Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002133 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7005 on: January 14, 2014, 08:13:17 pm »

Yeah, you'll want BY_TOKEN there.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: January 15, 2014, 12:31:37 am »

I'm slowly getting back into modding, and well, trying to find a way to make the aboveground more appealing... and one way suggested by a friend is, is there a way to add a penalty to being underground for a long time? We have cave adaption which makes it so being aboveground is bad for mood, but is there a way to do that for underground? I'm wary of going the Kobold Camp route, and just making digging really hard since I like my settlements made of stone or solid gold...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: January 15, 2014, 12:37:15 am »

Yes. CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT:X under a syndrome effect, where X is a number between 0 and 100. The number goes up the longer they stay underground.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: January 15, 2014, 10:12:41 am »

Yes. CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT:X under a syndrome effect, where X is a number between 0 and 100. The number goes up the longer they stay underground.

Will that generate an unhappy thought for being underground for a long time though? As I recall, cave adaptation makes an unhappy thought for going aboveground. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: January 15, 2014, 10:17:33 am »

Will that generate an unhappy thought for being underground for a long time though? As I recall, cave adaptation makes an unhappy thought for going aboveground. Sorry if this is a silly question.

You can't make thoughts without DFHack. You could make them nauseous, dizzy, fall unconcious every so often, and other things that can affect productivity and combat.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: January 15, 2014, 10:19:36 am »

Recently started poking around in the raws a bit and was curious as to whether the various hauling/burial/cleaning/feeding/etc labors can be assigned ranks for the purposes of tying professions to them? 

From what I could tell these labors do not appear to gain xp on their own from being used which might let them be used as placeholders for additional profession tiles.  May not be at all possible and it would likely break something horribly, but I figured it might be a way to make a few more tiles available for civ members.

Not saying we need janitors and grave diggers, but given the number of caskets, vomit piles and bloody messes I tend to go through they might actually be appropriate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:47 am »

Profession tiles rely entirely on XP, so no.

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: January 15, 2014, 10:45:52 am »

Profession tiles rely entirely on XP, so no.

I meant to try and force an xp value upon them via reaction/syndrome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: January 15, 2014, 10:47:54 am »

XP only exists for things that already have them. Impossible.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7014 on: January 15, 2014, 10:55:55 am »

They are only skills, they are no labors. Only labors have professions. And thats it. Even if a dwarf is 15+ in lying, you wont see his profession as "Liar", but as "Peasant".
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: January 15, 2014, 04:03:27 pm »

I'm currently working on a new creature to add on to my homestuck fortress. Specifically, I am working on creating lusii with different body plans that are completely random. So far I have a very basic layout with the most simple of possible body plans, and I have a few questions to ask before I get elbow deep in the mess that is caste building.

Right now I have five castes: Quadraped, biped, avian, serpentine, and insectoid. These seem simple enough to define, but I was wondering if it was possible to place sub-castes within these for variations? Say for the insectoid caste I wanted some creatures to have six legs and some to have eight, exactly how would I go about that?

Another question I have is how to allow each caste to have different sizes of creatures (say small, medium, and large). Is this possible at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:48 pm »

Very easily. See my Homestuck mod for some examples of what you can do with castes. Basically, there's not much that you can't do in castes. There are no caste-level materials or tissues, but pretty much everything else is fair game.

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:39 pm »

What do you mean by no caste level materials? Does that mean that... when I define two sub-castes in the quadruped caste, I cannot make a hoofed caste and a caste with paws? Or do I have to place these material plans outside of the castes?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: January 15, 2014, 04:57:45 pm »

Those are body parts, not materials. The hooves can easily be defined and be usable. The only time materials not being caste-level can be come problematic is when you want, say, a magma-proof caste.

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: January 15, 2014, 05:13:17 pm »

So would this be the correct way to define a caste?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 544