Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 256350 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 7, Week 12
« Reply #960 on: July 19, 2013, 04:33:05 am »

Well to avoid making a thread just to answer my questions, I'm gonna hijack the thread for a few posts.

1) How do I switch who is kicking?

2) I have no idea what was happening. I break through the right side of their defense, they get a tackle on my runner, ball disappears. Look around my runner and can't find it. Zoom out and there it is..... In my endzone, over 13 tiles away. How the hell did that happen? It cost me 2 points! One for my lost touchdown and one for the one they scored.

3) Ended up with a tie. Then an overtime rule. I defended for such a long time but the timer kept going an extra 4 turns. I gave up and went to steal the ball, but failed. Is it impossible to have a tie? Doesn't the overtime rule give a huge advantage to the person possessing the ball?

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 19, 2013, 06:43:38 am »

1) Unless the player has Kick, it doesn't matter. From what I understand, if they're a) not on the line of scrimmage and b) in the wide zone they are eligible to kick, although a) is only a preference - if you run full frontal brutality I think you'll kick kick it from there. But otherwise it's weighted to someone that has Kick. And judging by the actual rules, that may not even matter. But point is, the only way to give someone actual preference is to give, say, a thrower Kick.

2) Sounds like the ball bounced off-field. In which case, the ball scatters far as the crowd throw it back in randomly. That's probably what happened. Useful thing to know if the ball is dangerously close to your endzone.

3) Overtime is play-until-someone-scores-through-Hell-or-high-water. Defending won't do you any good except wear you down.

Assuming you have the Steam version, the folder for the game has a stripped-down version of the actual Blood Bowl rulebook which is handy for a read.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »

A note on #3, but it depends on what rules you are playing with for what happens in the event of a tie. Personally I play with a Blitz Cup rule base, meaning that in the event of a tie it actually ends as a tie. Other rule sets have different rules, whether they function on a golden goal style play, or if they just keep playing for four more turns and whoever has the most at the end of that wins.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:15 pm »

Well #2 just sounds abusive and I'm gonna have to play blitz mode because I just don't like the idea of one team getting an advantage for the tie breaker.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 19, 2013, 04:00:11 pm »

If you don't like the ball getting thrown around by the fans, don't take it near the edge of the field. Won't happen again!

As for tie breaks, sometimes games must have winners. Playoffs, for example. In my experience with Cyanide's BB, those are also the only games that actually have tie breaks.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:02:53 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 19, 2013, 04:08:24 pm »

No I meant if I don't like how the game is going and I'm near my own endzone, bring 2 guys to the edge and have thempass the ball back and forth, then there is a chance that the ball will randomly end up near the enemy's endzone. Unless there are separate rules for balls out on tackles and balls out on missed passes/fumbles.

And I'm fine with there being a tie breaker. But one team gets the ball until the other steals it. Why not just continue the 8 turn games until it's no longer a tie? The person who starts off with the ball gets the obvious advantage. More so if they are a defensive bash team.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 19, 2013, 04:19:56 pm »

And I'm fine with there being a tie breaker. But one team gets the ball until the other steals it. Why not just continue the 8 turn games until it's no longer a tie? The person who starts off with the ball gets the obvious advantage. More so if they are a defensive bash team.
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that there should be another "halftime" and the team that received at the start should get the ball kicked to them again? I mean the team that doesn't have the ball has already had 8 turns to steal the ball away from the team with it, I'm not sure why you would want to just suddenly have a random "turnover" to the team that doesn't have the ball.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 19, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »

No I meant if I don't like how the game is going and I'm near my own endzone, bring 2 guys to the edge and have thempass the ball back and forth, then there is a chance that the ball will randomly end up near the enemy's endzone. Unless there are separate rules for balls out on tackles and balls out on missed passes/fumbles.

Sounds like you pretty obviously brought the ball to the edge of the field and started taking risks that can result in it being dropped and bouncing into the crowd. I would suggest not doing that will minimize the amount of times the ball bounces into the crowd.

