Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 256248 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 9, Week 1 - TT S2, W1
« Reply #1320 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:21 pm »

Well, you could kill them yourself... or perhaps employ strategies to limit their effectiveness... or concede, I suppose that works too.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 08, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »

Well, you could kill them yourself... or perhaps employ strategies to limit their effectiveness... or concede, I suppose that works too.
The deaths mostly don't happen during the course of the game, when said strategies are implemented and the blitzers contained; they happen on turn 16 as you throw a final blitz on some random guy who is as best covered as I can make him, roll a knockdown, and kill my guy. There isn't really much I can do about that.

Also I did try to kill them several times, including 2 5-man fouls that last game (and other various focused attempts in my previous games with you)... the worst I've managed to do was stun them. *shrug* I mean my last two games against them were 3-0 losses, and have involved the death of 4 experienced players and 2 inexperienced ones. Add into that the fact that this last game just killed off a guy who would take me another 2-3 seasons to replace and who functioned as an integral part of the defense that I did have, and I don't really expect to have any shot at winning come week 4.

Plus, what the heck can you do to stop not one, but two players with level of skills your blitzers have? Even if I stack all my players together there's always going to be some poor sod who sticks out a bit, and I don't have anybody on my team who is both strong enough to keep them occupied and I can spare from my efforts to protect the ball (let alone the fact that they can simply dodge away from anybody I put on them).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:38 pm »

Monk's Meanies 2 - 1 My Mummie's Mummies

I honestly don't remember too many of the interesting details, since I watched the "live" replay of Kanil v i2amroy right after (THE_SLAYA joined me in spectating, which was a rare treat.) The first half was decided when the Khemri attack made a breakaway down one sideline, but the new Witch Elf bravely put herself on the sideline to set up surfing opportunity; the ball came back in bounds near some elves, and it didn't take long for the score to go in. I say bravely, because I wasn't able to support her, and she herself was surfed the next turn, and wound up BH. The second half saw a designed reverse get cut off when the Assassin got KO'd, forcing the Meanies to try and punch the screen up the right side of the pitch. Fortunately, the Khemri Guards were largely away from the point of attack, and.. 4? 1d blocks managed to push a path clear for the ballcarrier. The Meanies suffered 4 CAS over the course of the game, and while they didn't inflict any on the Khemri at least they got a skeleton sent off for fouling.

The win pads the Meanie coffers nicely heading into another sure-to-be bloody match against ank's Dwarves. A rookie lineman leveled up and took kick (he's MNG though, so I won't be able to take advantage of it against the bearded menace,) and the Block/Guard lineman rolled another double, so he got MB as well. What does Hussein think he is, a Human Blitzer? Hopefully I can get him his Dodge skill before he gets crippled like Andrew Jackson.

Re: Kanil's Killer Blitzers, screen them off or otherwise tie them up with useless linemen, and when you can, Do Unto Others before they Do Unto You. Yes, it probably means passing up a more strategic hit to advance the play in order to put the blitzers on the turf and hopefully in the KO/CAS box, but those two blitzers are basically the whole team. Skitterscamps snowballs, the game goes to whichever team still has useful players on the last drive, and you don't have to hurt many Skaven before he's down to goblinfolk.

Try not to stand next to the Troll with anyone you like, either; IIRC he had the rotter kill, a CAS that regenerated, and a KO all in important situations. Sometimes Big Guys do that, sometimes they pick their nose the whole match. The kill from the blitzer came on the last turn, at which point the game was out of reach so everybody important should have been way the hell away from the LoS for safety reasons anyway.

More specifically, you need more Tackle than on one Nurgle Warrior, otherwise you're not going to get past his Blodge; your Pestigor have perfectly serviceable horns, and the Rotters have perfectly good boots once the blitzers are on the ground- make use of them! I'm afraid I won't be able to demonstrate personally until Week Seven, but I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to eat my words (or dance and sing if I manage a SI!)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 08, 2014, 11:05:09 pm »

Bit of a big post, but I'm a little concerned about the team and would really like some advice. If you would like to help read on, else feel free to skip the rest of my post. :)
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 08, 2014, 11:34:48 pm »

Spoiler: Thoughts on Blitzers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thoughts on Nurgle (click to show/hide)

Edit:
... those two blitzers are basically the whole team.
Our +AG linerat rolled a +MA, the block goblin got +AG, and the throwers are getting some skills too. We've got a few tricks beyond the blitzers. ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:38:10 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 08, 2014, 11:42:32 pm »

Is there a way to start my Skaven team over without screwing up the league?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 08, 2014, 11:47:12 pm »

Yep. Unregister your team from the TT and reapply a new one. I'll accept it and you'll be good to go for next week.

