Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002415 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1080 on: March 25, 2012, 09:25:39 am »

Im still trying to figure out what you expect to gain from building the creature from scratch instead of using the blueprint parts

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1081 on: March 25, 2012, 09:43:47 am »

Im still trying to figure out what you expect to gain from building the creature from scratch instead of using the blueprint parts
Sometimes the blueprint bodyparts don't do what you want them to. like setting a tail on the creatures head, blueprints are nice, but sometimes you just need to go full custom.

I'm sure after a bit Putnam will chop that body down and then use blueprints, but for now I think Putnam wants something to test with.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:10 am »

well yeah, but you can make those blueprints and add contypes yourself.. this body is just copy and pasted together from the blueprint file, exactly what DF already does.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1083 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:09 am »

Also a
[Body:CUSTOM_BODY]
is easier on the eyes then
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]

But hey I usally do a little of both, DF blueprints and sometimes complete bodies in one go.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 25, 2012, 10:05:45 am »

that does go both ways tho, having the BP's sperate is also easyer on the eye.
I was just wondering if he had some specific reasoning for doing it in a single creature, since it does seem to cause more issues than it solves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 25, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »

I do have specific reasoning. Note that neither the head nor the lower body have HEAD or LOWERBODY tags. This is because I don't want the creature to die. Because of this, any body parts with CONTYPE:HEAD or CONTYPE:LOWERBODY won't work, so I have to add them to the pile, too. I have experience with this; this is the method I used for Lord English. Also, thanks Hugo, it was NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 26, 2012, 12:26:49 pm »

Bit of an odd question: Can anybody confirm whether or not shell-bearing fish made by reactions actually have shells? I was testing some things with a reaction that gave me free raw turtles, and when I went to clean them at the fishery I found that no shells were being produced. Ocean-caught nautilus gave shells as expected.

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 27, 2012, 04:08:42 am »

Is there any way to control the price of ranged weapons?  They don't appear to be adjustable by the same method (size) as melee weapons and are all being priced at material * 10.

I'm also having some trouble with the creatures in my mod.  I'm pretty sure all of these were working at some time in the past, but now the Ventlurker, Zombie, Giant Rat and Dome slime are not being created in the world, and I'm not sure why, especially in the case of the Giant Rat (since it is an almost complete copy of the standard giant rat) and the Dome Slime (since it is a copy of the working Pond Slime, but with a different Biome).

Worlds generate no errorlog.

Ventlurker
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Giant Rat

Zombie

Dome Slime

List of monsters appearing in a sample world:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:27:14 am by Destroid »

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 27, 2012, 11:18:19 am »

Hi!

How possible is it to mod a mod with reactions from another fully-functional (TC?) mod?

Specifically: I kinda wanna play the Legends of Forlorn Realms mod, but I've grown too used to having Stonecutter's workshop producing bins from stone blocks while playing Masterwork and Genesis.

In my opinion it's kinda cheating to want to have easy access to bins and possibly barrels via modding a mod that doesn't have the possibility originally.
but but but.... save the trees and such? It's not like LFR has anthracite with 4 coke per boulder anyway, and digging some 150z deep for magma to start "proper" metal industry is quite a bit of work and !!FUN!!.

TL;DR

How do I mod in Stonecutter's Workshop into LFR? I already failed trying to do this by myself.
I can post the related raws as spoiler text if it's needed.
Quote from: #bay12games
<Skibiliano> I can just imagine a line of dwarves looking at two humans, "Breed!"

<Turgid> One dwarf to rule them all, one dwarf to find them, one dwarf to bring them all, and in the fortress bind them!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:57 am »

It's fairly easy to move reactions and buildings from one mod into another, unless the reactions deal with materials or things that exist only in the specific mod, then those need to be copied over as well. For something simple as making bins out of rock you should be able to just copy paste it straight into the new mod. Also remember to add the [PERMITTED_REACTION:XX] tag to the dwarven entity. Also if the reaction occurs in a custom building you will need to copy the building as well and add [PERMITTED_BUILDING:XX] to the dwarven entity.

@Destroid
Do you have this at the top of your text file the creatures are in?
Code: [Select]
creature_xxxx

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 27, 2012, 11:42:57 am »

erp
I'm all thumbs with this.

I added the following to entity_default.txt just before the ethics tags.

And this to reaction_stonecutter.txt (which was also renamed reaction_grinder.txt to try out, no luck)

Do I have to trim these a bit, since I'm not entirely sure those rocktip bolts are in LFR otherwise?
Or is the problem somewhere else?
<Skibiliano> I can just imagine a line of dwarves looking at two humans, "Breed!"

<Turgid> One dwarf to rule them all, one dwarf to find them, one dwarf to bring them all, and in the fortress bind them!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:05 am »

Most of those are fine, there is just a few that require extra work, which are the rock tip ones. Those ones either need to be removed, or you also need to copy over the rock tip plant into the new mod. Lastly you need to copy over the grinder building information as well. This should be in a text file labeled "building_xxx.txt" or something like that. Look for [BUILDING_WORKSHOP:GRINDER] and copy the entry that follows over into the new mod.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:16 pm »

Most of those are fine, there is just a few that require extra work, which are the rock tip ones. Those ones either need to be removed, or you also need to copy over the rock tip plant into the new mod. Lastly you need to copy over the grinder building information as well. This should be in a text file labeled "building_xxx.txt" or something like that. Look for [BUILDING_WORKSHOP:GRINDER] and copy the entry that follows over into the new mod.
Removing the rocktips didn't quite work.
There are now two new files I created for this purpose alone

building_stonecutter.txt

and reaction_stonecutter.txt

I trimmed the rocktip reactions out of entity_default.txt also.

shouldn't it work now? I mean it's allowed for dwarves, and it's got files to read the info from.
The next thing that's messing things I can think of is different tilesets, Masterwork/Genesis uses Phoebus' tiles, and LFR uses Ironhand.

I'm not really all that sure it'd depend on that though.

Scratch that, I was missing [OBJECT:BUILDING] on building_stonecutter.txt. Works fine now! Thank you for your help.

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 27, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »

@Destroid
Do you have this at the top of your text file the creatures are in?
Code: [Select]
creature_xxxx

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

Yep, all creatures work in the arena, it's a problem with worldgen.  Adjusting worlgen parameters back to standard doesn't help (we use a custom worlgen for the mod).

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »

Ok quick question.... is there a way to set a minimum amount of time required for a custom reaction?
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 544