Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287257 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2012, 11:37:11 pm »

I want to try my hand at making a world with sheer cliffs into mountains.

I've got perfectworld, what would be the best way to check the world without actually embarking on various sites to see if there's something I like?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 11, 2012, 04:24:39 am »

How can I get lots of high-sided mountains? Thats all I want, is steep mountains, and though it seems like rivers no longer cleanly bisect them, I would also like to know how to make that happen, if possible. I like two-part forts.

Turning off periodic eroding of extremes may help.  Beyond that, you'd probably have to play with the elevation setting and meshes and stuff.  If you're looking for lots of canyons and stuff, you could try out IsoWorld, that'll show you elevation extremes, just follow rivers until they carve trenches into the landscape.  Kind of like this:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:27:36 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

lightrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:04 am »

Hey guys! Is there any way to get an embark such as this one?
 http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4499-clockworks

BEvilR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 30, 2012, 12:11:55 am »

Hi guys, I'm looking for something really specific here, that maybe impossible to find. I want to create SeaLab.

I'm looking for a large lake, that freezes in at least winter, and thaws in at least summer. The larger and deeper the lake the better, but pretty much all other parameters are secondary. If there are (in order of importance) trees, sand, a source of flowing water unconnected to the lake, and magma, that would be ideal.

A version of these parameters involving an ocean would be fine too, but oceans don't freeze do they?
 can spel reel gud

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2012, 12:40:28 pm »

THIS is the most badass site I have ever genned:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good, neutral, AND evil, ALL savage, all on the same 4x4 embark.  And if pitting fluffy wamblers against giant desert scorpions against whatever horrors that forest of doom will vomit up is not enough, well, just check out the prospector report:

That's right: 11k coal, 3 types of flux, magnetite and limonite.  Surface steel.  Oh, and toss on 3 types of sand, fire clay, and gypsum.  Lots of copper and gold, with a nice amount of silver from that tetra and galena.  If that wasn't awesome enough, there's a nice big candy cane poking up into cavern 3 that goes down pretty deep before it gets hollow.  Big aquifer under the evil and neutral parts, but there should be enough space to dig down to the northwest.  Only real flaw is there's no diamonds in that kimberlite.

Now, I found this in a world I genned up with 34.10 (actually the original was 34.05 but I like this seed).  I genned it again in 34.11 to make sure it genned the same.  It did (the ASCII embark was taken from 34.11).

And just to make things more !!FUN!!, the game spawned some undead ravens right as I embarked.

Oh yeah.  You guys want the seed.   :P

Or download a save from the DF File Depot:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6629

Have fun with Armok's playground.

I've played about 15 fortresses on this map and wanted to say thanks. It's actually a great newbie map to learn about all the different biomes. I died a lot to the undeads at first but got a hang of it quickly.

I want to try my hand at a similar embark but with some elevation. Does anyone have anything decent? I don't need the evil biome necessarily but I still like playing with lots of all the different metals. Any rich embark with elevation would be great.

Also how do you guys find out the mineral amount of an embark? Is that part of the seed file?

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »

Also how do you guys find out the mineral amount of an embark? Is that part of the seed file?

dfhack's prospect command. If I remember correctly there were other options aswell.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »

"prospect all" will give you the full run-down on all the materials in your map. It's handy for a lot of things besides just ore.

If you look at the Z-levels it shows for different materials it gives you a decent picture of your map. I look at the wood section to determine where the caverns start (Tower-caps are on the first cavern levels, so the highest Tower-cap floor is the first level of cavern 1, etc.), and the magma stats up at the top will tell you if you've got a magma pipe somewhere or just a plain magma sea.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »

Neat. How accurate is the pre-embark prospect? Or do you have to embark to get the details?

Anyone with an embark with a good amount of 1)elevation 2)minerals 3)wood? Untamed wilds a plus!

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:38 pm »

Can someone post any kind of seed with a decent embark with:

1)elevation (don't even need a mountain, just some above ground z levels)
2)metal
3)flux
4)gold

in abundance?

Please?

Verpace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:32 pm »

So i'm new to this and not sure on how to use world gen but I was hoping one of you fine gents might have one where its haunted with high mountain cliffs and a river that cuts through the mountain. 

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:00 am »

I just won world generation.

Generated in 34.11

Diverse Metals? Check
Enough iron and flux to build a steel temple to armok? Check
(Or made out of lapis lazuli, apparently, for that matter. I'm not sure what's going on with that)
Wilderness, Haunted, and Joyous Wilds biomes? Check
Substantial candy cane to mine out? Check.
Three cavern layers with water in each one? Check.
All of this in a 3x3 area for those of us with FPS issues? Check.

I know what you're thinking.
"That's not so great. There's no sand or fire clay, or even coal."
How are you going to start war with the elves if you use coal instead of live trees as fuel? And if elves could figure out magma, they'd probably make glass and pottery. This embark isn't about wasting time with green glass windows. This embark is about forging your steel empire to defend yourself against infernal gloom zombies. That's right.

Non-contagious (I think, I didn't see any sort of vapor or dust covering) infernal gloom zombie clouds? Check plus.
Clown car? Check plus.
Volcano? Check plus.

If you're not dwarf enough to dig straight into the caverns, there's a brook to the northwest if you extend to 4x4 and forget about the wilderness biome. You'll still hit the clown car and the nice candy cane. The volcano is anything but flat, but there are some nice flat areas surrounding it for those above-ground fort types. You know who you are. The clouds shouldn't reach the flat, non-evil parts of the map (I think).

You're welcome.

Socrates27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:21 pm »

Sorry, I'm a bit daft, do you mean clown car plus check as in there is a fortress at the bottom?  Because that's a requirement for me.

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 14, 2012, 02:30:42 pm »

Indeed there is, it starts in the third cavern layer. It's in the upper left tile of that 9x9 embark shown.

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »

Hey, I'm trying to make a good biome (or find one) preferably "serene" and "warm" with no aquifer
Can anyone help me? Or at least give me directions to generate one in a new world?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:57 am »

I just won world generation.
has anyone got anything like this for mac?

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62