Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287303 times)

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2012, 11:21:30 am »

Hey, I'm trying to make a good biome (or find one) preferably "serene" and "warm" with no aquifer
Can anyone help me? Or at least give me directions to generate one in a new world?
If you don't want aquifers, you can just turn them off in the init files. It won't affect anything else about world generation.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 17, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »

Hey, I'm trying to make a good biome (or find one) preferably "serene" and "warm" with no aquifer
Can anyone help me? Or at least give me directions to generate one in a new world?
If you don't want aquifers, you can just turn them off in the init files. It won't affect anything else about world generation.
Aquifers are in the RAW files, not init.
To remove them, either get a program to do it for you (Lazy newb pack), or you can remove them from the RAWs manually by removing the [Aquifer] tag from all the entries for stone and soil.

For more good biomes, use advanced world generation, copy and edit one of the existing entries, go to the bottom of the list of options and start scrolling upwards from there, there should be a few options regarding good and evil biomes, if your not sure what to do with the values, start by just doubling them, too higher values can cause map rejection I believe.
About halfway down that options list, there will be 3 options regarding temperature, the maximum, the minimum and the variance, if you set the min and max to the same value and the variance to 0, most of th world will be approximately that temperature (there will still be some variation for some reason).

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2012, 12:17:40 pm »

Aquifers are in the RAW files, not init.
To remove them, either get a program to do it for you (Lazy newb pack), or you can remove them from the RAWs manually by removing the [Aquifer] tag from all the entries for stone and soil.
I stand corrected, sir. Thanks! I guess I got confused; I usually use the Lazy Newb Pack to disable aquifers.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »

Request
Map with flux, iron and an aquifer. D shaped steep mountain (flat all the way along all edges of the map except the one its permeating from) at least 5-z high, the steeper the better. Preferably with trees, without brooks or rivers, and area not much larger than 4x4 region tiles (3x3 being ideal). The area not part of the mountain should be as flat as possible. Coal would be a bonus but isn't required.

I'm looking to build an iconic dwarven fortress into the side of the mountain with fortifications carved into of the cliff face. Aquifer required for various water powered devices, best if it runs all the way across the map and isn't more than 1 layer thick.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »

I just won world generation.

Generated in 34.11
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Diverse Metals? Check
Enough iron and flux to build a steel temple to armok? Check
(Or made out of lapis lazuli, apparently, for that matter. I'm not sure what's going on with that)
Wilderness, Haunted, and Joyous Wilds biomes? Check
Substantial candy cane to mine out? Check.
Three cavern layers with water in each one? Check.
All of this in a 3x3 area for those of us with FPS issues? Check.

I know what you're thinking.
"That's not so great. There's no sand or fire clay, or even coal."
How are you going to start war with the elves if you use coal instead of live trees as fuel? And if elves could figure out magma, they'd probably make glass and pottery. This embark isn't about wasting time with green glass windows. This embark is about forging your steel empire to defend yourself against infernal gloom zombies. That's right.

Non-contagious (I think, I didn't see any sort of vapor or dust covering) infernal gloom zombie clouds? Check plus.
Clown car? Check plus.
Volcano? Check plus.

If you're not dwarf enough to dig straight into the caverns, there's a brook to the northwest if you extend to 4x4 and forget about the wilderness biome. You'll still hit the clown car and the nice candy cane. The volcano is anything but flat, but there are some nice flat areas surrounding it for those above-ground fort types. You know who you are. The clouds shouldn't reach the flat, non-evil parts of the map (I think).

You're welcome.

Seed doesn't seem to generate that world for me. I'm on 34.11 too. Any chance you could upload the world save?

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »

Seed doesn't seem to generate that world for me. I'm on 34.11 too. Any chance you could upload the world save?
Same here, I get a different world than pictured. Using vanilla 34.11 and LNP with default options. Altered raws, perhaps?

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2012, 01:48:46 pm »

Not sure. I tried several times. Went back to other seeds on this thread and had no issue there.

Sucks, it looked interesting.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »

I'd like a save too.
As far as I'm aware, saves are mac-compatible.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 25, 2012, 09:23:37 pm »

So there are a lot of really cool embark sites here, how about some really terrible ones though

I'm talking sites that get you numerous gob and undead invasions per year, at least partially evil, maybe savage (but with actual dangerous animals not just millions of derpy bug-people)

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »

Same here, I get a different world than pictured. Using vanilla 34.11 and LNP with default options. Altered raws, perhaps?

None that I'm aware of. Uploaded save here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6966

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:02 pm »

If it's at all possible to have a request I was wondering if anyone could get a world and site with a clown car and a volcano as well as some decent iron deposits? I've yet to get any worlds in my own paltry attempts at world gen to have the necessary bits, any help would be funastic, preferably the above ground would be normal flatish wilderness.... i've had bad experiences with anything else.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 27, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »

If it's at all possible to have a request I was wondering if anyone could get a world and site with a clown car and a volcano as well as some decent iron deposits? I've yet to get any worlds in my own paltry attempts at world gen to have the necessary bits, any help would be funastic, preferably the above ground would be normal flatish wilderness.... i've had bad experiences with anything else.
Volcano plus iron can be tricky. More volcanism means more igneous layers, which means less sedimentary layers, which means less hematite/magnetite/limonite/coal/lignite/flux. Iron and volcano rarely mix.

Try putting the volcanoes down to 15 or so, set volcanism from 1 to 100, low variance, and use the volcanism mesh in something like 100/0/0/0/1. You'll have areas with little to no volcanism right next to high-volcanism areas, where volcanoes can occur. It doesn't always work, but it's a start.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 27, 2012, 05:47:17 pm »

what about getting clown forts?  or is that entirely random?
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 27, 2012, 06:38:57 pm »

The save I just posted has iron volcanoes and a clown fort.

If you do a 4x4 embark you have a 1 in 16 chance of getting a clown fort, because there is one clown fort tile in a 16x16 area. So it's actually asking a lot to have all the stuff you want plus also a clown fort. To find it you need to use dfhack reveal hell. Embark on a 8x16 area to find where it is. If you do 16x16 DF will just crash.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 27, 2012, 08:29:12 pm »

Sorry about this, but I'm trying to find a world with a savage temperate forest bordering a savage tropical forest and a savage tropical swamp. With a brook/stream. With iron and flux. With (hopefully, but not necessary) a good biome in there.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62