Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Besiege - An Asymmetrical Wargame  (Read 618 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Besiege - An Asymmetrical Wargame
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:05:43 pm »

Besiege

The Horde have descended once again from the wasteland, seeking loot and pillage in the Kingdom. This has happened many times, but this will be different. The Kingdom has built a mighty castle in the valley, preventing the Horde from accessing the rich lands at the kingdom's heart. The horde must take the castle first, of forever be harassed by warbands striking from behind its walls.

The horde have the numbers and the will. The Castle will be taken eventually. But there is hope for its beleaguered garrison. In seven days time, the mighty army of the Kingdom will arrive to break the siege. For this campaign to be a success, the horde must storm the Castle before they arrive.

You must choose a side.

Do you stand with the Kingdom, out-numbered and surrounded, desperately thwarting each assault on the walls in the hope of holding out until rescue arrives?

Or do you march with the Horde, masters of war, willing and able to throw away thousands of lives to breach the walls of the fortress before you?

This is an Arms Race-ish style game. Instead of designing and deploying weapons, you are instead working together to out-manuever and defeat the other team in a battle of strategy. Deceipt, misdirection and cunning will see you to victory.

I have most of the rules written up, and so I'm now looking for interested people. Please note that as this is an asymmetrical game, it is probably hilariously unbalanced at the moment. Hopefully after a couple of runs I'll be able to tweak it to make it an even match.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Besiege - An Asymmetrical Wargame
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:24:56 pm »

On a scale of one to ten: Siegebreak?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:37:43 am »

Surprisingly similar in basic concept. I'd say a 6.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 02:47:19 am »

Posting to possibly participate.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:08:16 pm »

Cool. Maybe I can entice some more people with a Rules DumpTM!

Each turn is at most four hours long. This four hour timespan is hereafter referred to as a Watch. Each Watch, the two sides will prepare for the next assaut. This will be done by maneuvering units and building siege equipment. At any point, the Attackers may order a number of units to assault the Walls. At this point the standard Watch System is interrupted to allow the Defenders to perform some last-minute reactions.

If at any point there is an Attacking unit within the castle that is not currently in combat with a Defending unit, the castle is breached and the Attackers have won. If the Defenders can hold the Attackers at bay for 7 days (42 watches, or 168 hours) the relief force will arrive and the Defenders will be victorious.

Spoiler: The Horde (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defenders (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)