Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3750186 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6645 on: May 31, 2013, 02:48:25 pm »

I hope that, in the future, we shall be able to track down crocodiles that maul our master armorsmiths and exact revenge in adventure mode.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: May 31, 2013, 06:38:57 pm »

I hope that, in the future, we shall be able to track down crocodiles that maul our master armorsmiths and exact revenge in adventure mode.
Hear, hear!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: May 31, 2013, 09:02:20 pm »

Hear, hear!

I'm hoping that'll be something we can do once we can send raiding parties out. Nuts to the goblins, I want to go all Moby Dick on the wildlife! There's potential there for hunters and beastmasters and the like, too.

Cheers for Toady answers!

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: May 31, 2013, 09:47:06 pm »

Is dwarves leaving your fortress on the dev horizon? It makes sense for them to decide to either pack up and go, or to tantrum spiral (maybe based on if they're married/have children, dedication to their job, personality traits)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: June 01, 2013, 12:11:39 am »

Is dwarves leaving your fortress on the dev horizon? It makes sense for them to decide to either pack up and go, or to tantrum spiral (maybe based on if they're married/have children, dedication to their job, personality traits)

ToadyOne has spoken about that from time to time. From either their own agency, or starting a new Fort from your own. Its tied to various future DF features.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: June 01, 2013, 05:10:05 pm »

It would be cool if unhappy dwarves left sometimes, instead of staying around to cause trouble. Perhaps they could get a very bad thought of "prevented from leaving lately."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: June 01, 2013, 05:37:43 pm »

Sad to hear about some of the unique graphics concerns for certain screens, but I wasn't too concerned about that. However, it seems Toady skipped my line about adding horizontal and vertical flip and rotation attributes to tiles to reduce space used by tiles that are basically duplicates. :(

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: June 01, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »

Thanks for the answers!

We're still waiting for the June report, but it looks like there's not much to do... besides fixing trees, kobold caves (or has that been put off?), and whatever else there is.......

Interesting to see there's a lot of stuff "I'm not sure whether dwarves do that, its in the old code". Has Dwarf Fortress become a swamp even for the programmer to quest about in?  8) 8) 8) 8)
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: June 01, 2013, 07:06:49 pm »

If the "20% of the list" number is to set the trend, then the game is due to come out in late September...

This is consistent with his latest estimate of "some months in the future" at the beginning of the month. It is not consistent with 2 months, working 14 hours a day, which he also said as an estimate around the same time.

EDIT: Actually, if Toady did 20% of the remaining work, estimated at 2 months of 14 hour days, in 30 days, that works out to 5.5 hours a day or 39 hours a week this month. Which is exactly how much time you'd expect Toady to put into a full time job. So that's consistent with a late September release too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:05:40 pm by King Mir »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: June 01, 2013, 08:26:47 pm »

Except that programming doesn't really work that way? He's gone through 20% of his list, but it's highly doubtful each item on the list takes the same amount of time to cross off. The next item on his list might stall him for a full week, or he might rip through half the list in that same amount of time if it's all closely related and easily finished.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: June 01, 2013, 08:50:15 pm »

Yeah it's a rough data point. But it's a data point.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: June 01, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »

Exactly as Monk12 has said.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: June 01, 2013, 10:54:49 pm »

With the addition of jumping, will invaders now be able to leap over a 1 z-level walls? Can they climb on rough walls?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: June 01, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »

If so, all the more reason to make a roof.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: June 01, 2013, 11:47:52 pm »

Right now, combat physics don't seem to account for some things. For example, it doesn't seem that the skull round shape mitigates the effects of impacts it suffers as it happens IRL. As a consequence, we have strange things like dwarfs breaking each other skulls with punchs and a lot of skull breaking in general. The same thing can somewhat be applied to arrows vs armor, they don't seem to account the armor shape in impact. Since we had a combat overhaul, does this theorized unintended deficiency (bug? I don't know a better word for it) stills stands, it's somewhat better or it's completely removed? If it's not and I'm right about this, do you plan to do something about it in the future?

Simple example, not mine, of someone breaking a skull after being thrown by the thumb.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:53:01 pm by arkhometha »
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 748