Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002479 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4320 on: March 03, 2013, 02:46:27 pm »

Also increase its spec heat maybe

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: March 03, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »

Hullo, I have one or two more questions before I'm finally able to get this darned race finalized.

1. Is it possible for a creature without hands to be able to pick up weaponry and tools?

2. I want each of my castes to have their own names in arena mode (Ex: Hyena man 1, Hyena woman 2, Warg 3, etc) But I have no idea how to make it so in the raws, because whatever I do they still turn out as hyena man 1/2/3. I also have the problem of the warg caste only showing up as female in the arena. That's not as much of a problem, but I would still like to know what's up with that.

3. Is it possible for a non intelligent creature (a pet, essentially) to give birth to functional civ members?

my raws, in case they're asked for.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: March 03, 2013, 03:18:24 pm »

1) Yes, just give another body part (like the mouth or feet) the [GRASPS] token.

2) Not possible, unless you give them a syndrome secretion / self-use interaction that appends something to their name

3) Only with hacking.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: March 03, 2013, 03:19:04 pm »

1. Is it possible for a creature without hands to be able to pick up weaponry and tools?

No

2. I want each of my castes to have their own names in arena mode (Ex: Hyena man 1, Hyena woman 2, Warg 3, etc) But I have no idea how to make it so in the raws, because whatever I do they still turn out as hyena man 1/2/3. I also have the problem of the warg caste only showing up as female in the arena. That's not as much of a problem, but I would still like to know what's up with that.

The name of the creature in arena mode is just a name, it will not show up in fortress mode. You can change it on an individual bases, but it is unchangeable and impotent as far as the game is concerned.

Do you have a male warg cast? *Looks at Warg*. Oh I see. You need to have male and female as separate casts, you only have one cast, so it won't work.

3. Is it possible for a non intelligent creature (a pet, essentially) to give birth to functional civ members?

Kind of, but it is messy. Hugo was working on something like that. I myself have another kind of walk around, but it is even messier. Hugo's makes your guy give birth to dwarves, but mine basically just transforms them into dwarves.

Basically in my way, you give them a syndrome that turns them into the species you want. They then act like the species, with some glitches, but they can do anything the civ members can like that.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: March 03, 2013, 03:35:16 pm »

The both of you are giving me rather different replies on the grasping issue, but ah, thank you very much for your help! Maybe I'll finally be able to play DF without being irritated over my incomplete race.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: March 03, 2013, 03:42:23 pm »

The both of you are giving me rather different replies on the grasping issue, but ah, thank you very much for your help! Maybe I'll finally be able to play DF without being irritated over my incomplete race.

It is my understanding of it that having the [GRASP] tag effectively makes it a hand, since it will wield weaponry and such. You might as well just rename your hands something else.

Do you need help with the coding on number 3?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4326 on: March 03, 2013, 03:48:28 pm »

3) Only with hacking.

This is not true. I have it in my mod, it works, only problem that arises is that the corpses are not buried, you have to slab all of them after they die.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: March 03, 2013, 03:50:10 pm »

[GRASP] doesn't add fingers or wrists or automatically put it at the end of an arm. So, you can add it to mouths and the only difference is that the creature will be able to pick up something with their mouth, like a dog. They can still bite with the mouth. So, things can totally use tools and pick stuff up without actual hands.

But yes, the soldiers will bring weapons grasped in their mouths if you do that. You could give the token to feet or tentacles or whatever other body part you want, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:00 pm »

That works automatically. If you add new plants, creatures and inorganics, dwarves will automatically like them now and then.
How about creating the material as a product of a creature with the [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag? Or maybe it's the [FANCIFUL] tag -- I don't ever recall seeing a dwarf who liked leather or bone from any of the game's fanciful creatures.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:27 am »

If you make a baby snatcher civ, do Dwarves lay siege? I got none in 10 years but considering I only got 2 human siege and 3 elven ambushes, I may have chosen a wrong position.

Also, is there something preventing goblins to trade with me? All the places I tried had "No trade". I wanted at least merchants so I can properly antagonize then.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:41 am »

Alright the question train has came to a complete stop
just one thing I am having trouble doing

1. Is it possible to have a creature that is mounted on a horse that he is connected to? Since my idea was to make a secret that involves being blood bounded to a dark horse and if the horse dies the rider dies so why not make it connected?

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:18 am »

Lazy modder question. What would be a good melting temperature for a material that you could make cages from and would melt if the cages are on stone near magma?
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: March 04, 2013, 11:54:20 am »

Hey, friends.  I'm having a bit of trouble getting a syndrome to work right.

• When touched, they should start vomiting blood and bleeding from their eyes, before dying of severe spinal and brain necrosis.
  • I can get the necrosis to start, but no one dies of it and it's labeled as "minor rot" when viewed. 
  • As for the vomit, only one or two tiles get a "spattering" (I want them to constantly spew blood).
  • They don't bleed from the eyes either, as far as I can tell.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help would be nice. 
Interaction with accompanying syndrome beneath the spoiler.

EDIT: I had the eye-bleeding as by_category instead of by_type, so fixed that.  The other problems still stand, though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:39:00 pm by evictedSaint »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: March 04, 2013, 04:13:58 pm »

What would be a good melting temperature for a material that you could make cages from and would melt if the cages are on stone near magma?
Warm tiles are at 10075 degrees, and the outside temperature at the default worldgen temperature settings max out at... somewhere in the 10050-10060 region?

10074 would certainly do it, though you may want to mess with the specific heat to control how fast the material gets from ambient temperature (underground, this is always 10015 degrees) to its melting temperature.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: March 04, 2013, 05:56:28 pm »

Hey, friends.  I'm having a bit of trouble getting a syndrome to work right.

• When touched, they should start vomiting blood and bleeding from their eyes, before dying of severe spinal and brain necrosis.
  • I can get the necrosis to start, but no one dies of it and it's labeled as "minor rot" when viewed. 
  • As for the vomit, only one or two tiles get a "spattering" (I want them to constantly spew blood).
  • They don't bleed from the eyes either, as far as I can tell.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help would be nice. 
Interaction with accompanying syndrome beneath the spoiler.

EDIT: I had the eye-bleeding as by_category instead of by_type, so fixed that.  The other problems still stand, though.

The severity is really low for a syndrome, jacking it up a lot should help.

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 544