Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999490 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4530 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57:09 pm »

guess this is impossible then:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armour

I'm trying to make these guys:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Marine

I want to make it so that my dwarves can go to a building and then cause a boiling stone process to change their body. But I want it to have 19 steps. The last being a implanted form with an extra part.

I'd like each step to inject the dwarf's body with a new organ via a boiling stone transformation. But doing that would require a 19 race change for each step right?

But since power armor is just general I guess I'll just forget about it.

Actually, you could make a new creature that is essentially a person in power armor, and transform a dwarf or whatever into that in a reaction which consumes various pieces of power armor called "Wear Power Armor" or something. Then, if/when they need to get out, have them do a reaction called "Take Off Power Armor" or something, which gives you back the armor.

using the same boiling stone process??
this could work....hmmm..

As for inserting them with gene seeds, do I just create 19 different races and one Power Armor race that has the parts of the others in sequence for my desired effects? Using the boiling stone syndrome to transformation process?

Unfortunately that won't work, since you can only transform a creature once. It would be possible to make it a 19 step syndrome with boiling rocks, but they would not be able to transform him each time, unless you want to do a time limit (For example, you could have a syndrome that transforms a guy 19 times, or a bunch of other complicated things)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

QuiteFranklyMyMaN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: March 20, 2013, 03:59:28 pm »

I want to make it so that my dwarves can go to a building and then cause a boiling stone process to change their body. But I want it to have 19 steps. The last being a implanted form with an extra part.

I'd like each step to inject the dwarf's body with a new organ via a boiling stone transformation. But doing that would require a 19 race change for each step right?

Actually, you could make a new creature that is essentially a person in power armor, and transform a dwarf or whatever into that in a reaction which consumes various pieces of power armor called "Wear Power Armor" or something. Then, if/when they need to get out, have them do a reaction called "Take Off Power Armor" or something, which gives you back the armor.

As for inserting them with gene seeds, do I just create 19 different races and one Power Armor race that has the parts of the others in sequence for my desired effects? Using the boiling stone syndrome to transformation process?

Unfortunately that won't work, since you can only transform a creature once. It would be possible to make it a 19 step syndrome with boiling rocks, but they would not be able to transform him each time, unless you want to do a time limit (For example, you could have a syndrome that transforms a guy 19 times, or a bunch of other complicated things)

how can I make the transformations last over a long period of time, because this can work out great. I need to to add an organ every 3 months during the transformation process to Aristates. Until its complete and when at the end it transforms the guy into a full blown Aristates.

err how can I do this!!?

QuiteFranklyMyMaN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: March 20, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »

No, you'll need to use the new trueTransformation dfhack feature.  Otherwise, with regular boiling stone transformations, you can only ever transform each creature once, not 19 times and not back-and-forth from "in armor" to "out of armor" states.

You probably want dfhack anyway for a 19 step process so you can use autosyndrome, otherwise each step may or may not work.

Well wait, Im not against using this Dfhack, how would I make it so my DF runs using DF hack in my modded game? I could do it this way.

What is this, "autosyndrome"

please sir forgive my ignorance...

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:52 pm »

how can I make the transformations last over a long period of time, because this can work out great. I need to to add an organ every 3 months during the transformation process to Aristates. Until its complete and when at the end it transforms the guy into a full blown Aristates.

err how can I do this!!?

Ah, yes, as smakemupagus has reminded me, you'll need trueTransformation from DFHack for that, if you want multiple transformations or transformations with no time limit. It would allow you to do a 19-step process at the end of which they are essentially tireless unending metal obelisks of destruction, though it would take like 20-40 additional castes for dwarves if you're doing this in Fort mode (IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only transformations into another caste of the same creature will allow you to give said creature jobs in fort mode, correct? And you'd have to have separate castes for female dwarves, if you want them to be able to do this). Or you could theoretically use CE_ADD_TAG but that may or may not work for this, depending on what you want.

Well wait, Im not against using this Dfhack, how would I make it so my DF runs using DF hack in my modded game? I could do it this way.

What is this, "autosyndrome"

please sir forgive my ignorance...

You should see the DFHack thread somewhere in the topic list, direct all DFHack-related questions there please. Anyways, autoSyndrome allows you to guaranteed, 100% apply syndromes to creatures under certain circumstances. Meph made a guide which outlines how to apply a syndrome when a specific reaction is done using it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:02:35 pm by Spirit of Power »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: March 20, 2013, 04:11:36 pm »

err how can I do this!!?

