Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002389 times)

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5580 on: July 26, 2013, 06:00:25 am »

What is the proper way to reanimate zombies so they won't immediately turn on you?  I have this interaction:

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:REANIMATE]
   [I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
   [I_TARGET:A:CORPSE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_ITEM]
      [IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
      [IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_ANIMATION]
      [IT_FORBIDDEN:NOT_LIVING]
      [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:corpses]
   [I_EFFECT:ANIMATE]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [IE_ARENA_NAME:Animated corpse]
      [SYNDROME]
         [CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:165:3:0:0:FREQUENCY:2000:1000:START:0]
         [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:300:1000:TOUGHNESS:300:1000:START:0]
         [CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:60:START:0]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
         [CE_REMOVE_TAG:HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:LIKES_FIGHTING:MISCHIEVOUS:START:0]

Now, whenever a creature uses this interaction, the zombie instantly starts attacking them.  I'm all but sure that's because of the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE tag, but when I added NOT_LIVING to the creature using the interaction it didn't make a difference.  It just leads to an infinite loop of killing things, reanimating them and killing them again.
Were you testing in the arena? It has weird ethics that tend to override other behaviours.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: July 26, 2013, 07:39:52 am »

Nope, this was in fort mode.  It may be due to something unrelated: in order to make sure the creature I wanted attacked me (it was a megabeast), I was forcing an invasion with DFHack, then transforming one of the invaders into said creature.  Literally everything else about it works (including all of its other interactions), but the zombies keep attacking it.  Maybe DF just doesn't apply the undead flag when transforming or something?

I'm willing to live with the zombies not actually having the undead tag, actually.  If I remove NOT_LIVING and OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, is there any way to make them attack unaffiliated things on sight, or is just being an invader good enough for that?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5582 on: July 26, 2013, 10:25:55 am »

Nope, this was in fort mode.  It may be due to something unrelated: in order to make sure the creature I wanted attacked me (it was a megabeast), I was forcing an invasion with DFHack, then transforming one of the invaders into said creature.  Literally everything else about it works (including all of its other interactions), but the zombies keep attacking it.  Maybe DF just doesn't apply the undead flag when transforming or something?

I'm willing to live with the zombies not actually having the undead tag, actually.  If I remove NOT_LIVING and OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, is there any way to make them attack unaffiliated things on sight, or is just being an invader good enough for that?

well you could have a creature that has CRAZED and you transform one invader or a creature into the "boss" version (caste) and that boss transforms others into the "minion" (caste) since they are all the same creature they won't attack each other, but will still kill everything else.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:21 am »

Using CRAZED is tempting, but it would require doing some strange stuff with the castes.  I might be able to finagle it to work, but I'd have to add castes to either the boss creature or the minions, and this is for an already running game.  The last time I added castes to an existing creature to an existing save some strange stuff happened (most of their blood turned pink or gray...).

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: July 27, 2013, 05:53:02 am »

Could someone please explain what the following mean?

SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE
MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE

The wiki explains them as "the secret can be learned by supernatural means" and "the secret can be researched by mundane means", respectively but I don't fully understand these definitions. Especially the latter-does it mean that the secret can be learnt through research in books containing the secret during worldgen? Because I have never seen that happen.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: July 27, 2013, 06:19:53 am »

I did some more testing:
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][WAGON_PULLER]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][PACK_ANIMAL]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][MOUNT]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][MOUNT_EXOTIC]

Don't work on their own, but if you add the [PET] tag these do work:

[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] alone makes [COMMON_DOMESTIC][PACK_ANIMAL][PET] selectable
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] alone makes [COMMON_DOMESTIC][WAGON_PULLER][PET] selectable
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT] alone makes [COMMON_DOMESTIC][MOUNT][PET] selectable

Interestingly this does work:
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM][UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:1]
[NO_SPRING][NO_SUMMER][NO_AUTUMN][NO_WINTER]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][PET]
only the civs with [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] have these as selectables while humans with [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET] ignore these creatures completely

Even more interestingly this also works as noted above only that it's not 100% of the time
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM][UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:1]
[NO_SPRING][NO_SUMMER][NO_AUTUMN][NO_WINTER]
[PET]

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: July 27, 2013, 09:31:35 am »

Could someone please explain what the following mean?

SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE
MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE

The wiki explains them as "the secret can be learned by supernatural means" and "the secret can be researched by mundane means", respectively but I don't fully understand these definitions. Especially the latter-does it mean that the secret can be learnt through research in books containing the secret during worldgen? Because I have never seen that happen.
I_SOURCE:SECRET means that this interaction is actually applied to random people in worldgen. The SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE and MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE define what the flavor text in worldgen is when this interaction is applied to a historical figure. MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE means that a teacher can apply the interaction to his disciples, and MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE means that someone with the secret can store it in a text, and any subsequent readers of this text have this interaction applied to themselves too.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: July 27, 2013, 01:07:56 pm »

SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE actually means that deities or creatures with the [SUPERNATURAL] token with the particular spheres associated with the secret can teach it to worshipers.

Quailman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: July 27, 2013, 07:36:04 pm »

My game crashes during the history section of world generation.  The errorlog is always totally empty after the game crashes.  I understand that this sort of thing is often an issue with very long histories, but I've only managed to get two worlds past year 200, and it often crashes around year 80, and sometimes as early as year 5.  This occurs regardless of the size of the world.

I know that it isn't an issue of RAM, as the Dwarf Fortress process never even exceeds a third of a gig of physical memory, according to the process manager.  It also occurs in exactly the same way if I cut down the world's population dramatically.

One time I got an "impoverished word selector" error, so I tried allowing every civilization to use any symbol for anything, but this didn't help.  I even disabled all overworld constructions and things like human cities that seem (to me, anyway) to be more complicated and intensive.

I just cant fathom what it is that is causing these crashes.  Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I added two civilizations, though removing either or both does not stop the game from crashing.  I also added a number of very small things like materials and custom weapons.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:38:44 pm by Quailman »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: July 27, 2013, 08:44:39 pm »

My game crashes during the history section of world generation.  The errorlog is always totally empty after the game crashes.  I understand that this sort of thing is often an issue with very long histories, but I've only managed to get two worlds past year 200, and it often crashes around year 80, and sometimes as early as year 5.  This occurs regardless of the size of the world.

I know that it isn't an issue of RAM, as the Dwarf Fortress process never even exceeds a third of a gig of physical memory, according to the process manager.  It also occurs in exactly the same way if I cut down the world's population dramatically.

One time I got an "impoverished word selector" error, so I tried allowing every civilization to use any symbol for anything, but this didn't help.  I even disabled all overworld constructions and things like human cities that seem (to me, anyway) to be more complicated and intensive.

I just cant fathom what it is that is causing these crashes.  Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I added two civilizations, though removing either or both does not stop the game from crashing.  I also added a number of very small things like materials and custom weapons.
I guess it would help if you posted what you changed, otherwise we can't diagnose it. If it still crashes when you remove the civs, it must be something else. Post all your very small changes, please.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: July 27, 2013, 09:10:53 pm »

Did you add or change any megabeasts?  I once had an annoying worldgen crash bug related to not giving a megabeast the lair tag.  I still can't believe that's what was causing the crashes, but it was consistent.

Unrelated, I'm still at a loss on how to reanimate things properly in fort mode.  Do any other mods have an example of this that works?  No combination of adding or removing tags like NOT_LIVING or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE on the caster or interaction seems to make any difference, so I think I just need to look at a version someone has worked out already.

Quailman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:37 pm »

Yeah, in retrospect that last post of mine was very poorly formulated.  I guess I was kind of fishing for information on whether there is anything inherent or easily screwed up in the process of adding civilizations that would cause the game to crash.  But I don't really see why I expected that to be true because I already tested the world with the new civilizations removed.

I think I need to get some sleep before I continue looking into this...

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: July 28, 2013, 04:00:33 am »

Hey Modders, I have a quick question.

I'm trying to mod two giant creatures, Giant Rattlesnakes and Giant Thrips, to breed. Or lay eggs.

I've never tried tinkering with giant creatures before some i'm wondering if slapping egglayer or child will be sufficent to get a breeding population going? I'm thinking the thrips may be more difficult to fix than the rattlesnakes so any advice on that would be awesome.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:41:46 am by Geneoce »
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: July 28, 2013, 04:09:17 am »

By the way, it's [CHILD:X] if you don't want the formatting to mess you up.

Anyway, both, yeah. Neither should be more difficult than the other. You'll need a male and female caste, but both have anyway.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: July 28, 2013, 04:14:59 am »

words

Thanks for the quick response Putnam.

I'm assuming the offspring for the thrips to be fully grown? Rattlesnakes have the child/adolecent stage so I assume that should be fine on there end. If so will adding some body size tags revert the age of my current thrips?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:17:20 am by Geneoce »
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 544