Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002249 times)

Arowhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7185 on: February 11, 2014, 10:38:50 pm »

I've been watching some BBC earth vids, and I came up with an idea for a mod. Basically, all vanilla creatures are removed and replaced with insects. The civs would comprise of ant colonies, termite colonies, bee colonies, and other colonizing insects.

I'm wondering if its possible to make a special "queen" bug that rules each colony, and acts as the only part of the colony that produces offspring. I plan on making the lifespan of the lower classed "worker" bugs very short (maybe 2 years and they drop dead), so its necessary to keep the queen reproducing to keep the colony running. Migrants should stop after the first two waves, if possible. If the queen dies, the fort should die soon afterwards because the population should quickly drop.

Oh yeah, and I'd also like the bugs to have no emotions, so they get no tantrum spirals. The idea is that they are mindless bugs, and are more than willing to give up their lives for the greater good of their colony, like bugs are in real life. They should feel no pain too.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:44:00 pm by Arowhun »
Another important reason is graphics: Toady is running out of letters.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: February 12, 2014, 01:05:10 am »

No emotions and no pain is easy. Guaranteeing that you start with the queen and can't get another might be harder. Maybe you could try making a syndrome that turns a regular unit into the queen unit caste and set her pop ratio to 0, but then only your fortress would end up having one, I'd think. I also don't know how you'd keep players from just repeating this process if they lost their queen, but maybe someone else has an idea.

Does anyone know if it's possible to mess around with the Evil zone's weather affects either by removing them and replacing them with different ones or giving certain creatures immunities to them entirely (preferably the former)?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7187 on: February 12, 2014, 01:23:31 am »

Yeah, you can add your own regional effects, for Evil zones and otherwise, and set the randomly generated ones to 0 in advanced world gen.

A transformation syndrome that changes one of your workers into a very rare caste is the most effective way I know to get a single queen.  Might want to give that caste the PET token, so she doesn't have to be married to provide your fort with all its kids.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: February 12, 2014, 01:19:02 pm »

I'm unsure whether this is the right place to ask this, so please excuse me if the question is off-topic.

If I were to create items made of a creature's blood using a reaction or the createitem script, is there anything I can manually do with gm-editor or similar to prevent the frozen blood item from melting into a pool of blood, without messing around with the creature's raws?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7189 on: February 12, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »

I'm unsure whether this is the right place to ask this, so please excuse me if the question is off-topic.

If I were to create items made of a creature's blood using a reaction or the createitem script, is there anything I can manually do with gm-editor or similar to prevent the frozen blood item from melting into a pool of blood, without messing around with the creature's raws?
No, but you can give the creature a second material, called also blood, which is solid be default. You make a material template, for example SOLID_BLOOD, which is a copy of blood but with different melting point, and use this for your items. The player ingame will never see the difference.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: February 12, 2014, 04:18:43 pm »

What would I set the desired Evil/Good square counts to in adv world gen if I wanted roughly the same evil, good and neutral biomes?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: February 12, 2014, 04:29:59 pm »

Depends on your map size and biome variance, which controls the ratios of small/medium/large biomes. If the default worldgen counts are accurately distributed, you can just take the six values and scale them equally until their sum is 2/3 of the total map square count (for example 17x17 for pocket worlds).

hanspeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: February 12, 2014, 06:34:00 pm »

Is there a way to reduce the chance of motor/sensory nerves being severed or, if not, is there a way to make them heal? [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NERVE_TEMPLATE] is not motor/sensory, so it doesn't work.

I'm tired of every dwarf who ever got within 30 tiles of a hostile losing the use of legs and arms forever, with a 100% chance of all nerves being severed (at least that's what it feels like) when the hostile as much as sneezes.
I'm not against dwarves losing the use of their limbs. It's just way too often.

In a related question: How would I go about making dwarves lose eyes, ears, teeth, nose, fingers, toes etc. more often instead of the whole limb in one go? I like my dwarves battlescarred, but still useful.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:06 pm »

For the dwarves, you could remove the dwarves' [HAS_NERVES] tag. AFAIK there is no other way of having dwarves get less nerve damage without making them tougher in other ways.