It would be a syndrome something like this:

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:Armor transform]
[SYN_INHALED]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:1:END:50000]
                   [CE:CREATURE:CREATURE1:MALE]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:50000:END:100000]
                [CE:CREATURE:CREATURE2:MALE]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:100000:END:150000]
                [CE:CREATURE:CREATURE3:MALE]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:100000:]
                [CE:CREATURE:CREATURELAST:MALE]

And that might be able to work. I was just doing a general thing, it might not work perfectly if you just use that.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:15 pm »

@Spirit if he's willing to go that far, then just go to Dfusion and use the friendship plugin to give the creatures  jobs and usefulness.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: March 20, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »

What you're trying to do is really complicated.  I sort of would advise you to get the hang of doing a single transformation or other simpler "syndrome magic" first, even to get started there it can be complicated, you might want to download a mod that already has stuff for you to look at.  For example you can't do totally arbitrary things with a syndrome, you have to look at Syndrome tokens on the wiki, see what you can do, and figure out what is close enough to what you want to make it work.  If you really think this 19 step transformation process business is worth diving right in at the deep end, then DFHack thread is the place to go.

autosyndrome
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4108566#msg4108566

But noone is going to be able to tell you the "right" way to do it, because you are doing something quite hard and unusual there will be compromises and creative solutions and etc.  For example you could have the guy get dizzy one month, get more agile the next month, go blind for 2 weeks, etc. etc. and then transform at the end after 19 months, all in one syndrome.  Or you could make 38 new creatures and 19 transformations for each of 2 genders and deal with all that, maybe or maybe not, because trueTransform is really new.  Up to you.

QuiteFranklyMyMaN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:09 pm »

What you're trying to do is really complicated.  I sort of would advise you to get the hang of doing a single transformation or other simpler "syndrome magic" first, even to get started there it can be complicated, you might want to download a mod that already has stuff for you to look at.  For example you can't do totally arbitrary things with a syndrome, you have to look at Syndrome tokens on the wiki, see what you can do, and figure out what is close enough to what you want to make it work.  If you really think this 19 step transformation process business is worth diving right in at the deep end, then DFHack thread is the place to go.

autosyndrome
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4108566#msg4108566

But noone is going to be able to tell you the "right" way to do it, because you are doing something quite hard and unusual there will be compromises and creative solutions and etc.  For example you could have the guy get dizzy one month, get more agile the next month, go blind for 2 weeks, etc. etc. and then transform at the end after 19 months, all in one syndrome.  Or you could make 38 new creatures and 19 transformations for each of 2 genders and deal with all that, maybe or maybe not, because trueTransform is really new.  Up to you.

hmmmmmm, yeah. But from what I can see it's possible....

so thats a start.... so I'll go ask about trueTransform in the DFhack forum then.. thank!!!

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: March 20, 2013, 05:41:59 pm »

What control's the Human Diplomat's ability to report traps back so that later siegers can ignore them?  Is this something that is hard coded to diplomats, or could it be given to something else?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: March 20, 2013, 05:43:39 pm »

IIRC Meph made a script which you can use/modify to apply a syndrome when a specific reaction is done.

Agh why does everyone seem to think this?

autoSyndrome does that. expwnent made that plugin. Meph made the topic explaining its usage.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: March 20, 2013, 05:46:35 pm »

What control's the Human Diplomat's ability to report traps back so that later siegers can ignore them?  Is this something that is hard coded to diplomats, or could it be given to something else?

I think any official that can visit a fort will report traps.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:07 pm »

So, no way to stick it on something like thieves or snatchers, then?
And, I'm going to guess that there's no way to get a hostile civ to send a stealth diplomat that won't try to meet with anyone, right?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4542 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:35 pm »

IIRC Meph made a script which you can use/modify to apply a syndrome when a specific reaction is done.

autoSyndrome does that. expwnent made that plugin. Meph made the topic explaining its usage.

You cant blame me. ^^ I always write the names of the scripts authors next to it... expwnent, falconne, putnam. I dont know why people think that... its the same with the therapist. "Hey meph has this super custom therapist, which it totally not done by splinterz at all. Not even a bit."
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: March 20, 2013, 05:55:03 pm »

You cant blame me. ^^ I always write the names of the scripts authors next to it... expwnent, falconne, putnam. I dont know why people think that... its the same with the therapist. "Hey meph has this super custom therapist, which it totally not done by splinterz at all. Not even a bit."

Well I know it's not your fault :P I've seen the issue before; it's an oddity. People latch on to one person in the community and automatically assume that everything is done by him/her sometimes. It appears you've got that one :P

So, no way to stick it on something like thieves or snatchers, then?
And, I'm going to guess that there's no way to get a hostile civ to send a stealth diplomat that won't try to meet with anyone, right?

Anything not in here doesn't exist.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: March 20, 2013, 07:01:20 pm »

Well I know it's not your fault :P I've seen the issue before; it's an oddity. People latch on to one person in the community and automatically assume that everything is done by him/her sometimes. It appears you've got that one :P

Sorry, I just sort of assumed that Meph did that :/

I knew he didn't make autoSyndrome, but I thought he did make a script which does that. Eh, close-ish, he made a guide for it. I'll go back and edit my post then.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 544