Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting for a conspiracy game  (Read 3440 times)

Professor Zephyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting for a conspiracy game
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:24:20 pm »

Hello gentlemen, I am looking for a game in which you play as a global conspiracy. I've played a few too many games in which you are the one guy who tries to expose some government/cult/neighborhood-watch secret. Now I'm itching to play as a shadowy cabal, starting small and growing to encompass the world.

The closest I've gotten is Syndicate and Liberal Crime Squad but I want something else, something new. I'd like a Cold War setting, but I am not that picky. Hope you guys know of some games that will satisfy.

Suggested video games
-Floor 13
-Evil Genius
-Fate of the World
-Mafia
-Covert Action
-Singularity: Endgame
-Republic: The Revolution
-The Secret World

Suggested non-video games
-Illuminati
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:56:53 pm by Professor Zephyr »
I am become Jon, formatter of hard drives.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for a conspiracy game
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:35:16 pm »

Floor 13 is the best I can think of right now.  You play as the Prime Minister of UK's controller of public opinion (control through kidnapping, torture, and infiltration).  You can also join another faction.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:42:51 pm »

Floor 13 is cool, but very very dated.

Maybe Evil Genius would scratch the itch?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Watchman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:45:44 pm »

Well. There's Evil Genius but that's more of a parody of spy movies than what i think you're looking for. (Also Covert Action while we're at it) Weird but i can't remember any similar games.

Professor Zephyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »

I have Evil Genius, its a good game, but not what I am looking for. Add that to the "close but not quite" pile. Floor 13 sounds interesting, will give it a try, but from what I read the gameplay mechanics may hold it back for me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »

Fate of the World could fit, depending on your playstyle :p
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 05:33:28 pm »

The only thing I could think of when I was going to post earlier was Evil Genius. Is there such a derth of conspiracy games out there?

You could also give Mafia a whirl, although that's less about conspiracy than scheming. (And it's also a forum game for the most part.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »

Crusader Kings 2 <3

Floor 13 is awesome, but kind of dated.  If you can get into it as an interactive novel or text adventure, it's a lot of fun.
Sid Meier's Covert Action is also dated but a lot more playable.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:37:02 am »

Illuminati, but it's not a computer game.  Singularity: Endgame is soooort of relevant, you play an AI that is trying to hide from the world until you build up resources and abilities, so although it's a conspiracy of 1 everybody else is looking for you....

Oh and there's Republic: The Revolution, iirc you can soooort of play it all shadowy and subverty.  Game with great concept, MANY flaws :(

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:04:43 am »

Try Republic: The Revolution.

You play as someone who's trying to stir up rebellion against the status quo government.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 01:44:17 pm »

Oh and there's Republic: The Revolution, iirc you can soooort of play it all shadowy and subverty.  Game with great concept, MANY flaws :(

Massive understatement.  After about two hours, you'll realize the card-based mini-game is the *only* gameplay, and that the rest is all an irrelevant veneer.

For those who missed it back in the day, it was a huge disappointment, because it was such an interesting and ignored settting: post-Soviet politics.  The plot was how an average joe came to overthrow a totalitarian dictator.  You either developed your rise to power as a capitalist oligarch, democracy advocate, or right-wing thug.  It was set in this gorgeous (for the time) 3-D realtime cityscape, with gorgeous (for the time) rendered cutscenes of you actions (speechs, assassinations, bribery, etc.)  The problem was, that the cityscape was actually a fairly static gameboard where you picked missions, that typically centered around a custom card game.  Sometimes you won new cards for your deck, and sometimes it played a really neat cutscene.  Unfortunately, that was pretty much it.

Kinda ranks up there with LA Noire in games that epically failed in terms of adding gameplay over story-telling and environment.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 01:55:02 pm »

Well, The Secret World is being released this year, although it'll probably be more of a standard MMO with a global conspiracy setting

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108103.0

Professor Zephyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »

Hmmm, this is quite an eclectic collection of games here. I wonder if there are any roguelikes with a conspiracy setting or gameplay mechanics? Anyone know?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:02 am »

Dunno about any roguelikes, I think LCS is the closest I've ever seen.

Central Intelligence is a game where you're a CIA agent helping rebels overthrow a Dictatorship.

I'm not certain how much this next entry counts, but in Mount & Blade: Warband, you have to get Right to Rule in order to convince the populous to follow you once you try to establish your own kingdom.  The game starts with six established kingdoms, and if you take someone's castle or town then you start up your own competing kingdom.

Oh, and most Dominions 3 multiplayer games tend to have quite a few conspiracies.  Two smaller players agree to attack a larger player on the same turn from opposite directions, that sort of thing.