Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002338 times)

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »

How does DF decide what equipment siegers and ambushers come with?  Is there any way to control the frequency of the various weapons and armour?  Can a sieger arrive with two one handed weapons?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »

1. Takes them from the entity's available weapons and organizes them into archer and melee squads.
2. No, it's either they have them or they don't.
3. No.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 16, 2012, 08:54:48 pm »

[CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:27:0]

Anybody know what these two numbers mean?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 16, 2012, 09:01:43 pm »

I'm assuming that the first number refers to the day of the month, since the calendar in DF is lunar; 27 would be a full moon, I believe. The second number I have no idea.

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2012, 12:23:22 am »

1. Takes them from the entity's available weapons and organizes them into archer and melee squads.
2. No, it's either they have them or they don't.
3. No.

Is there a fixed melee/archer ratio or does it go by the weapons?  Like if a civ has swords, axes and bows as the only available weapons, what proportions would the squads field them in?  And for armour does that mean if the civ has armour, the soldiers will always come with armour?  How does it decide what sort if there are multiple armours available?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 17, 2012, 02:52:30 am »

Is there a fixed melee/archer ratio or does it go by the weapons?  Like if a civ has swords, axes and bows as the only available weapons, what proportions would the squads field them in?  And for armour does that mean if the civ has armour, the soldiers will always come with armour?  How does it decide what sort if there are multiple armours available?
There are [COMMON], [RARE], [UNCOMMON] tags for equipment, vanilla has them on every armour and clothing, but you could try placing those on weapons too. If fails, try changing skill learn rates a bit so more desirable weapon would be trained slightly faster.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

CaptainFatty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 17, 2012, 04:33:47 am »

I'm just getting into modding and thought I'd start by adding a new race/civ. I tried to make it so their starting biome is ANY_DESERT, but I can't generate a map with a playable civilization, even though there are deserts on the map. Is it impossible to have a civ in the desert or am I missing something?

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot to put [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] unter the entity entry.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:41:48 am by CaptainFatty »

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 17, 2012, 08:29:36 am »

There are [COMMON], [RARE], [UNCOMMON] tags for equipment, vanilla has them on every armour and clothing, but you could try placing those on weapons too. If fails, try changing skill learn rates a bit so more desirable weapon would be trained slightly faster.

Those tags only work correctly with armor or clothing, not weapons. Furthermore, they just determine the likelihood that a civilization has access to that piece of equipment, not the frequency with which they are used.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 17, 2012, 12:19:27 pm »

I'm assuming that the first number refers to the day of the month, since the calendar in DF is lunar; 27 would be a full moon, I believe. The second number I have no idea.

I think I figured it out, there are 28 days in a dwarven month, thus there are 28 phases of the moon (one for each day)

0-27 = 28 numbers, each one representing a day (0 = 1st of month ; 27 = 28th of month etc)

27 is when it starts, the full moon.
0 is when it ends, a new moon.

So in theory 0:27 should result in a permanent change.

I haven't done any testing yet, but I will soon as this is the most plausible idea I can come up with thus far.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 17, 2012, 12:43:00 pm »

• What tags classify a creature as vermin? Is it just any [VERMIN_*]?
  • What effects does being a vermin have on a civ, both in fortress mode and in worldgen?
  • Is it possible to make a plant that poisons creatures without them attempting to interact with it?
  • Is it possible to make such a plant affect worldgen?
  • Does a COVERAGE value over 100 have any effect?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 17, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

Posting some of my modding experiment results:
  • This one's pretty old but [CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:#:#]accepts :START:#:END:# at the end, so temporary invincibility is possible.
  • More recent but still pretty old. You know how when you CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION someone's EYEs you can still see one tile around as an adventurer? If you also impair their HEARing (EARS) that limited sight disappears. You become completely unable to see anything you haven't already.
  • Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    Syndromes added to blood by interactions that give them won't transfer properly unless the creature was a historical figure. Needs more testing but you can't give, say a carp Vampire syndrome blood and be able to get the curse from it. This extends to the arena as well. To make syndrome blood work in the arena the creature must be named.
  • [CE_ADD_TAG:CRAZED:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:START:0] makes you attack just about everything. Adding UTTERANCES  to those make you entirely unable to function in a society in adv mode.
  • A very old observation: after every BODY tag that adds a new bodypart a BODY_DETAIL_PLAN that specifies the BP's tissues must be after it in order for any tissues to be placed within it. Just placing a BODY_DETAIL_PLAN in the main creature def and adding an extra BODY-part in caste (or even the same creature) won't work. Haven't tested if you can get easily different tissue layouts for specific bodyparts by having a BODY-part with a special BODY_DETAIL_PLAN.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 17, 2012, 01:44:04 pm »

• What tags classify a creature as vermin? Is it just any [VERMIN_*]?
  • What effects does being a vermin have on a civ, both in fortress mode and in worldgen?
  • Is it possible to make a plant that poisons creatures without them attempting to interact with it?
  • Is it possible to make such a plant affect worldgen?
  • Does a COVERAGE value over 100 have any effect?

1. Yep.
2. Not sure. I believe I read somewhere someone was trying it, and it didn't work well, but I can't find the topic right now.
3. They have to have some sort of contact with it. EX Gnomes and Gnomebllight.
4. Nope.
5. Nope. Coverage is a percent, 100% means it tries to block all attacks, 50 means it tries to block 50% of attacks, 0 means it doesn't block anything.

Now why does this Interaction crash?

Spoiler: Interaction (click to show/hide)

Bolded = problem

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

* The Interaction turns the person into a vampire-like creature for several ticks, then turns him into the Scrawn. All syndromes are copied from the interaction examples.
* The interaction works, the creature appears as a Scrawn. However, attempting to 'v' -> 'z' the creature crashes the game.
* I haven't tried it in fort mode, but this happens in arena mode, so I would assume it would happen in fort mode as well.
* Oddly, it only crashes when I apply it to certain creatures, such as intelligent humanoid creatures and domestic creatures.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 17, 2012, 02:13:43 pm »

Now why does this Interaction crash?

Spoiler: Interaction (click to show/hide)

Bolded = problem

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

* The Interaction turns the person into a vampire-like creature for several ticks, then turns him into the Scrawn. All syndromes are copied from the interaction examples.
* The interaction works, the creature appears as a Scrawn. However, attempting to 'v' -> 'z' the creature crashes the game.
* I haven't tried it in fort mode, but this happens in arena mode, so I would assume it would happen in fort mode as well.
* Oddly, it only crashes when I apply it to certain creatures, such as intelligent humanoid creatures and domestic creatures.
Found a typo in the creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
needs a SET_TL_GROUP, and transformations with multiple color modifiers (BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1, etc) seem to crash the creature for many people. I've found just removing the modifiers fixes the problem 9/10 times (1/10 it is a different problem or typo).

You can remove [CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:0:27], if the transformation has no END they'll always be transformed regardless. And you may also want to add [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:THE_INFECTION] else you infect the carriers repeatedly.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:16:39 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 17, 2012, 02:25:28 pm »

That fixed it! Thanks ArKFallen!

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 17, 2012, 03:26:40 pm »

Does a COVERAGE value over 100 have any effect?

Along with what IT 000 said, COVERAGE also contributes to the armor's weight. COVERAGE values over 100 can be used to make a piece of armor exceptionally heavy.

A little note about this that I found while testing something a while ago:
The impact that the armor has on the creature's speed seems to depend on its size. To clarify that, a dwarf will have a significant drop in speed upon wearing a dwarf-sized piece of armor with a COVERAGE of 500, while the speed drop that a kobold experiences upon wearing the same type of armor will be much smaller.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 544