Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So this is probably going to end poorly.  (Read 8342 times)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
So this is probably going to end poorly.
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:51:38 am »

So, it's year 2 and my expedition leader was just taken by a fey mood.  Great!  Look through the list and the item (mason's workshop) needs 6 things.  I have all of these!  Hopefully it's a statue I can put in the dining hall with the artifact door and table I have on it already.  Wait, what's this?  He's not building it.  Must want a specific ingredient.  I check his likes aaand... nothing I have any access to whatsoever.  So, he's probably going to go crazy. 

While not ordinarily a problem, he's a Legendary +3 miner. And my fort has no military because I haven't found anything better than copper yet and was waiting to get some gobbo gear from my trap hallway when they show.  Hopefully he turns suicidal and doesn't kill my entire fortress of 60 dwarves off with his pick, because it wouldn't be the first time!

=D
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So this is probably going to end poorly.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:57:16 am »

He must want more than one of those things.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:01:50 am »

Wants rough gems (all kinds), shiny metal bars (got electrum, gold, silver, platinum and billon), cloth (Only pigtail fiber), wood (just traded with the fairies for pretty much every kind there is), and stone (...) 

He likes cave spider silk, so I'm imagining that's what I'm missing in the cloth department.  No way of getting any other kinds as it stands.
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:36 am »

If they do request specifics it's only for metal bars. If you already have that then there's something else in play, a door or a wall blocking him off perhaps.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:28:26 am »

Nah, big wide open room with all my workshops and piles in one place.  Meh, he just got demoted from expedition leader anyway because the mayor shift happened.  Just surrounding him with war dogs and seeing what happens.  For science. 

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:34 am »

Well that went better than expected.  He wet nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.  Was expecting him to ram his pick through half my population.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:09:53 am »

..Why did you trade with the hippies?
They're completely defenseless, a normal squad without any weaponry whatsoever could destroy them.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:43 pm »

He didn't want plant cloth. Probably wanted silk or yarn cloth. They differentiate among these but don't tell you.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:49:26 pm »

I read somewhere (Probably in the wiki) that if you press t and hover over the workshop and inspect the items currently there, then press q and hover over the shop, the first item that gets listed after the items already at the shop is what’s holding up the show.

But as someone already said, he probably wants a specific type of item like silk cloth instead of fiber cloth, but I know of no way to figure that out if it isn’t displayed when you press q and hover over the shop.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »

They're completely defenseless, a normal squad without any weaponry whatsoever could destroy them.
Ethics aside, killing a caravan means you have to deal with all the stuff they brought which you didn't want.

Cave spider webs show up in the stocks screen, so if you haven't found the caverns and would like to do so quickly you can zoom to individual webs if your bookkeeping is accurate enough.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 02:56:24 pm »

Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Well, that's got signature potential...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 03:40:25 pm »

Couple of my dwarves' fate has been handed to the lack of silk cloth too. There was one time I really went out of my way to get it, then a FB raped us. Now I just pray they don't ask for silk cloth.