Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002310 times)

George7823

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5535 on: July 24, 2013, 01:50:18 am »

Hey guys  :D, I'm having problems trying to put Bronze Colossus as Playable Race in Adventure mode . I Putted
Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:BRONZE][INDIV_CONTROLLABLE][CREATURE:COLOSSUS_BRONZE]  on entity_default.txt at the bottom.  But when i try to make a new world it keep rejecting and restarting. D: I checked the error Log but nothing. :/

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: July 24, 2013, 01:55:09 am »

Hey guys  :D, I'm having problems trying to put Bronze Colossus as Playable Race in Adventure mode . I Putted
[ENTITY:BRONZE][INDIV_CONTROLLABLE][CREATURE:COLOSSUS_BRONZE]  on entity_default.txt at the bottom.  But when i try to make a new world it keep rejecting and restarting. D: I checked the error Log but nothing. :/
The worldgen errors are found in map_rejection_log.txt, but this isn't generated by default. You have to go into d_init.txt and set LOG_MAP_REJECTS to YES to find out what's wrong with the worldgen.

George7823

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: July 24, 2013, 01:20:18 pm »

Alright I found the Problem(Thanks to MagmaFry) :D, For some odd reason world Generations wont Generate Civilizations weird. :/  Any idea why?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: July 24, 2013, 01:29:15 pm »

Alright I found the Problem(Thanks to MagmaFry) :D, For some odd reason world Generations wont Generate Civilizations weird. :/  Any idea why?
I tested your changes and they work fine for me. Did you change any other parts of the raws? Did you change any worldgen settings?

George7823

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: July 24, 2013, 02:35:43 pm »

Well I tried putting  [PLAYABLE_RACE] Token Under Bronze Colossus on Creature Standard .txt but I removed it because it was one of Problems. And I remember tried Spawning Logs on the reaction smelter on my Dwarf Fortress mode but that didn't work. :/ And that all . Should I just get a another Fresh Copy of Dwarf fortress and deletes the old One . Also did Bronze Colossus Playable on adventure worked?   

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: July 24, 2013, 02:47:32 pm »

Well I tried putting  [PLAYABLE_RACE] Token Under Bronze Colossus on Creature Standard .txt but I removed it because it was one of Problems. And I remember tried Spawning Logs on the reaction smelter on my Dwarf Fortress mode but that didn't work. :/ And that all . Should I just get a another Fresh Copy of Dwarf fortress and deletes the old One . Also did Bronze Colossus Playable on adventure worked?
Yes, I can play as a bronze colossus in adv mode in the world I just generated. And yes, you'll probably need a new copy of DF if you can't remember everything you changed. Hint: Next time, make a backup of the default raws folder, so you won't need to reextract (or even redownload) the entire DF folder.

By the way, here's a valid log-making reaction for the smelter:
[REACTION:MAKE_LOGS]
  [NAME:spawn a log]
  [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
  [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:OAK:WOOD]
Don't forget to add [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_LOGS] to all entities that should be able to do that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:42:17 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: July 24, 2013, 02:51:58 pm »

This is my first time posting so apologies if I do something incorrectly.

As someone who has taught the use of, and regularly handles medieval-type weapons, I have naturally been unhappy with the behaviour of the weapons in vanilla DF. I sought to tailor their stats to better behave to my liking, however it appears that no matter what values I tweak, I still end up with small daggers severing arms and legs (and just recently cutting a human completely in half, but this has only happened once so far).

This is the vanilla DF dagger's slashing attack.
[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:800:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]It is my understanding that the first number value is the contact area of the attack and the second number value is how deep the attack goes. It is also my understanding that if the size of the limb being struck is less than these values then it is virtually guaranteed that the limb will be severed.

I figured reducing these values would be enough to solve my problem. Here is what I've changed them to.
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:500:cut:cuts:edge:1000]I realise this has technically made the slashing attack a stabbing attack, which should make it even less likely to sever limbs, yet it still does.

I am left to assume that it might be the actual limb size that needs to be tweaked.

