Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286325 times)

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2012, 10:36:00 am »

This one looks really excellent, but it always weirds me out to built on top of ground. Dwarves should build into the side of a mountains...its simply the way.

Was thinking you could build a staircase going down the cliff, overhanging the river, then have your main entrance in the cliff halfway down. You would have to decide what you were going to do with the trade depot, leave it on the surface or try to make it go down the cliff too.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2012, 07:38:21 am »

Well give us the seed!!

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:28 am »

@WJLIII3 sorry, didn't want to spam the topic if nobody was interested  ;D

it's actually the same seed as the one I posted before:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At this location:

Is there really no way of giving coordinates? Be good if it showed just an X,Y on the embark screen even for my own purposes when looking at embarks. While I'm on the topic IsoWorld could use the same feature, ever tried to find a spot you found in IsoWorld in DF? Can be pretty tricky on just a medium sized world.

If anybody is interested here is a preview of my map pack, 5 random medium maps in my style with different flavours in one handy pack. Going to do a bit more play testing before I do a big post but any feedback would be appreciated:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:33:41 am by SAFry »

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »

More seeds that reliably produce certain kinds of worlds are always welcome here; everyone has different tastes and needs, and the more we have in the cookbook, the more we have to draw upon as a community (with a bonus that we increase our understanding of what alterations to the seeds create which results, allowing us to make better customized worlds).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 24, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »

Is there really no way of giving coordinates? Be good if it showed just an X,Y on the embark screen even for my own purposes when looking at embarks. While I'm on the topic IsoWorld could use the same feature, ever tried to find a spot you found in IsoWorld in DF? Can be pretty tricky on just a medium sized world.

Yeah it is.  I usually go to the mouth of a river and backtrack along it to help me find spots that are in the middle of nowhere.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2012, 11:12:04 am »

In case anyone is interested and for future reference I'm doing some worldgen research here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112132.0

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2012, 05:27:32 pm »

Would anybody be interested in this sort of thing:

It's a challenging 3x3 haunted shrubland embark with 3 pretty much identical biomes. The main feature is that you start on a hill one edge of which has a 17 z-level sheer unclimbable drop down to a huge crocodile infested river completely bisecting the map. Also as you can see on the opposite side of the chasm is a 2nd river which turns into a nice waterfall. Looks like something out of Temple of Doom!

Here is the view in stonesense:

It might be fun as any sieges may well turn up on the other side of the chasm, it would take some dwarfy engineering to build a drawbridge across.

Looks to be plenty of minerals but no magma until you hit the bottom, still the 2nd cavern level has a lot of floorspace so you could get a load of fungiwood in. It has gypsum, clay, sand and a large marble layer.

Was this genned in .11? I can't seem to find the site. Anyway, I'm looking for towering volcanoes, now.

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2012, 05:43:15 pm »

@WJLIII3 aww sorry, I was still on 34.10 at the time as the DFHack update for 34.11 wasn't out at the time. I just tried it with 34.11 and it looks different, similar but not the same. Might have been because I was also using Masterwork mod which I did mention but I didn't realise at the time it might change the world gen.

In future I will use vanilla when posting here to ensure they can be reproduced.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »

Quick question, is there a specific advanced world gen setting that makes the evil weather effects? I know there are "Number of Evil Cloud Types" and "Number of Evil Rain Types" but so far on all the worlds I've generated, there aren't any evil weather effects, on ANY of the evil biomes I've checked. I've set those variables to between 10 and 30 types each, and have not seen a single evil weather effect.

Seed parameters are

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:34 pm »

Quick question, is there a specific advanced world gen setting that makes the evil weather effects? I know there are "Number of Evil Cloud Types" and "Number of Evil Rain Types" but so far on all the worlds I've generated, there aren't any evil weather effects, on ANY of the evil biomes I've checked. I've set those variables to between 10 and 30 types each, and have not seen a single evil weather effect.
Set:
Number of Regional Interaction Types to 1000
Number of Evil Cloud Types to 1000
Number of Evil Rain Types to 1000

And you'll get evil weather on any/all evil biome(s).   Within seconds of embarking, in my experience.
Fair warning, though, constantly raining blood/sludge/mucus can be a killer on the FPS!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:12 pm »

