Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287264 times)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »

It is more than enough, thank you. Did it take many rejections to generate this world?

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:20 pm »

I know I'm not one to request, but this is my first time and I have a challenge. A mountain/forest high evil area with magma and a sedimentary layer + flux (limestone or marble.)

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »

I'm trying to put together an animal training shallow fort.

Problem is, most of my gens generally give me single biome embarks, or embarks with no surface water.

My dream embark would be 3x3 or 4x4, Mountain and the Broadleaf Forest, both Untamed/Joyous Wilds (Joyous preferred) with a freshwater stream or lake, shallow metals (preferably gold or galena) and a Volcano.

Flux and iron nice by not necessary

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2012, 07:25:45 pm »

It is more than enough, thank you. Did it take many rejections to generate this world?
No, not at all. it's sort of an ... artificial world though.  It's basically taking advantage of the "ocean edge" features of the map. Due to that, the game won't put both the end of a river and the waterfall on the same region.  The outside edge river is treated entirely different, and doesn't actually empty into the ocean.  It's like the base of the waterfall is seen as the other end of a second river that starts at the oceans edge.  I'm sure there's a good reason it was done this way, but it prevents getting what you want, easily.

While this behavior is unusual, on each map generated with that worldgen (without the seeds) there is at least one waterfall that has the very edge of the ocean with it.  The interior (non edge) of the map is just a big lake/river source to erode back towards.  By adjusting the minimum elevation (currently at 270) the edge will retreat towards the center.  This sounds like it would be great, but it isn't, because then you lose access to the ocean.  So it's a balance between where the worldgen engine defines as the edge, and where the desirable embark would be.  With the way it is now, at least 10 rivers per world empty off the edges, whereas with minimum elevation at 390, you get 3 or 4 at best, although the rivers are typically much larger.

I've tried using the meshes and other settings to get  basically a "tophat sitting in a lake" type of world, but there's no having it, the edges are always beveled.  This was the only way I could do it reliably.

Here's the worldgen for those.  I'm going to try another approach, but this will make more of the one you liked, with no rejections, so you can build and scan them quickly for minerals etc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »

I'm trying to put together an animal training shallow fort.

Problem is, most of my gens generally give me single biome embarks, or embarks with no surface water.

My dream embark would be 3x3 or 4x4, Mountain and the Broadleaf Forest, both Untamed/Joyous Wilds (Joyous preferred) with a freshwater stream or lake, shallow metals (preferably gold or galena) and a Volcano.

Flux and iron nice by not necessary
Everything but flux and iron...
21 sun berries!  Nice!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2012, 08:51:51 pm »

I know I'm not one to request, but this is my first time and I have a challenge. A mountain/forest high evil area with magma and a sedimentary layer + flux (limestone or marble.)

This one matches, unless you meant you want iron bearing ore, as well?  If so, remove the seeds and you can search to your hearts content. :)

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:25 pm »

... Sounds great to me, thanks!

Alrighty then!  This one below is a bit different than the original one I found, I was tweaking things to get larger regions adjacent rather than small regions adjacent. 

Thanks again, vjek. I'm about to embark now. Must have taken a while to find a place like this! It looks like it'll be interesting... I'll report back if I survive lol.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »

A quick question, does anybody know what factors affect the openness of the caverns? I'm kinda sick of finding ones that have some open spots, but look mostly like someone heaved spaghetti at a wall.

Second question... Every time I've encountered a volcano, it's either been a magma tower or a ridiculously steep mountain. Does anybody have a seed for a world with slightly gentler slopes on their volcanoes?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2012, 09:58:45 pm »

A quick question, does anybody know what factors affect the openness of the caverns? I'm kinda sick of finding ones that have some open spots, but look mostly like someone heaved spaghetti at a wall. ...

The parameters are:

Cavern Layer Openness Min (anywhere from 10-100)
and
Cavern Layer Openness Max (anywhere from 15-100)

while setting
Cavern Layer Passage Density Min to zero
and
Cavern Layer Passage Density Max to zero

Will get you your classic "caves" without any narrow hallways.

Also, reducing your min/max cavern water to 10/15 can improve FPS by not having a gajillion tiles all as water sources down there.  It needs to be higher than 10 or your dwarves won't be able to farm as a civilization, resulting in "Placed farming entity without crops" as a map rejection.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:33 pm »

The beautiful. Thanks, vjek!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2012, 10:36:22 pm »

Thanks Vjek! That's exactly what I was looking for.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:32 pm »

A quick question, does anybody know what factors affect the openness of the caverns? I'm kinda sick of finding ones that have some open spots, but look mostly like someone heaved spaghetti at a wall. ...

The parameters are:

Cavern Layer Openness Min (anywhere from 10-100)
and
Cavern Layer Openness Max (anywhere from 15-100)

while setting
Cavern Layer Passage Density Min to zero
and
Cavern Layer Passage Density Max to zero

Will get you your classic "caves" without any narrow hallways.

Also, reducing your min/max cavern water to 10/15 can improve FPS by not having a gajillion tiles all as water sources down there.  It needs to be higher than 10 or your dwarves won't be able to farm as a civilization, resulting in "Placed farming entity without crops" as a map rejection.

I favor these settings:

Code: [Select]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:65]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:30]

Gives me somewhat open caves with a mix of narrow passages.  I don't really like huge open voids beneath my embarks, but lots of narrow passages are a pain to deal with.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Morrolan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2012, 05:40:32 am »

What is SECRET_NUMBER token?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2012, 01:41:06 pm »

What variables should I change to get lots of major rivers with deep canyons and many small freshwater lakes?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2012, 02:51:57 pm »

What is SECRET_NUMBER token?
This determines, as far as I can tell, how many secrets books there are in the world.  Currently, I believe the only types are necromancy, so basically if you want a a lot of necromancers, crank this up and generate a world with a long history.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62