My questions are:
1. Is it my error or misunderstanding that is causing my troubles? If so, would you all please point them out to me?
2a. If it is not my error or misunderstanding, how do I change the limb sizes on creatures, and what would be the possible consequences of doing so?
2b. Is there a coherent list or such detailing the relative size of limbs on a human or dwarf (or elf, or whathaveyou), or otherwise where would I find such information in the raw files?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: July 24, 2013, 03:26:48 pm »

My questions are:
1. Is it my error or misunderstanding that is causing my troubles? If so, would you all please point them out to me?
2a. If it is not my error or misunderstanding, how do I change the limb sizes on creatures, and what would be the possible consequences of doing so?
2b. Is there a coherent list or such detailing the relative size of limbs on a human or dwarf (or elf, or whathaveyou), or otherwise where would I find such information in the raw files?
1. I don't really understand the mechanics either. I guess you could make the dagger have lots of attacks with modified parameters (most importantly attack speed) for testing, then just pick the one that behaves most like you want it to behave.
2a. Regardless of how large the body sizes are, it is still best practice to change the attack to match the body, not vice versa.
2b. There are three places in the raws where bodypart sizes can be defined. In [BODY:] raws (body_default.txt), RELSIZE defines the relative size of a body part to the other body parts. These sizes can be overridden in a creature by using a body detail plan with BP_RELSIZE (b_detail_plan_default.txt defines HUMANOID_RELSIZES which is actually used by most natural creatures, not only humanoid ones), and you can further override them in creature raws by using RELSIZE (look at the dwarf raws in creature_standard.txt to see how they get bigger-than-default livers).

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: July 24, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »

1. I don't really understand the mechanics either. I guess you could make the dagger have lots of attacks with modified parameters (most importantly attack speed) for testing, then just pick the one that behaves most like you want it to behave.
2a. Regardless of how large the body sizes are, it is still best practice to change the attack to match the body, not vice versa.
2b. There are three places in the raws where bodypart sizes can be defined. In [BODY:] raws (body_default.txt), RELSIZE defines the relative size of a body part to the other body parts. These sizes can be overridden in a creature by using a body detail plan with BP_RELSIZE (b_detail_plan_default.txt defines HUMANOID_RELSIZES which is actually used by most natural creatures, not only humanoid ones), and you can further override them in creature raws by using RELSIZE (look at the dwarf raws in creature_standard.txt to see how they get bigger-than-default livers).

1. I've tweaked them several times over as it is, but I suppose I could just crunch it out and keep experimenting.
2a. I figured as much.
2b. Do these RELSIZE values really only adjust the size in comparison to the creature's other body parts and not the size of the limb in general? By that, I mean
[BODY:BASIC_3PARTARMS]
[BP:RUA:right upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
Is the 200 value just a ratio-type figure or is that the actual size of the limb making it so that a contact area of 200 or greater would hit the entire surface of the limb? Based on what the file says it seems to only be a ratio-type figure and means nothing when it comes to weapon stats.

If no one knows for sure I suppose I'll just have to dig in and figure it out.

Thank you for the response.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:10 pm »

No, the 200 is just relative to the body. So if an upper body has relsize 1000 and an upper arm has relsize 200, DF will make the upper body five times as large as the upper arm. Also, remember that the creatures have a BODY_SIZE value, which also determines the size of the body parts. For example, both dragons and cats use the QUADRUPED body definition, yet dragon legs are still much larger than cat legs.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: July 24, 2013, 04:03:24 pm »

Think of them as "shares".

Imagine a body with relsizes of 50 for the head, 200 for the torso, 30 for each arm and 100 for each leg. The creature is SIZE:60000 (60.000 cm³, about 60kg with human tissue densities).

The total amount of relsize "shares" is 510. How big is one of the arms?
30/510 ≈ 0.0588 (percentage of total body volume)
0.0588*60000 = 3529

This lumpy-ass mystery creature has an arm about 3530 cm³ big. Weapons with a contact area of 3530 or more cover the entire limb and may sever it if they have the heft (and the 3530 penetration depth).

Add all the RELSIZE from limbs, lumps, features, organs, bits and bobs together and you can determine the exact size of anything. The standard dwarf's total RELSIZE is somewhere around 4700 or so.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5546 on: July 24, 2013, 04:12:26 pm »

-snip-

By the way, here's a valid log-making reaction for the smelter:
[REACTION:MAKE_LOGS]
  [NAME:spawn a log]
  [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
  [PRODUCT:100:1:LOG:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:WOOD:OAK]
Don't forget to add [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_LOGS] to all entities that should be able to do that.

Ummm... I don't think LOG is a valid item type. Try [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:OAK:WOOD]
Kinda had that really messed up lol

socks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: July 24, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »

Hi, I'm new to modding df. How can I make vampirism an effect of drinking something? I can't find anything in the raws or in the modding guide that helps.  :-\

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5548 on: July 24, 2013, 05:22:23 pm »

Hi, I'm new to modding df. How can I make vampirism an effect of drinking something? I can't find anything in the raws or in the modding guide that helps.  :-\
Gonna have to make your own, here is the interaction Example that comes with DF for vampire curses:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: July 24, 2013, 06:41:51 pm »

Ummm... I don't think LOG is a valid item type. Try [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:OAK:WOOD]
Kinda had that really messed up lol
Oops.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 544