounded right to me... xD
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 07:53:16 pm »

And I got a good chuckle after an annoying day's work, so I thank you.

Now it's dinnertime, and I have to corrode my arteries.  Which makes me think: another really annoying way to die from an arrow in the throat would be to have your oesophagus get infected.

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 07:49:36 am »

So arrow wounds will not stop bleeding in the current edition?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 03:08:18 pm »

They will, but throat wounds won't. Note to self; wear chainmail and kevlar scarf for the rest of my life.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 05:48:06 pm »

They will, but throat wounds won't. Note to self; wear chainmail and kevlar scarf for the rest of my life.

Wrong, if it gets stuck in ANYWHERE you will never stop bleeding.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »

Note to Self: Were admantine body glove

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 12:29:47 pm »

grab the arrow and pull it out

Quoted for emphasis. If you're badass enough, you'll survive.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 12:50:38 pm »

This is a gamble.
On the one hand, you might actually stop bleeding.
On the other, you might bleed out in seconds.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 01:13:11 pm »

I've always wondered, is there ANY way, even in reality and with modern medicine, to save someone who's had their throat slashed?

It's tough, but very possible. If you're just suffering from a gaping hole in your throat, you'll be fine with some bandages and pressure, then stitches and surgery. But if you've had your carotid artery slashed open, you're beyond fucked. There is, however, a bone around your wind pipe that, if broken, will lead to suffocation unless you get an emergency tracheotomy.

One can probably survive a jugular slice until they arrive at the hospital since it is a vein, less pressure and such. However a slice in the carothid unless done in a hospital probably is lethal (and even in a hospital).
Unless yo uwere in surgery and the surgeon had the equipment to immediately suspend the hemorraghe (kelly tweezers I think) from a sliced charotid I think it would be quickly lethal.
I know in some surgeries they have to remove tumors in the cartohid body, and it probably involves sllicing and restiching the caorthid at some point, however it is unilateral.

Bilateral simultaneous slicing of the carothid IS lethal...  :P

However if you want a more silent and nevertheless lethal way of dying, a oespohagus tumor eroding into the aorta probably is one of the freakyest ways of dying.

I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 03:05:15 pm »

This is a gamble.

Bleeding out means he's not badass enough and deserved to die.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »

This is a gamble.

ARMOK LOOKS DOWN ON YOUR GIRLISH BLEEDING.
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 03:15:42 am »

Murdering hordes of elven scum, but there's an arrow stuck in my throat. It's not life threatening, but it's causing bleeding, which is making it impossible to fast travel. Can I get some help?

Urist McAdventurer cancels Bleed out; slaughtering elves.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 01:09:22 am »

This is a gamble.

ARMOK LOOKS DOWN ON YOUR GIRLISH BLEEDING.
You'd think he of all people would enjoy it, but no. Even the god of blood has a low opinion of you bleeding to death this way.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 11:26:53 pm »

Perhaps of little or no significance now but I would say that having any blood flow cut off to your brain is essentially lethal. In the Marine Corps one of the things I was taught was how to kill people (no shit?). They teach "blood chokes" and other nifty moves...if you choke someone properly they can go unconscious within about 3-6 seconds of no blood to the brain and can die in about 8-14 seconds because the body will react in a way that pretty much convinces itself its dead...and yeah....don't ask me...sound bass ackwards but whatever.

On a side note if you punch someone hard enough in the correct artery they can pass out (artery will collapse for a short time) and if hard enough can collapse the artery and kill them....not so easy or common but still possible...

Below is an example of said act
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sTYz91y0mg

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 01:13:58 am »

Well, injury to the carotid artery is survivable provided immediate (i.e., within seconds) efforts are made to control the bleeding. Ask former professional hockey player Clint Malarchuk, who survived just such an injury when another player's skate slashed open his internal carotid artery during a game. His team's trainer, a former army medic, pinched off the wound and bought him enough time for doctors to come and suture it. I'd say it's within the dwarves' level of medical capability to manage that kind of injury, at least in the short term, provided they reach the wounded in time to treat him and then do so right there in the field, as opposed to dropping him off in a hospital first.

They teach "blood chokes" and other nifty moves...if you choke someone properly they can go unconscious within about 3-6 seconds of no blood to the brain and can die in about 8-14 seconds

The first part is 100% true. Once you cut off the brain's access to oxygenated blood, it doesn't take long at all for the person to pass out, as opposed to an air choke, which can take quite a bit longer to work and is also potentially more deadly even when properly applied.

The second part, though, is not necessarily true, although obstructing blood flow to the brain for longer than a few seconds at a time can cause brain damage; the longer the duration, the more damage that is done.

I've heard about dying from holding the choke for about twenty seconds before, but never thought about it much. I looked it up, and I think it's called "carotid sinus reflex death". It's actually not universally accepted as a mechanism of death. Supposedly, strangling the artery can lead to a particular nerve being stimulated that leads to cardiac arrest.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:58:53 pm by TaintedMustard »
Pages: 1 [2]