Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002260 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4050 on: February 10, 2013, 01:22:28 am »

Does anyone know what happens if you have a creature with a single caste that has both the [MALE] and [FEMALE] tags, and appropriate breeding specifications?  Will it breed as long as there are two members of the species, or will the confused critter not be able to breed at all?  For that matter, could one individual self-pollinate?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: February 10, 2013, 01:34:20 am »

the latter tag takes priority.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: February 10, 2013, 11:34:14 am »

Quickie question.

Standard vanilla pikes and halberds have a [MINIMUM_SIZE:62500] and dwarves are [BODY_SIZE12:0:60000]

This means that in Fort mode the dwarves will not be able to use the pikes and halberds unless I change the [MINIMUM_SIZE] to meet the dwarves' body_size value, right? (Arena mode would be misleading then, the dorfs used the weapons just fine there, so I assumed the unedited two-handers it would work in Fort mode as well.)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »

i am thinking to make a playpen workshop. The idea is to use it to train social skills and create happiness vapor. But i don't know
if children will be capable of ue it or not.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »

Quickie question.

Standard vanilla pikes and halberds have a [MINIMUM_SIZE:62500] and dwarves are [BODY_SIZE12:0:60000]

This means that in Fort mode the dwarves will not be able to use the pikes and halberds unless I change the [MINIMUM_SIZE] to meet the dwarves' body_size value, right? (Arena mode would be misleading then, the dorfs used the weapons just fine there, so I assumed the unedited two-handers it would work in Fort mode as well.)

As far as I know, yes, unless it is a particularly big dwarf. It should be easy to test, if you don't believe me.

i am thinking to make a playpen workshop. The idea is to use it to train social skills and create happiness vapor. But i don't know
if children will be capable of ue it or not.

They can, but it is kind of a glitch, if you use Dwarf Therapist. Otherwise they won't use it. You also can't create happiness vapor, unfortunately.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Alavander

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Battered Kobold Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: February 11, 2013, 05:00:41 am »

entity_default.txt
From what I've saw the rarity tag on items ( [GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS:COMMON] )
works that way that the generated civ either have the access to item, or doesn't have it.

Common makes it so that the civ will almost always have the items, uncommon makes it about 50%, and rare is, well, rare. (Plain observation, not solid numbers).

So when the siege comes, they either all have shiny iron breastplates (except archers - propably they use uniforms too), or shiny iron mail shirts, if they were less lucky during world gen. (mail shirt is common)

Maybe its some error at my point, I dunno, had like three sieges so far in three different games, so not much data collected.

Actual question: Did I figured it right? Can you somehow modify the chances of different types of armor/metal appering for a singular invaders? I'd like for example to have a wood elves riding party be armed mostly with wood, with a few lucky ones brandishing weapons made of truesilver (for example). Or goblins running around with rusty iron and bronze, with one ocasionally wielding a steel weapon or having a nice (propably dwarven) steel breastplate.

Edit: Geh, damn it, i'll go all out with all the questions I've gotten so far... sorry for spam :)

Question 2: All missles in game currently go into quiver to be used? (For example kobold mod got throwing javelins/hammers/axes) Do the size of missle matters when it comes to quiver capacity, or its hardcoded to be 25? And if yes, then do size of missle matters much in ranged combat, or its just material properties and bow velocity/power mostly?

Question 3: Progress triggers in entity_default.txt - what are values for trade and production triggers (population values are listed on wiki)? It is changable? I tend to see the production skyrocket at some point, even with artifacts turned off. Its going wild, really, especially with a skilled cook around. Food values are really game breaking. Ah, here cometh another one...

Question 4: How to cut down food values? Manually, loweing the material value of every meat/plants/fishesh etc.?

Ty in advance, and sorry for the spam.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:30:33 am by Alavander »
The kobolds of Kador Kar knew the meaning of word "hardship". But they we're wrong. It certainly wasn't the right name for these giant hamsters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: February 11, 2013, 06:18:25 am »

1)Yes you can modify what type of armor and what materials civilizations have access to. However you can't modify who has access to a given material/armor within a siege or ambush. Either they all have something, or none of them have it, no inbetweens.

2)Yes all missiles currently go into the quiver. AFAIK quiver storage capacity is hardcoded. Size works in combination with material density to determine weight, which in combination with velocity determines how much damage it can do.

3)The various values for the progress triggers and their types can be found on the wiki.

4)Yeah, manually lowering everything is just about all you can do.

And no problem, that's what the thread is here for anyways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: February 11, 2013, 03:02:37 pm »

While we are on the topic of armor...

Is it possible to create custom pieces of armor for a specific part of the body?

I know that it's possible to create a custom piece of armor for the HEAD, BODY, HANDS, LEGS, and FEET, (armor, helms, gloves, pants, and shoes text files in the raws) but if I wanted to create a bracer designed specifically to be worn on a units lower arms, would that be possible?

Specialized armor designed to be worn on specific parts would be fantastic.  Mouthguards to cover teeth and keep them from being scattered, neckguards to prevent one-shot bleed outs, bracers to be worn on the arms, etc.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: February 11, 2013, 03:10:23 pm »

Quickie question.

Minimum_Size only affects fort mode. Adventurers and Arena combatants can use anything. I've got a Misc. Object user wielding a 50 ton dragon corpse.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: February 11, 2013, 04:26:25 pm »

How do I make a grass type immune to all fire damage, including dragonfire?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: February 11, 2013, 04:54:54 pm »

Presumably set the materials of the grass to have no ignition or HEAT_DAM point?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:24 pm »

Presumably set the materials of the grass to have no ignition or HEAT_DAM point?

Would setting a homeotherm and fixed temp like the nether caps also achieve this? I really don't want to create a whole new plant tissue template.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: February 11, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »

Homeotherm is only for creatures, btw.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: February 11, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »

Okay.. I've taken a look at Nether-cap raws. There is no homeotherm like I thought there was, you're right. As follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How would I apply that to the grass? I don't know a whole lot about messing with material templates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: February 11, 2013, 07:31:51 pm »

Do it with the grass's basic material.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 544