Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286319 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #870 on: February 18, 2014, 02:40:16 am »

Ledi, check out this post.  If it doesn't link to one that meets your requirements, let me know, and we can find something that does.

*dives in eagerly* Many thanks! This should keep me busy for a few days as I tweak and search! I'm looking for a place to call home for a livestream fort, and being wussy about the embark since there's so much new stuff I need to get my head around like linking stockpiles and wheelbarrows and minecarts!
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

ModemEZ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 19, 2014, 03:39:09 pm »

So this might be a long shot but after failed worldgen after failed worldgen I'm going to ask here.

Does anyone have an embark that has a sheer cliff face with flat land in front of it, I used to get them quite often but I can't seem to generate one for the life of me anymore. I'm not too fussy about minerals, although Iron and flux would be appreciated.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 19, 2014, 04:58:29 pm »

So this might be a long shot but after failed worldgen after failed worldgen I'm going to ask here.

Does anyone have an embark that has a sheer cliff face with flat land in front of it, I used to get them quite often but I can't seem to generate one for the life of me anymore. I'm not too fussy about minerals, although Iron and flux would be appreciated.
If by sheer you mean vertical, and by flat land you mean no river, nope, never have seen such a thing, myself.  Doesn't mean it's impossible, though.

Vertical cliffs with a river at the bottom? Yep, several worldgens & embarks in this thread with that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:03:00 pm by vjek »

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 24, 2014, 07:33:14 pm »

I'm looking for embark with normal not-flat volcano with sand, trees (doesn't have to be many), iron+flux (bonus points for good amount of marble) and some gold or cooper + zinc so I have something to make statues out of. I actually would prefer if ore wasn't too abundant (as crazy as it sounds, I just don't like hitting veins constantly when I try to dig out some rooms/moat). I would definitely want full set of neighbours (tower included) but that's isn't really requirement since I can play with history myself. River would be very nice but not absolutely required. Would prefer if it wasn't in double-plus Fun biome with nasty weather. I'm also thinking about fairly expansive (meaning not maze-spaghetti) single layer caverns. However feature I'm really really looking for is terrain. I want to build half underground, half aboveground fort using natural sculpt of the land, some convenient area encompassed by hills/river/whatever I can wall of fairly easily to setup above ground farms or whatever and dig into mountain face. I know it's very specific so I don't really expect anyone to have something like this on hand, however I would appreciate if someone gave me seeds which are likely to produce something like this. I can look for sites myself.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:13 am »

I think I found everything except the river and tower, janekk.  But as always, you can remove the seeds and give it a try yourself.  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:17:44 am by vjek »

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 25, 2014, 06:14:02 am »

Wow, that's pretty extreme cliff face, this should be good enough but I'll play with seeds to see what else this can get. Thanks!

EDIT: Man, those parameters are great, I tweaked erosion a bit and I'm getting some really nice formations, I tried doing this myself but I never got results like these. For instance nicest, natural looking volcano I have seen yet:
Also another site with pretty nice vertical cliff with lake at bottom:

Once I'll find perfect spot I'll post it here for sure.

Yet another edit:
I stumbled onto something interesting when I was fiddling with parameters. While I'm sure it's nothing new to most people here I think it could be helpful tip for people that don't know about it. Changing mineral scarcity doesn't affect terrain shape in any way, you get almost exactly same map. Difference is:
These are prospects from exactly the same embark (cliff face stonsense pic above), difference is in mineral scarcity which I wrote down on picture. Pretty big differences considering I just bumped it by 1. Where I'm going with this is that from exactly same map I got vastly different minerals, large amounts of iron, cooper, gold, zinc, tin lead, silver.. pretty much anything. So if you found perfect embark BUT it doesn't have mineral you absolutely must have.. try regening world with small change in ms.

Edits are forever:
When I was checking sites I found one with unusual amount of diamonds, 5500 on 3v3 and nearly 9000 on 5v5. Not gonna use it myself but thought some people might want that.
Prospect and localization
Spoiler: "Seed" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:22:40 pm by janekk »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 25, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »

hey, vjek. Considering the new release is coming closer and closer, do you think it will be much of an interruption to your worldgen science?
I'm thinking of asking you for a world in the next version.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 25, 2014, 11:33:09 pm »

hey, vjek. Considering the new release is coming closer and closer, do you think it will be much of an interruption to your worldgen science?
I'm thinking of asking you for a world in the next version.
My intention is to start genning worlds as soon as the next version is released, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what is typical and how to make what people want right away.
It will be slow & less precise without dfhack, but I think reasonable results should be possible quickly.  Once dfhack catches up, things will proceed much faster.

