Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002252 times)

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7515 on: April 12, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »

I gotta ask: can you create a creature that takes the shape of a dwarf and then migrates to your fortress, causing havoc by occasionally killing one of your dwarves? I don't mean a vampire or a werebeast here: I mean something more along the likes of a Mimic or Masterwork's Warlock Spy.

This is because I want to make a mod filled with a bunch of infiltrating baddies that can destroy your fortress from the inside (well, hasten the process, anyway).
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: April 12, 2014, 02:22:53 pm »

You can't get them to behave and be controllable like dwarves unless they actually are dwarves. What you can do is make some syndromes with [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:<...>:CAN_BE_HIDDEN] and [CE_DISPLAY_TILE:<...>:CAN_BE_HIDDEN] that only affect dwarves via interactions during worldgen and cause them to act like those evil infiltrators.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: April 12, 2014, 02:35:06 pm »

So, a syndrome that turns the Dwarf into, say, some sort of mimic creature? Then it'd be no different from, say, a werebeast or vampire. Unless it could take on the victim's identity or something like that.

Hmm. This is tougher than I thought.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7518 on: April 12, 2014, 04:21:49 pm »

So, a syndrome that turns the Dwarf into, say, some sort of mimic creature? Then it'd be no different from, say, a werebeast or vampire. Unless it could take on the victim's identity or something like that.

Hmm. This is tougher than I thought.
I have a dozen of these in my mod. Possessed dwarves that turn into demons, werebeasts, spies, hidden necromancers and a cult leader that slowly converts your citizens. And you need to pray at temples or get priests to find them. To either cure or kill them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: April 12, 2014, 06:26:01 pm »

I am an idiot (and proud :D) and have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to make a humanoid with crab pincers instead of hands. I suspect the answer is simple. (hopefully)

edit: nevermind I figured it out.
(I have never facepalmed so hard before in my entire life xD)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:32:33 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: April 13, 2014, 03:13:01 am »

I have a dozen of these in my mod. Possessed dwarves that turn into demons, werebeasts, spies, hidden necromancers and a cult leader that slowly converts your citizens. And you need to pray at temples or get priests to find them. To either cure or kill them.

I thought as much. Masterwork has everything after all. :D

You wouldn't mind lending me the code for those infiltrators, would you? Or at least the ones not reliant on DFHack. I'll credit you in the mod, of course.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7521 on: April 13, 2014, 07:02:40 am »

no dfhack needed. Open creature standart.txt and look for the word SECRET. its all in the castes. you just have to look at the fitting interactions as well; you will probably get the basics behind it quickly. Its not hard to make.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #7522 on: April 13, 2014, 10:09:33 am »

Time to ask something...

Let's say I have something akin to bronze colussus, being made from metal. Sure, not hard. However instead of something made from one tissue layer I want multiple tissue layers and not even from same material necessary. Like something having outer layer bronze but under it is steel and under this steel is boiling nerve gas. Gives much more fun for me to mod.

Also, any good way to add some kind of coolant fluid? Something which keeps thing cool even if submerged into magma but if it leaks out it is time to core meltdown. Not immediately, but over time if there is enough heat...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: April 13, 2014, 11:30:52 am »

For the first question you want to check out the iron man raws. They have a layer of iron with a layer of gas underneath.

I don't think you can do the second thing.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: April 13, 2014, 02:56:54 pm »

no dfhack needed. Open creature standart.txt and look for the word SECRET. its all in the castes. you just have to look at the fitting interactions as well; you will probably get the basics behind it quickly. Its not hard to make.

OK, so I looked over the raws at the wiki, and I noticed that cultists are their own caste. Could I make cultists and infiltrators work by making them a curse gained from desecrating a temple? I'll repackage it as the dwarf making a gesture of rejection towards the gods and worshiping the "Abyss".

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: April 13, 2014, 05:21:13 pm »

I am trying to clean up and remove redundant files from a particular creature I made.

Right now I have a creature that has a blade for an arm made from INORGANIC:RBONE and the bones of its body made from BONE:RBONE_TEMPLATE. Both materials have identical values but are split into inorganic_creature.txt and material_template_creature.txt respectively. 

Is there any way to change this to use the material_template file instead of inorganic_creature?

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:RBONE_TEMPLATE]

[TISSUE:BLADEARM]
[TISSUE_NAME:bone:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:RBONE]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BLADEARM:BLADEARM]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:23:26 pm by lanp »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: April 13, 2014, 05:23:16 pm »

Replace INORGANIC:RBONE with LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: April 13, 2014, 05:25:28 pm »

Replace INORGANIC:RBONE with LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE
Ha, I almost wish it weren't so simple. Thanks for the info and the really quick reply.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: April 13, 2014, 08:57:08 pm »

Time to ask something...

Let's say I have something akin to bronze colussus, being made from metal. Sure, not hard. However instead of something made from one tissue layer I want multiple tissue layers and not even from same material necessary. Like something having outer layer bronze but under it is steel and under this steel is boiling nerve gas. Gives much more fun for me to mod.

Also, any good way to add some kind of coolant fluid? Something which keeps thing cool even if submerged into magma but if it leaks out it is time to core meltdown. Not immediately, but over time if there is enough heat...
For the second one, have the inner layer take heat damage at room temperature, with the next tissue layer up (coolant) tagged with a fixed temperature low enough to keep the core safe.  Not sure if that will work as intuitively as it sounds.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: April 13, 2014, 09:27:45 pm »

I'm plodding away on my "The Earth Strikes Back" mod, and I've run into two really odd problems.

First, the 'awakened stone' creature itself is never supposed to appear in the wild (only appearing in response to specific Dwarf actions), but I can't get it to appear in the arena at all.  Anyone have an idea what's wrong with it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nothing shows up in the error log, which has stymied my attempts at troubleshooting.

I'm also disappointed that I can't place a miner with a pick in the arena.  That's the fight I want to play-balance.

The second problem is creating two materials that mimic each layer stone.  One is a 'hidden gem' that looks like stone but drops value-40 gems.  The other is 'living stone' that boils away immediately upon being mined.  A future step is to give that gas a syndrome that quasi-summons the awakened stone creature above.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of that worked like a champ, but I noticed that the tiles in MY raw files don't match the ones in the wiki or a plain-vanilla copy of DF.  I've always used the Lazy Newb Pack and didn't realize it altered tiles like that.  I have no problem making two versions, but could someone tell me what component of LNP made the changes to I can advise any future downloaders of the mod?

(Note that the living stone and the hidden gems do crowd out typical minerals to some degree.  The hidden gems are there to balance out the added danger posed by living stone, so I made all of them value 40.  This pulls up the aggregate value of mining.)

Thanks.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 544