Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286323 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #570 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:18 am »

I will do my best, Werdna.  I've added a few more sample worldgens to the wiki, and can continue to add more, if players find them useful.

I also have a tutorial for the "Set Preset Field Values" painting interface which is still looking for a home.  There's not much documentation available for it, that I have found, but it's very powerful once you know how it works.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:45 am »

I'm looking for a good map with a volcano and an ocean, preferably a savage biome, but connected to the mainland so I can have elves to feed to the volcano.  Anybody got one?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 30, 2013, 01:41:32 pm »

I'm looking for a good map with a volcano and an ocean, preferably a savage biome, but connected to the mainland so I can have elves to feed to the volcano.  Anybody got one?

What I've found,

3x2 embark with:
Temperate Broadleaf Forest, Warm, Heavily Forested, Joyous Wilds and Serene
Volcano on the surface
Flat embark
A brook

Civilized World Population

327 Dwarves
   664 Humans
   432 Elves
   5058 Goblins

Total: 6481

Spoiler: read on for more... (click to show/hide)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 30, 2013, 01:59:33 pm »

Nice one, thanks!

Trev_lite

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes the forum for its helpful members
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 30, 2013, 06:17:48 pm »

i think i found an embark side that is good enough that i should share it.

-1z lava on a flat volcano
river
sand
marble (flux)
gold
iron
1.5k candy
would share prospect but don't know how

seed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

site

im new to wordgen but this is the result of my goal of getting a world with:
river, volcano (near surface), iron, flux, coal, sand, savage, tropic broadleaf

this map may not have all of these but its close.
does anyone have any suggestions on how i can tweak my custom medium param set so that i can get good sites like this more often and eventualy maybe get my perfect site.

ps: if i forgot to share something in my seed posting please tell me so that i can fix it.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:02 pm »

Trev_lite,

Check out these two.

They should help narrow down the parameters you'll need.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 01, 2013, 10:04:44 am »

I will do my best, Werdna.  I've added a few more sample worldgens to the wiki, and can continue to add more, if players find them useful.

I also have a tutorial for the "Set Preset Field Values" painting interface which is still looking for a home.  There's not much documentation available for it, that I have found, but it's very powerful once you know how it works.

Worldgens should be tagged. That would make it much easier. Tickboxes with "standard" features (volcano, flux, iron etc) narrowing the answers, which would be hosted on DFFD with either a screen to show where to embark, or suggested X,Y coordinates.
It could even be a 3d-party utility.
That'd be great, and I would certainly try to help on such a project.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

TDarksword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 04, 2013, 07:02:11 am »

Anyone got tips for Volcano/Ocean embarks?

All my volcanoes that I generate seem to fill the majority of the 16x16 region up with land, with maybe a bit of beach right at the edge, including the ones that generate right in the middle of the ocean.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 04, 2013, 10:09:44 am »

All my volcanoes that I generate seem to fill the majority of the 16x16 region up with land, with maybe a bit of beach right at the edge, including the ones that generate right in the middle of the ocean.

Finding a volcano next to an large body of water will depend more on luck than anything else. It's exceptionally rare. You can try increasing the elevation and volcanism variance, though, and generating the max 200 volcanoes per world.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bottles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
:::
« Reply #579 on: May 05, 2013, 07:35:21 am »

I've been messing around with advanced world gen for a while now trying to get my stupid perfect embark.

I seem to have trouble getting iron on my maps, and sometimes I'm not getting much in the way of useable metals at all. I set the mineral scarcity pretty low (~600-800), and I set everything I don't care about to maximum or minimum depending (like 0 minimum oceans, swamps, etc). Could that stuff be affecting it? (On another note, I've noticed that lately when I try to get more good and savage biomes in the world to have more to pick from, I get very few evil areas (but not none) as expected, but my worlds also stay in the Age of Myth all the way through to whatever year I stop it (like 900+). They don't even reach the 60% of megabeasts killed mark. Is that related? It's weird.)

I'm trying to get a good+high savagry embark (I want unicorns mainly, and giant vicious aminals, but no preference on biome) with decent trees and vegetations and a river in a canyon or with at least one tall, sheer cliff face (especially if the river makes the cliff a defensible position). Waterfall cool but optional. Bituminous coal/lignite (especially if few trees), iron (+flux), other metals (gold would be nice, happy with copper/silver), and magma higher up than the magma sea would be cool.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 05, 2013, 09:14:02 am »

Been away for a while so my WorldGen-Fu is a bit rusty but I've knocked up a medium region world with a decent smattering of good and evil Biomes, 200 years of gen.

Here is a nice Flat embark with a surface volcano pit and the end of a brook. It has clay, iron, gold, silver and flux though youll have to dig down a bit for the marble. It is a 4x4 embark but you can fit the both lava pit and brook on a 3x2 of you wish.

Embark Location

Embark piccy

World Gen Parameters

Prospect
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:42:27 am by Sir Crashalot »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: :::
« Reply #581 on: May 05, 2013, 10:14:21 am »

I've been messing around with advanced world gen for a while now trying to get my stupid perfect embark. ...
The difficulty , bottles, will be in finding a volcano near the joining of two rivers, in order to get a sheer cliff face.  Everything else is trivial.

In other words, if you build the cliff yourself (out of glass, clay, wood, or obsidian, for example) then an appropriate embark will be easy to find.  8)

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 05, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »

Further tweaking adding more savagery as well as some more good/evil zones. Hopefully closer to getting cliff faces next to lowlands, my intention is to get a flat forested area (preferably Joyous Wilds) with a Steep cliff/volcano (preferably evil) and a river. i am getting closer though it will take a while.

I'm posting this one because it might have some interest to some of you. It contains 4 biomes, 2 Heavy forest  and a woodland, all flat and Untamed wilds with the volcano area being terrifying. The top right has a volcano as well as two rock spires (see pic) which could be useful for Dwarfing and hollowing out. In the bottom right corner there is a river (currently frozen).

It has a good and varied selection of rocks, Dolomite, Marble and Obsidian are of note. It has a very wide range of ores but strangely none of the blue stuff (moving the embark a little may fix that thoough), there is iron but only around 3k of it in the 4x4 but that is more than enough.

Heres the gumph, on this map there are areas where good and bad meet but no areas with volcanos and rivers.

Edit: Sorry I messed up on this one and posted the gen without the seed which is long gone. :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:26:55 pm by Sir Crashalot »

TDarksword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 05, 2013, 05:38:50 pm »

Finding a volcano next to an large body of water will depend more on luck than anything else. It's exceptionally rare. You can try increasing the elevation and volcanism variance, though, and generating the max 200 volcanoes per world.

Hmm that was what I was finding, maybe 2 out of 300 volcanoes per spawn that actually had ocean rather than beach in their embark region. (Note, manual adjust of worldgen for the 300 volcanoes and use of Perfect World to get them all spawning near the coast)

alexjj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 06, 2013, 03:55:09 am »

I tried generating the world below but it doesn't come up with the same world :S I just copied and pasted the worldgen into the text file and generated it with 34.11.

I get this instead...

Put together this world & embark today, and it seems good enough to share.

3x3 Embark, with a volcano on the surface.  A brook, two biomes (mountain + temperate shrubland).  Dwarves, Humans, Elves and Goblins, generated in vanilla 34.11.

The highlighted embark site features the following:
Sand
5k+ gold
3k+ silver
5k+ magnetite (iron)
110k+ marble (flux)
3 Caverns
67 Z-levels of NON-hollow candy spire

Spoiler: Worldgen (click to show/hide)
Embark

Spoiler: Prospect (click to show/hide)

Populations