And to make the dwarves lose specific bodyparts more often, you could try making them larger, for example like this: [RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:10]
Another option you could try is to remove the [SMALL] tags on the dwarves' bodyparts.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7194 on: February 12, 2014, 08:55:44 pm »

Is there a way to reduce the chance of motor/sensory nerves being severed or, if not, is there a way to make them heal? [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NERVE_TEMPLATE] is not motor/sensory, so it doesn't work.

I'm tired of every dwarf who ever got within 30 tiles of a hostile losing the use of legs and arms forever, with a 100% chance of all nerves being severed (at least that's what it feels like) when the hostile as much as sneezes.
I'm not against dwarves losing the use of their limbs. It's just way too often.

In a related question: How would I go about making dwarves lose eyes, ears, teeth, nose, fingers, toes etc. more often instead of the whole limb in one go? I like my dwarves battlescarred, but still useful.

Like MagmaMcFry said make the little limbs bigger and remove the SMALL (however removing SMALL will let them show up on the v>w menu (instead of only when damaged))

As for the nerves I'd just remove [HAS_NERVES] since having any MUSCULAR(muscle) tissue that is torn/cut in a LIMB,GRASP,STANCE,JOINT body part will cripple it and any CONNECTIVE_TISSUE_ANCHOR(bones/exoskeleton) that is broken will also cripple the "LGSJ"s and if you are at it I'd remove [SETTABLE] from bone tissues too just so they need a splint to heal instead of the odd time that a traction bench is needed (due to a current bug that I hope toady has fixed for the next version, dwarves get put in traction, but never get taken out even if healed)

hanspeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:20 am »

Thank you both for your answers. I think I got it, just need to play around with the numbers a bit until it fits me.

As for the nerves I'd just remove [HAS_NERVES] since having any MUSCULAR(muscle) tissue that is torn/cut in a LIMB,GRASP,STANCE,JOINT body part will cripple it and any CONNECTIVE_TISSUE_ANCHOR(bones/exoskeleton) that is broken will also cripple the "LGSJ"s

So it should be possible to remove [HAS_NERVES], create "fake nerves", with a tiny relsize that never heal and add them next to the bone in order to recreate the [HAS_NERVES] tag, just with a very low relsize, shouldn't it?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7196 on: February 13, 2014, 12:32:37 pm »

Thank you both for your answers. I think I got it, just need to play around with the numbers a bit until it fits me.

As for the nerves I'd just remove [HAS_NERVES] since having any MUSCULAR(muscle) tissue that is torn/cut in a LIMB,GRASP,STANCE,JOINT body part will cripple it and any CONNECTIVE_TISSUE_ANCHOR(bones/exoskeleton) that is broken will also cripple the "LGSJ"s

So it should be possible to remove [HAS_NERVES], create "fake nerves", with a tiny relsize that never heal and add them next to the bone in order to recreate the [HAS_NERVES] tag, just with a very low relsize, shouldn't it?

You can add the fake nerves as [SMALL][INTERNAL][NERVOUS] body parts and layer them with a [FUNCTIONAL] tissue named "tissue" or just a tissue layer. Personally both are a bit over the top but would recommend the bodypart  method, because combat logs would show:

"The goblin slashes the dwarf in the upper arm tearing the muscle and tearing the upper arm's nerves tissue" have to play with naming a bit but that would be how it would go in theory.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: February 13, 2014, 02:28:08 pm »

No, but you can give the creature a second material, called also blood, which is solid be default. You make a material template, for example SOLID_BLOOD, which is a copy of blood but with different melting point, and use this for your items. The player ingame will never see the difference.
Thanks Meph :)
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: February 13, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »

So, I'm rewriting my spellcrafts mod's secrets and spells, and I've run into a conundrum with trying to add some form of "aeromancer" as one of the elemental disciplines.

Spoiler: What I have tried (click to show/hide)

Does anyone have any idea how to make a plausible "air mage?"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: February 13, 2014, 04:43:40 pm »

[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLAS:class]
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 544