Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rather odd.  (Read 1113 times)

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
Rather odd.
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:02:42 pm »

Long story short my mayor mandated the construction of Electrum whatsits and me being in a good mood decided to make a statue for him. Upon opening the manager and making a slight spelling error (an R instead of a T.) I get this.

Funny to be sure, thing is I have no idea what Toady is talking about.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rather odd.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »

I dont get it as electrum IS a metal in DF and the SR shouldnt make a difference.

If anyone get this please explain it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:16:47 pm by LordShotGun »
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:09 pm »

I don't recall exactly but I think this was an 'easter egg' toady put in because he initially didn't realize electrum was a real metal (as opposed to something fantasy based like adamantine)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:35:17 pm »

Try "electu". It worked for that in the last version.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »

But what does this easter egg even mean?!?
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:05:52 pm »

No idea, as far as I know electrum is an alloy of gold and silver and the Egyptians used it as ammo for slingshots.
Other than that I have no idea what Toadys on about.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:07:16 pm »

No idea, as far as I know electrum is an alloy of gold and silver and the Egyptians used it as ammo for slingshots.
Other than that I have no idea what Toadys on about.

they also used it as the top of thier pyramids
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »

If he wasn't so busy I'd PM Toady about this weirdness.
Maybe He's forgot himself  :D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:07:20 pm »

In early releases of DF, Toady wasn't aware electrum was a real alloy so he put a few strings in the manager screens that would bring up that message. Later, he discovered electrum WAS a real alloy, so he made it so that people could create electrum bars and crafts without triggering the easter egg.

It can still show up, though, generally when someone mistypes an electrum order, leading to topics like this so someone can explain the easter egg to a new generation of players.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »

In early releases of DF, Toady wasn't aware electrum was a real alloy so he put a few strings in the manager screens that would bring up that message. Later, he discovered electrum WAS a real alloy, so he made it so that people could create electrum bars and crafts without triggering the easter egg.

It can still show up, though, generally when someone mistypes an electrum order, leading to topics like this so someone can explain the easter egg to a new generation of players.

It also continues to show up in the later 2D versions until the Dungeon Master immigrates.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:03:23 pm »

That's somewhat helpful.
However, I'm still somewhat curious about the "Go play DND" comment.
What's this "favourite metal" stuff all about?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »

I think I get it. Remember how Electrum is sometimes a favorite metal of your Dungeon Master? Theres your DnD reference right there as the person setting the rules and doing the die rolls is called the DM.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:12:43 pm »

However, I'm still somewhat curious about the "Go play DND" comment.
as in 'dungeons and dragons'.

What's this "favourite metal" stuff all about?

not sure what you mean. basically toady put in an easter egg (a joke) if you searched for this 'fictional' metal. he later finds out it actually exists and puts it into the game, but leaves the easter egg.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:16:51 pm »

I dont think you're giving the man enough credit.  I'm sure that Tarn was well aware of what electrum is, but its likely that he didnt originally intend for it to be in the game as anything besides a joke.

and if you dont get the joke, then you probably were not playing dungeons and dragons in the 80s (or prior).  the idea (now a long standing fantasy trope) that different valuations of currency needed to be made from different elements / aloys (instead of different sizes of coin) is perposterous, and the fact that they had to dig up electrum as a mid-way value between gold and silver coins (when historically native electrum was more valueable than either) is pattently absurd.

hence why its a funny easter egg.  but i guess only so if you were in the right demographic for Tom Hanks appearance in Mazes and Monsters to put a crimp on your social life.

edit:  additionally, the "Dungeon Master" was a continuation of this same joke.  I believe he was hard coded to like electrum, and he was the only noble with labors enabled so that he would work at a smelter or forge or whatever to make electrum coins.  I dont know how it is now, but back in 2D I had to give the little bastard his own magma forge so he didnt keep crowding out my actual metalsmiths.  The bastard got up to legendary like a lightning bolt, and he'd never get off that stupid forge.

see:  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Dungeon_Master their list of likes mirrors the currencies from original D&D.  and as for the cloaks, well you probably dont need to be told that Tycho Brae's choice of formal wear for dungeon mastering isnt exactly an original concoction but rather a parody of a type.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:02:17 pm by puke »