However, I will be without Internet access during the first three weeks in March, so... if the release comes then, all bets are off.  :D

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 02, 2014, 09:15:27 pm »

I'm looking for embark with normal not-flat volcano with sand, trees (doesn't have to be many), iron+flux (bonus points for good amount of marble) and some gold or cooper + zinc so I have something to make statues out of. I actually would prefer if ore wasn't too abundant (as crazy as it sounds, I just don't like hitting veins constantly when I try to dig out some rooms/moat). I would definitely want full set of neighbours (tower included) but that's isn't really requirement since I can play with history myself. River would be very nice but not absolutely required. Would prefer if it wasn't in double-plus Fun biome with nasty weather. I'm also thinking about fairly expansive (meaning not maze-spaghetti) single layer caverns. However feature I'm really really looking for is terrain. I want to build half underground, half aboveground fort using natural sculpt of the land, some convenient area encompassed by hills/river/whatever I can wall of fairly easily to setup above ground farms or whatever and dig into mountain face. I know it's very specific so I don't really expect anyone to have something like this on hand, however I would appreciate if someone gave me seeds which are likely to produce something like this. I can look for sites myself.

I'm very new to these forums so I have no idea where to upload world gen files etc. but I've cooked up a world with an embark site that pretty much fits all of your requirements. It has a classic cinder cone shaped towering volcano in the east of the map. On the west side of the map is the head of a river which flows south. The southern half of the map consists of untamed wild tropical grassland with a decent number of trees on it. The north half of the map is a savage neutrally aligned desert with lots of black sand. There is clay and plenty of soil to grow in the river valley which extends up the sides of the volcano a bit. There is shallow iron ore on the north side of the map but there isn't a ton of it. There is enough coal and marble for the steel industry. There is plenty of copper/silver ore and enough gold to build an above ground city out of nothing but gold bricks. It's the most common metal by far which is rather funny. There are human, dwarf and elven caravan routes to the site as well as some VERY aggressive goblin neighbors. My last two sieges included war cave dragons, war jabberers and war cave crocodiles ridden by some truly vicious goblins. The local wildlife is interesting. You might not like the caverns much. They are numerous and some of them have the cavern spaghetti thing going on. The world this site sits in is quite volcanic with a lot of savage biomes.

Let me know if you are interested in it and if so how I might go about making it available to you. Is there a centralized place to upload these sorts of things?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:28:12 pm by Melting Sky »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 03, 2014, 12:18:23 am »

If anyone wants a captive audience to try out strange world gens, I'm planning a stream series where I take gen files from the community to play embarks on. Thread for it is over here.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 16, 2014, 09:03:08 am »

Hey !

This is my first post here, I have been looking for a specific map for a very long time for a megaproject !

What i would like is :

- A river that runs through multiple Z levels through waterfalls (20 lvls would be nice)
- A warm biome or at least a river that nevers freezes
- A volcano
- Iron
- Flux & Sand would be a nice bonus

I want to dam & divert the river trought the entire fortress

Thanks 8)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 20, 2014, 11:44:11 am »

Hey !

This is my first post here, I have been looking for a specific map for a very long time for a megaproject !

What i would like is :

- A river that runs through multiple Z levels through waterfalls (20 lvls would be nice)
- A warm biome or at least a river that nevers freezes
- A volcano
- Iron
- Flux & Sand would be a nice bonus

I want to dam & divert the river trought the entire fortress

Thanks 8)
I was away for a few weeks, sorry for the late reply, but the only tricky part of this, Nevrast, is the volcano.  A 20-Z level elevation drop within 3x3 of a volcano is difficult to find.  Trivial without the volcano, though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:48:26 am by vjek »

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 20, 2014, 05:40:27 pm »

That's why i asked for help ! :D

But i can do without the volcano i guess. It's just way easier to dam river with magma ...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 23, 2014, 09:32:23 am »

That's why i asked for help ! :D

But i can do without the volcano i guess. It's just way easier to dam river with magma ...
I'll keep looking this week, so far, best I've found is a waterfall & volcano within a 4x5, and it wasn't a very tall waterfall..

Ranalcus

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Model Kit Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 25, 2014, 06:57:33 am »

Sorry top bother you guys.

ONCE I had a really cool location.

- 2 small rivers going throught whole map
- 2 waterfalls
- Lake 7 Z levels bellow the rivers/waterfall
- Few "pillboxes"/mounds (1-2 Z high) all around

But after less than 10 minutes:
- Only Miner + Lake + No slopes Combo
then
- Horde of Crocodiles

;___; I hate this game with passion, yet I can't stop to play it.
Mountainhome Stong!
Remove Tree-Fondling-Hippies!
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62