Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode : Battle sites  (Read 1145 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode : Battle sites
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:20:53 am »

First suggestion in a while. I haven't seen any like it while using the forum search, but I apologize if it has already been suggested.

The core idea is to add hidden sites where a battle has occured in the past. Something like "You have stumbled upon [an ancient/a somewhat old/a recent] battleground", in the fashion we have for lairs now.
The older the batle, the harder to find it. It would also track ambushes, first the ones involving the player but also the other ones once bandits can attack caravans on their own.
The goal would be, for example, to find your old dead aventurer, take his sword and loot, or retrieve any possible survivor from his party.

It would also be useful for quests such as "my son went to fight for [adventurer], but it has been 3 weeks since he was last seen. Can you find him and tell me of his fate ?", or more important ones like "this caravan was carrying an important dwarven steel battle axe, but never made its way to its destination. Could you find it ?"

As an addition, I suggest loot stay the HELL attached to the corpse that used to wear them (because I find it a huge mood killer and really not handy), and that when, as an adventurer, you leave an ocurring battle (either fleeing or dying), the appropriate number of rounds is automatically simulated the moment you come back, depending on how long it's been since you left. Currently, you can flee, heal your broken arm, and come back 2 weeks later only to find the battle still raging on.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode : Battle sites
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:32:21 am »

i support this suggestion, looting the dead would be a good, and historically viable, way to aquire armour on the cheap
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:03:47 pm »

i support this suggestion, looting the dead would be a good, and historically viable, way to aquire armour on the cheap
the only flaw is that most of the time some one has looted it befor you.
but this only works to clean area.

think just what some towns would look like after world gen if this was not the case, mounds of bones ad weapons covering the area.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »

Now that entity pops are tracked, it is possible to calculate how often a site would have been raided based on how many people lived close to it, how close they lived and for how long.
Basically, more people living closer to a site for a longer time means any trace of the battle will disappear quickly. So if goblins raid a town, and there are enough survivors, there will be hardly any trace of the battle one month later. Now, if the town if burnt down and the goblins don't stay, and it was an isolated hamlet, you'd come a year later only to see partial skeletons, in the position they died.

Also, looting the dead would be important for the army arc. When you win a battle, you take prisoners and use their equipment for your soldiers.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »

The core idea is to add hidden sites where a battle has occured in the past. Something like "You have stumbled upon [an ancient/a somewhat old/a recent] battleground", in the fashion we have for lairs now.
The older the batle, the harder to find it. It would also track ambushes, first the ones involving the player but also the other ones once bandits can attack caravans on their own.
The goal would be, for example, to find your old dead aventurer, take his sword and loot, or retrieve any possible survivor from his party.

Seems likely to me that any survivors would be well and truly gone by the time you returned with a new guy. In the majority of cases (barring animal attacks leaving no survivors), any good equipment you had should be carted off by whatever beat you.

It would also be useful for quests such as "my son went to fight for [adventurer], but it has been 3 weeks since he was last seen. Can you find him and tell me of his fate ?", or more important ones like "this caravan was carrying an important dwarven steel battle axe, but never made its way to its destination. Could you find it ?"

This is a pretty amusing suggestion. Though obviously in the latter case you'd want the item limited to something very expensive/meaningful/an artifact.

As an addition, I suggest loot stay the HELL attached to the corpse that used to wear them (because I find it a huge mood killer and really not handy), and that when, as an adventurer, you leave an ocurring battle (either fleeing or dying), the appropriate number of rounds is automatically simulated the moment you come back, depending on how long it's been since you left. Currently, you can flee, heal your broken arm, and come back 2 weeks later only to find the battle still raging on.

I completely agree with keeping loot attached to corpses. Apart from the fact that it makes no sense for all your clothes to drop off once you're dead, it's also bad in the long run.
I paint for you a picture. A recent battleground of half-rotten corpses, still clad in their rusting armor. Your transgression on their grave disturbs them, and they begin to rise. Zombie soldiers still dressed for battle.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »

Zombie soldiers still dressed for battle.

Someone mod this in. This sounds awesome in both modes. Imagine, your fort having recently been attacked by goblins when your traps at the entrance (let's say cage traps) weren't ready yet. You send out your fully armed military that (somehow) lose. A month or two later, they rise from the dead.

Spoiler: Real Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:17 pm »

The older the battle, the harder to find it. It would also track ambushes, first the ones involving the player but also the other ones once bandits can attack caravans on their own.

Seems likely to me that any survivors would be well and truly gone by the time you returned with a new guy. In the majority of cases (barring animal attacks leaving no survivors), any good equipment you had should be carted off by whatever beat you.

Except if they killed each other or weren't interested in loot. Like a cougar, boogeymen, etc. As for survivors, it has been talked about tracking skills that will go in at some point, and the battleground would be a fairly good place to start looking for their track.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:01:20 am »

Finding battle sites full of loot? naaah.

Finding stone slabs that relate to and honor ye ol' battle? yes
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:32:30 am »

Full of loot only  if the battle was recent.
Now, if it occurred in a remote area, nobody would take care of the corpses. Considering how the spirits of the dead are now angered by not being taken care of in Fortress Mode, it would be only logical to see the ghosts of the warriors hauting the area, or their corpses raise back at night.

Now what would be REALLY awesome : if their corpses rose back at night to continue the battle. Each night, forever. Or at least until they are buried / cremated / whatever they want.