Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002088 times)

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1320 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:39 pm »

Ah, that is unfortunate. I suppose i'll skip making them statue like for now and continue on to making the workshops and creature raws for them for now.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 16, 2012, 11:25:52 pm »

I tried to make a creature with stone skin (same gooey innards), but it didn't seem to afford much protection. At all. The skin wasn't getting bruised or torn, but just about everything else was. Is that to be expected, or might I have messed something up in my tissue definitions?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 16, 2012, 11:28:08 pm »

I tried to make a creature with stone skin (same gooey innards), but it didn't seem to afford much protection. At all. The skin wasn't getting bruised or torn, but just about everything else was. Is that to be expected, or might I have messed something up in my tissue definitions?

I think it sounds about normal, yeah. Maybe you could make them have thicker rockskin?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 16, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »

Any suggestions for a synthesized material (eg not just another ore) that still costs something? Thinking how to make superhero metals.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 16, 2012, 11:32:42 pm »

Any suggestions for a synthesized material (eg not just another ore) that still costs something? Thinking how to make superhero metals.

I've done shearing, egg-laying, and growing from plants; also possible now are butchering with EBOs.

For superheroes, I'd say egg-laying is great, if only for the camp value.

"Then, when Charles Chandler discovered the GOOSE THAT LAYED AN EGG MADE OF A METAL THAT GAVE HIM SUPERPOWERS, he became the MIGHTY GOOSE-MAN!"

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 16, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »

Turns out I'm pretty sure I'm doing the tissue layering wrong, as I just saw skin getting bruised. Errorlog is empty, but here's what I got for the tissue:

Code: [Select]
[TISSUE:STONE]
[TISSUE_NAME:stone skin:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:GRANITE] 
[HEALING_RATE:250]
[CONNECTS]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:10]
[THICKENS_ON_STRENGTH]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

And within the stone-skinned caste:

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN]
[SET_LAYER_TISSUE:STONE]

Halp?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »

Note: I started looking at the RAWs with the intent of modding just last night. Be gentle :P

So, I'm trying to make an Aliens-style mod (or atleast facehuggers) but I've got an issue. For testing purposes, I've given humans the power to facerape and made the attack cause instant necrosis.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Earlier, when I used it on another human I just got the "you facehug!" and nothing else, with none of the effects taking place. When I (tried) to define the bodypart to attack, nothing happens. No message, not necrosis. Nothing. Halp.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 17, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »

Note: I started looking at the RAWs with the intent of modding just last night. Be gentle :P

So, I'm trying to make an Aliens-style mod (or atleast facehuggers) but I've got an issue. For testing purposes, I've given humans the power to facerape and made the attack cause instant necrosis.
Earlier, when I used it on another human I just got the "you facehug!" and nothing else, with none of the effects taking place. When I (tried) to define the bodypart to attack, nothing happens. No message, not necrosis. Nothing. Halp.

Your syndrome may be ending too fast for the necrosis to take effect. What is your goal here - to kill the victim or to cause a disabling injury?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:30 pm »

Your syndrome may be ending too fast for the necrosis to take effect. What is your goal here - to kill the victim or to cause a disabling injury?
It's just a proof-of-concept, something I'm throwing together to make sure the syndrome passes correctly with the facehug before working on the technical details, like working around not being able to create a new creature while killing the original at the same time. Let's go with kill.

EDIT: What are the speed units? Ticks? How fast is 1 tick?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 17, 2012, 08:56:56 pm »

Pause the game in arena or dwarf mode and press the period key. That's one tick. There are 1200 ticks in a fortress mode day.

Also, CE_NECROSIS requires a target for it to know what you're trying to rot. Do something like...

[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:10000:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:ALL:START:1:PEAK:50:END:1200]
This would (or should, anyway) make all of the tissue on their head rot.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:56 pm »

I replaced the necrosis code with the one you provided, but still have the problem. I don't get any kind of message when I attack and nothing happens.

EDIT: Changing [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_BP] to [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE] and the syndrome to unconsciousness made the effects apply again. Even with the head being referred to by the CDI in the human's RAW file it wouldn't work for some reason. I would guess my lack of modding knowledge made me set it up so it hates symptoms that need to have a target because I set it up wrong.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:03:09 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 18, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »

Interesting fact: if you increase IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD to a certain value (over 50000, to be precise), then attacks will bruise the tissue with that material, but if that SAME material has a SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD of less than 25000, then bladed weapons will fracture and shatter that tissue. Weird as hell.
Do you have more on this while matter? Maybe we can figure it out with some community !!SCIENCE!!.

I think shattering comes from the fact that if you lower the second indicated value, the material becomes more brittle to cutting and becomes fractured instead of cut.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 18, 2012, 07:03:42 pm »

Two things:

Can a creature be modded to shoot out another creature?

Can creatures be modded to, when they touch one another, combine into something more sinister?

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:57 pm »

The first one seems pretty impossible, but the second is interesting. If you gave creature 1 a secretion with a syndrome that turned creature 2 into the "combined form," and gave creature 2 a syndrome that turned creature 1 into another creature that immediately dies and doesn't leave a corpse...

It'd be pretty janky, but it might work.

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 18, 2012, 07:08:28 pm »

The first one seems pretty impossible, but the second is interesting. If you gave creature 1 a secretion with a syndrome that turned creature 2 into the "combined form," and gave creature 2 a syndrome that turned creature 1 into another creature that immediately dies and doesn't leave a corpse...

It'd be pretty janky, but it might work.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

EDIT: Would making the unlucky one necrosize into oblivion work?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:14:47 pm by Souleater17 »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 544