Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Mythbusters: Shit happens - Confirmed  (Read 7636 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mythbusters: Shit happens - Confirmed
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

Those myths aren't gonna bust themselves you know!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 10:12:54 pm »

That is, until there's a myth about a self solving myth...
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2011, 01:51:23 am »

That is, until there's a myth about a self solving myth...

How about a self busting myth?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2011, 02:35:33 am »

IF anything, the results to justify the explosions (Because it didn't work so it gets busted but they really want to see a car get cut in hald so whee rcket sled), but they do it either way, so not really.
I have never seen them take it beyond the scale of the myth and then confirm it.
Never said they did, did I? I said that they would wnt to see what would hapen if they did that. FOR SCIENCE.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2011, 08:07:02 pm »

To be honest, I really am surprised at the number of scientific experiments that involve blowing something up or otherwise destroying said something in a violent manner; Mythbusters or no Mythbusters.

Little known fact: Science is awesome.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2011, 08:36:09 pm »

Pretty sure a hefty dose of science involves breaking something so you can figure out how it works.

And I mean, cmon, CERN. If those were trucks they were firing around at the speed of light and colliding, people would pay money to see that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »

Pretty sure a hefty dose of science involves breaking something so you can figure out how it works.

And I mean, cmon, CERN. If those were trucks they were firing around at the speed of light and colliding, people would pay money to see that.

Yeah, I did a short presentation on the LHC the other day. IIRC they just make particles go really fast and smash them into each other so they can inflict really high amounts of energy on them and see how they react. Prettty awesome if you ask me.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2011, 09:43:17 pm »

Yeah, I did a short presentation on the LHC the other day. IIRC they just make particles go really fast and smash them into each other so they can inflict really high amounts of energy on them and see how they react. Prettty awesome if you ask me.

One of my favorite analogy for CERN goes like so:

So, CERN throws a piano down a stairwell. And then listens to the noises it makes as it breaks apart, to figure out how the piano works. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2011, 10:00:39 pm »

Excuse me, but... CERN?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:24 pm »

So, CERN throws a piano down a stairwell. And then listens to the noises it makes as it breaks apart, to figure out how the piano works.

It might be more accurate to say, CERN throws a piano down the stairs, and listens for a singular noise that is only created when a piano is destroyed, so they can better understand how all piano sounds work.

Excuse me, but... CERN?

Thread
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2011, 07:15:51 pm »

You know, stating it like that makes a GC-MS sound like a really violent apparatus:
First we flash the solution and inject it into a column, where the compounds are separated. Then we violently tear the compounds apart using a searing beam of high-energy electrons and look at the mass of the remainders to figure out what the compound was.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »

Somebody needs to be lectured on range design.  A cannonball never should have been shot as a range designed for conventional firearms unless the area beyond it was uninhabited.

There's actually quite a bit that goes into range engineering to prevent ricochets and rounds "escaping".  Catching cannonballs with something designed to catch .223 and 9mm is just asking for trouble.

At the shooting club I go to, we have separate ranges for different types of firearms.  A rimfire range for your .22s and such, a pistol range, a "high power range" (for centerfire rifles) and a black powder range.  All of them are designed differently to reflect the different properties of the rounds to be fired.  Even with all that, we have miles of state forest beyond the range so the odds of anyone or anything getting hit are astronomical.

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:26 am »

From what I've heard, the bomb disposal range was there about 20 years before the housing came along, and the two are separated by a hill. Apparently what happened was that they fired the cannon at a row of water containers in front of a solid wall, but the cannon either missed or went through them all. Then it hit the hill, bounced, and flew/rolled towards the houses.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:31 pm »

Yay for the news at the UK being 6 days late about this :D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »

From what I've heard, the bomb disposal range was there about 20 years before the housing came along, and the two are separated by a hill. Apparently what happened was that they fired the cannon at a row of water containers in front of a solid wall, but the cannon either missed or went through them all. Then it hit the hill, bounced, and flew/rolled towards the houses.

In that interview they gave, I seem to recall them mentioning the possibility of muzzle lift elevating the barrel of the cannon so that the shot went high. But yeah, not the wisest idea, building a residential district near a bomb disposal range.

I also believe that they mentioned that they weren't even on scene, and that it was the other three that work under them testing the myth.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]