Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Automated fortresses are possible  (Read 6554 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Automated fortresses are possible
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 01:08:04 pm »

Just paste the codes into the end of interface.txt, and then press F10 or F11 in game.  You have to restart dwarf fortress *or* go to the "key bindings" menu and hit l for "load".

Make sure you don't already have macros defined, there can only be one MACRO0, one MACRO1, and so on.  MACRO1 refers to MACRO2 by name, so change the references if you change the names. 

It might not work if you put in MACRO1 and MACRO2 without having any MACRO0.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 01:25:13 pm »

This is very interesting.

If you want to improve Dwarven happiness, I suggest you construct a misting machine (completely disregarding framerate, hehehe) and put at least one piece of artifact furniture in the dining room to boost it up to Legendary. Then, you'd probably be able to forget about booze completely without worrying.

I've noticed that you've been doing lots of pioneering with Dwarven Science. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I will from now on pay special attention to your threads.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »

I've had a lot of luck with this mist generator; doesn't seem to eat too many fps and it can work by cycling a single 2/7 tile of water (if you don't have access to flowing water):

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34407.0
At last, she is done.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »

Doesn't seeing a lot of death make a dwarf not care so much if his friends die?

Just thinking, you could set up some chained animals ten or so Z-levels above your meeting area and some bridges to drop the puppies/kittens/calves/foals/children from those chained animals to land near the meeting area... short term they'd get bad thoughts from seeing death, long term they'd get the 'doesn't care any more' trait.

This is simple enough. Use horses locked into a room with a floor made of downstairs. When the horses have foals, the foals will fall through the stairs and hit the ground automatically.
Now, the landing site, which will be in the meeting room, will be walled off with glass and hermeneutically sealed to prevent the miasma from escaping and dwarves from entering.
The reason why horses (or donkeys) should be used is that they don't have [MAXAGE:x] tags, meaning that they are effectively immortal.

Imagine, after several years your dwarves will be living in a meeting room with glass walls behind which are a mountain of bones and rotting foal corpses. Bonus points if it is also the dining room.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 09:41:36 pm »

Just paste the codes into the end of interface.txt, and then press F10 or F11 in game.  You have to restart dwarf fortress *or* go to the "key bindings" menu and hit l for "load".

Make sure you don't already have macros defined, there can only be one MACRO0, one MACRO1, and so on.  MACRO1 refers to MACRO2 by name, so change the references if you change the names. 

But I did this, and MACRO1 is running macro0 without running macro2.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 09:51:05 pm »

This is simple enough. Use horses locked into a room with a floor made of downstairs. When the horses have foals, the foals will fall through the stairs and hit the ground automatically.
Nope.  Tested this, it doesn't work, at least not in the latest version.  Animals born appear on the stairs, not falling through them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »

Build a large-ish area with a hatch hooked up to a slow repeater and a breeding chained pair of horses who can't reach it.. If a horse is standing on the hatch when it opens, PLOP! These would be the horses offspring.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 11:24:45 pm »

But I did this, and MACRO1 is running macro0 without running macro2.

Oh darn, I didn't make this clear, but macro 1 (F11) relies a bit on my fort layout, and hotkey 7.  See my map at http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7811-scholarglazed , though it doesn't show the hotkey location (it's the location of the still).   It selects the workshops based on their position relative to hotkey 7 to add jobs to them.  For you, it should still toggle labors for nearby dwarves (disabling stone-hauling, activating farming), but will otherwise act like F10.

Here, I'll upload that DF directory to my personal webspace:
http://www.tratan.net/df_28_181_40d16_win-Eternal-RC1.zip
Upload's going slow though, probably a few hours from now.

Hm, also, I did make a typo.  Had the [BIND:MACRO1] in both the end of part 1 and the beginning of part 2.  Corrected that in the original post.

Hope this helps!  Long live Macro-Kun!  (by the way, apparently Kun means cat.  Niiice.)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GL12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 04:12:45 am »

"but I guess that's the only thing they have to drink" Don't dorfs refuse to drink after awhile if they don't get more then one sort of booze?

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 06:18:00 am »

They can come to the point where they get a bad thaught for drinking the same booze all the time. I thinkt hey may also choose to drink water instead (can't rember could be wrong). But yeah they won't let themselves die of thirst that's a given.

On the auto-butchering, Butchering produces bones and skulls as well as fat and chunks. Unless you insert macros to deal with those as well, they'll pile up in your refuse stockpile, until that's full then they'll pile up in your butcher shop until its so cluttered efficiency is crippled. Fat and chunks will rot away but damn bones have to be made into something or traded away (trading won;t work unless your some magician of macros). You could somehow make em be dumped in a chasm or magma or something with a refuse stockpile for bones and skulls only with an area dump macro given to it periodically I guess. It'll need more work then obvious for an automated bucthering system works ina n automated fortress as weird as it sounds...

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 08:01:02 am »

Bones and chunks are easily disposed of by the general
  • rders, you just need a nice, deep pit with lots of room on the bottom to chuck it all into.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 10:08:12 am »

or a refuse pile that opens to the surface.  Bones and skulls will disappear eventually.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:50 am »

Correct Satarus, bones and skulls will disappear eventually, if and only if they are outdoors.  Unlike food rotting, it doesn't matter whether they're in a stockpile or not.  A simple macro can designate the bones stockpile area for dumping, allowing the bones to be quantum stockpiled.  Whether the garbage dump is outdoors to destroy the bones, or indoors to form an incredible pile of bones over time, the problem is solved.

About booze: I'm pretty sure they don't *technically* get a bad thought from going without booze.  They miss out on "drank a fine/excellent drink recently", and they start working slowly (how slow?  unsure) and they'll complain if the water isn't well water, or if it's contaminated.  I think they also wait until they're thirsty to drink.  So, making them drink water will hurt their happiness anyway.  Mainly trusting the wiki on this one, not personal experience, it's hard to tell what exactly affects a dwarf's happiness.
She/they

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 11:34:52 am »

In my current fortress I have a mechanism to automatically incinerate refuse.  A single-tile refuse stockpile, with a complex system of pressure plates, hatches and doors around it.  Dwarfs walking into the mechanism to drop off chunks and remains step on a pressure plate which closes off the path in and opens a separate path out.  After dropping off the refuse and taking the path out they step on a series of pressure plates which pump magma onto the refuse pile, let it sit long enough to ignite the refuse, and then pump the magma away and reset the mechanism.  I use this for disposing of chunks and remains.  In a fully automated fortress you could use it to also destroy bones and fat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3]