Averni
Getai
Carthage
Koinon Hellenon
Epeiros
Ptolemaioi
Pontos

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #15 - Hideous Hellenes  (Read 41818 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #9
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 10:58:37 am »

Their in empire, but their useless for about every thing.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #10
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:28 pm »

The Illustrated Histories of the Kingdom of Pontos

Chapter 10
man is Mazaka getting bloody.

Spoiler: 249 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 10th Battle of Mazaka (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 11th Battle of Mazaka (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 249-248 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enjoy.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

The morale of that unit seems to be paper for some reason. I mean, seriously, routing from only 5 losses?

"OH MY GOD THEY KILLED BOB!"
"WE'RE DOOOOOOOOMMMMEEDD!"
"RUN AWAAAAAAY!"
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that happens a lot with me in Vanilla RTW. They need some lessons from DF soldiers.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This can happen when you are fighting vs a 7 star general and his elite guards without an own general.
Good generals give a moral boost and also lower enemy moral. Under normal circumstances such bridge battles are an absolute meatgrinder. I only wonder how they kept fighting after their general was killed.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile

The morale of that unit seems to be paper for some reason. I mean, seriously, routing from only 5 losses?

It's possible to rout enemies without inflicting any losses at all. Vanilla or not.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

It's possible to rout enemies without inflicting any losses at all. Vanilla or not.

Isn't that by aborting cavalry charges right in front of them repeatedly?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile

Isn't it obvious, just be Stworca and the game just says "Okay balls to this" and lets you win.
Blargh.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile

Yes. Missed (flaming) onager shots and units routing around other units also count towards this.
Elephants, flaming pigs, dogs, German women and enemy generals also reduce enemy morale, and can possibly break it with no casualties when used in abundance.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:03:46 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #11
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:33 pm »

The Illustrated Histories of the Kingdom of Pontos

Chapter 11

Spoiler: Battle of Pantikapaion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 247 BC (click to show/hide)

Another day, another update. Enjoy.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #11 - March into Crimea
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 06:50:54 am »

Awesome update! Keep them coming.  :D

It seems to me it would be wise to tackle the Seleucid/Ptolemaioi soon before their overwhelm you. Your southern border seems to get exhausted by their combined attacks.

If not trough military force then trough diplomacy or acts of deiced? Use your agents to ruin their army and economy?

Either way you need to figure out a way to stop them from throwing their armies at your border, even if it means peace.

Are you at war with Sauromatae? If so you should consider taking the lands between you and Hayasdan before expanding into the lands of Getai.

Lastly, I could not help but notice that Pantikapaion was held by an quite awesome general. If we are lacking in generals maybe one should try to buy out those with good stats you find while conquering?
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 07:55:03 am »

It seems to me it would be wise to tackle the Seleucid/Ptolemaioi soon before their overwhelm you. Your southern border seems to get exhausted by their combined attacks.

If not trough military force then trough diplomacy or acts of deiced? Use your agents to ruin their army and economy?

Either way you need to figure out a way to stop them from throwing their armies at your border, even if it means peace.

Peace is definitely not an option at this point. I've been saving myself (and the Seleucids/Ptolemaioi) by keeping a token defence force at the southern border so far. I could attempt to attack Ptolemaioi along the coastline up to Sinai or beyond. There's some prime real estate in that direction so it's definitely in my long-term plans to conquer most of Middle-East. Right now though I'm concentrating mainly on the Black Sea. At the very least I could raise some troops and take Antioch. I'm going to have to think on that.

In any case I prefer to keep Ptolemaioi and Seleucids as a potential threat for the time being. And Kilikia-Syrian border force is being reinforced to be much greater than it's been to better repel attackers. A general to up the morale, Bronze Shields to hold the line and some proper heavy infantry to act as mobile reserves in case of breakthrough. It's more expensive but it should keep our border secure. Hmph, now that I think about it, I (will) have a considerable force standing within season's march of Antioch. Maybe I should take it. The AI seems to keep it fairly lightly defended most of the time as well, troops just pass through it to try and break through my border.

Are you at war with Sauromatae? If so you should consider taking the lands between you and Hayasdan before expanding into the lands of Getai.

I'm not at war with them, but neither am I trading with them so I just might do that. They only have one province between me and Hayasdan so it would be a quick affair. But that's the extent of hostilities I'm willing to have with Sauromatae for now. They have huge, poor provinces. There's little reason for me to war over them.

Lastly, I could not help but notice that Pantikapaion was held by an quite awesome general. If we are lacking in generals maybe one should try to buy out those with good stats you find while conquering?

Not happening. Bribing characters cost a bit too much for my current treasury. The ones I get in my family are good enough for the job.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 10:31:36 pm »

Do you ever get access to units to counter the doom phalanxes you're fighting right now?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 08:19:34 am »

I get/have Bronze Shields. Poor man's Silver Shields. That's about it. They certainly work better than mercenary/levy phalanxes I have at Kilikia-Syria in Update #11. By next update I'll have upgraded my border defences to have more Bronze Shields to better stand up to enemy elites.

Pontos is definitely lacking in proper elite units. Our best Pikes aren't quite as kickass as Ptolemaoi/Seleucid elite pikes, and our elite infantry (Pontic heavy infantry/Thorakitai) wouldn't stand toe to toe against Roman cohorts in a straight 1v1 fight.

But yeah, we get nothing that will allow me to just plow straight through an enemy elite phalanx. All other things being equal, I'd wager that 1v1 Bronze Shield vs. Silver Shield match would end up as a pyrrhic victory for the SS.

On the other hand, our medium cavalry is pretty kickass (AP axes FTW, more of those in Update #12), our aforementioned Pontic heavy infantry is a very versatile unit and we have access to some pretty decent regional units at higher barracks levels. Gallic elites from Galatia, elite nomad heavy cavalry from north Black Sea and some awesome archers from both Caucasus and Crimea.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »

Couldn't you get horse archers by conquering some Sauromatae land and recruit the locals? They should be quite effective against those elite phalanxes the other greek/successors use.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5