As for just having another half for a tiebreak: Fumbbl does exactly that. They even have a coinflip. The team that wins that coinflip has a significant advantage in OT. I don't think you can come up with a system that doesn't put one team at a disadvantage, but if you can, please share.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 19, 2013, 05:00:15 pm »

Throw-ins do follow a template based on the tile they went out on; thus, even if you managed to get the ball to bounce out-of-bounds (remember you only get one pass and a handoff per turn,) it's much more likely to stay on your half of the field, and since a failed pass/catch is a turnover it's rather likely your opponent will swoop in to pick it up.

There's a similar strategy that uses the Hail Mary Pass skill, but it's pretty tricky to pull off. It's very much high risk-low reward unless you also have a bunch of Diving Catch receivers to have a prayer of actually catching it and avoiding a turnover, and in general if you can get that many receivers back there then what do you need HMP for? It's a gimmick more useful for the threat than the play itself, and the only teams that can really make a legit threat of it are elves and stunty teams, from what I've heard.

But yeah, in general you don't want to hug the sideline too closely with the ballcarrier for the reason you discovered (well, that and the automatic injury roll for anyone pushed into the crowd,) though Sidestep/Stand Firm can help (if your opponent doesn't have Frenzy/Juggernaut, anyway.) And of course, if your ballcarrier is taking hits then you have more to worry about than where the throw-in will land.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 19, 2013, 09:18:07 pm »

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that there should be another "halftime" and the team that received at the start should get the ball kicked to them again? I mean the team that doesn't have the ball has already had 8 turns to steal the ball away from the team with it, I'm not sure why you would want to just suddenly have a random "turnover" to the team that doesn't have the ball.

Why not have more "halftimes"? They considered it balanced enough for the basis of the game, so why not keep going to see who's the best at it? Time constraints?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 19, 2013, 09:27:49 pm »

One halftime definitely is not balanced. Two halftimes is... not really balanced either, but it's "close enough". Having two half times results in either doubling the length of the game (at which point you'd be better off just replaying the whole thing,) or having four turn halves, which screws over slow teams.

Basically, there's no way to have an OT period that doesn't screw someone over.

Edit: Personally, I think Cyanide's existing OT format (Add four turns until it's not a tie) is genius. Admittedly, it's very subtle, but I find it very interesting.

It does advantage the team that has the ball, so your job is to make sure you're the team that has the ball when OT starts. How you manage that is... quite remarkable.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:45:21 pm by Kanil »

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 20, 2013, 05:35:57 am »

I'd like to join in on Season 8 as the Skaven, hopefully my mediocre skills at the game will leader me to one or more victories. I can be contacted on steam, my username is Friend Computer. My timezone is EDT (-4).

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:06 pm »

We have a mid-season slot currently available, if you'd like to join right now and play two games and pick up a skill or something before next season starts.

Otherwise, it'll be a couple of weeks before S8 starts, but it'll be great to have you participate.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 20, 2013, 03:16:14 pm »

Bay12 Breakers 1 - 1 The Other Kittens

Game went fairly well in my opinion, not one of my players took permanent damage! (With the exception of a 0 SPP fodder rotter, who gave up the good fight before my first turn :P). My star player continued the tradition of being nothing much more then an injury soak, and was removed from the game on Ank's turn 5 (my 4) with an injury (I'm seriously considering not getting any more, have yet to have one even last to halftime :P). If ndkid loses his match I might still have a shot at the play-offs, but it'll be close. :D

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 20, 2013, 03:17:18 pm »

Bay12 Breakers tie 1-1 with The Other Kittens.

Dorfs received first drive and quickly fired up the meatgrinder, the half ended with 3 nurgle players on the pitch, all face-down.

The second half was a long standoff on the right side of the pitch.
A strong dwarven wall and a stupid beast of nurgle, made it impossible for the pestigor carrying the ball to advance.

But a well timed fireball made a wide opening and there was not much for the dorfs to do.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 149