THIS is the most badass site I have ever genned:

Good, neutral, AND evil, ALL savage, all on the same 4x4 embark.  And if pitting fluffy wamblers against giant desert scorpions against whatever horrors that forest of doom will vomit up is not enough, well, just check out the prospector report:

That's right: 11k coal, 3 types of flux, magnetite and limonite.  Surface steel.  Oh, and toss on 3 types of sand, fire clay, and gypsum.  Lots of copper and gold, with a nice amount of silver from that tetra and galena.  If that wasn't awesome enough, there's a nice big candy cane poking up into cavern 3 that goes down pretty deep before it gets hollow.  Big aquifer under the evil and neutral parts, but there should be enough space to dig down to the northwest.  Only real flaw is there's no diamonds in that kimberlite.

Now, I found this in a world I genned up with 34.10 (actually the original was 34.05 but I like this seed).  I genned it again in 34.11 to make sure it genned the same.  It did (the ASCII embark was taken from 34.11).

And just to make things more !!FUN!!, the game spawned some undead ravens right as I embarked.

Oh yeah.  You guys want the seed.   :P

Have fun with Armok's playground.
:'D Armok bless you good sir.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or the game simply ignores my settings and pulls out random stuff.

I'd like a not too deep world. No more than 60 z-levels between the surface and the magma sea. Two or three cavern layers, I don't care, but they need to be shallow (2-3 levels max) and open.

Right now I'm setting it to:
two layers (ok)
minimum value above the first layer (totally random, I got anything between 6 and 60 levels above the first cavern with the same settings)
minimum value between cavern layers (this seems to be working)
max openness and min passages (ok)
cave min size 1 and max size 2 (this is random - I don't get huge caverns but the max value is ignored, up to 7-8 levels)

I don't know if the depth of the magma sea is constant across an entire world.
If not, I need it to be shallow on an ocean site, untamed wilds.

To sum it up:
- EDIT: medium world, don't care if region or island. If region, 2 ocean sides
- entire world with shallow magma sea (no more than 60 z-levels below the surface)
- two or three cavern layers, open and shallow (3 z-levels max), min water 20
- mineral scarcity 5-600

If entire world with shallow magma sea isn't possible, I'd like:
- untamed wild ocean site with shallow magma sea
- caverns as above
- decent amount of metals (iron and some shiny stuff, not necessarily gold)
- flux not required, everything else optional

I'll keep trying, but this thing is making me rage.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:02:26 pm by Ai Shizuka »

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2012, 01:49:12 am »

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or the game simply ignores my settings and pulls out random stuff.

Have you disabled the rejection parameters? Otherwise it will keep rerolling your world until it find one that fits the original parameters.

Then I would try turning on the weighted elevation mesh and pumping up the lower ranges. Working on the idea that there is a 'sea level', the caverns are a certain level below this then the elevation of your embark is on top of that.

You might be able to use my quagmire map recipe from my map pack posted previously as a starting point if you don't mind volcanoes and megafauna.

rdhghd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2012, 02:02:54 am »

EPIC canyon.  When the embark screen says major river, it's not shitting around.  It's a monster river that's nearly the width of an entire embark square (47 tiles wide) at the bottom of a 30 z-level deep canyon with sheer cliffs straight down.  Up at the very top, there's also a stream that empties into the river, so when the water thaws, there's going to be one hell of a waterfall here.  As you can see from the IsoWorld screenshot, this river has created a huge canyon across the land.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:35 am »

Have you disabled the rejection parameters? Otherwise it will keep rerolling your world until it find one that fits the original parameters.

Then I would try turning on the weighted elevation mesh and pumping up the lower ranges. Working on the idea that there is a 'sea level', the caverns are a certain level below this then the elevation of your embark is on top of that.

You might be able to use my quagmire map recipe from my map pack posted previously as a starting point if you don't mind volcanoes and megafauna.

Thanks for the input.

I searched ocean sites only, so I don't think elevation settings are going to change my results. I'm already starting at sea level.

Will look into rejection parameters and your map.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62