Consider buying more gutter runners or an apothecary instead of that FF, though... I don't think FF is worth it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 09, 2014, 12:51:32 am »

Re: Nurgle, yeah, Kanil hit the most important points there. Trying to farm CAS SPP towards the end of a half is usually a good plan for big beefy teams like Nurgle, but Claw makes everyone AV 7, so when your opponent has it you need to pretend your beatsticks are squishy elves and keep them out of harm's way (the better ones, at least.) Hopefully your cashflow isn't too terribly strapped, since Rotter fodder really does help a lot. That's one thing I learned by playing Halflings- Treemen are the biggest toughest louts out there, but without those squishy little halflings supporting them they go down just like anyone else. Same principle for Nurgle, the Rotters keep anyone from getting a decent block on the Warriors. Plus, y'know, they're great for fouling.

Re: Super Skitterscamps, **** I'm gonna miss Valdred for that match. Stupid speedy Skaven. On the plus side, I suppose it's a target-rich environment?

Re: Skaven, yes, definitely apothecary, for reasons that should be evident from the need for a restart :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:24 am »

The Daemoning! 1 - 2 Real Deal

Game was fairly even, though ndkid kept getting those lucky single die rolls; he threw 8 of them with 6 knockdowns, a push, and one both down. Though I did get a -AV injury on one of his blitzers in retaliation. That said hopefully these next 3 weeks against ogres should give me a chance to get enough snotter injuries and get some skills on my pit fighters. (Either that or sidestep is going to make my life miserable, we'll see how it turns out. :P)

Re: Nurgle
Thanks for the advice, we'll see how it goes. This will still probably be their last season regardless, and with any luck the daemons team will advance enough to move up to the main league next season.

Edit: HA-HA! I'm the 30,000th reader of this thread! :D

Double Edit: Also For anyone who hasn't got it already I highly recommend the installation of the Blood Bowl Community Mod Pack. I recently installed it, and having nicer grids+models makes the game look much, much better! (Also it's completely cosmetic, so it doesn't break anything in-game or on multiplayer matches).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:32:46 am by i2amroy »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 9, Week 1 - TT S2, W2
« Reply #1329 on: January 10, 2014, 04:39:30 am »

I think if you find Nurgle frustrating, Khorne will be even worse... but, good luck.

TT week advanced. Matchups for week 2:
i2amroy - The Daemoning! vs monk12 - Monk's Morons
Kanil - Ill-Timed Boners vs ndkid - Real Deal
Fikes - The Rodants vs THE_SLAYA - Slashing Slayers

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 10, 2014, 09:49:30 pm »

In the Champion's Cup, Monk's Marauders defeat w00t w00t 5-3, in a game that went down pretty much the same way last season's Championship did, but with less Inducement-related lunacy. Half a dozen elves were BH, but none were injured seriously. One Marauder got BH, but who cares about him; Tonkai scored a couple TDs and threw a pair of completions to reach Legend status! A blitzer leveled up, too.

I think this fairly well clinches a Human vs Vampire Final, which hopefully will go better than last game.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 11, 2014, 02:27:03 am »

I think if you find Nurgle frustrating, Khorne will be even worse... but, good luck.
Sure they can require a bit more calculation before just wading in bashing (buddy system everyone! :P), but so far from the game I've played here plus the others I've played in my Auld World team I'm finding Khorne quite fun. The fact that everyone on the team has enough move to get where I need them to be, and enough agi to at least have a fair shot of handling the ball or dodging is pure heaven compared to the Nurgle. :D

(I'm sure I'll get a chance to eat my words later, but for now I'm finding frenzy-buddies pushing the enemy team all over the pitch much more fun then a concentrated block that has to struggle to stay in front of the ball.)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:49 pm »

Reapplied with the Rodantors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 11, 2014, 01:42:36 pm »

Team accepted. You're good to go.

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 12, 2014, 03:11:59 pm »

dont you talk about low agi until you've played a Khemri team! xD I'm still waiting for somebody to roll an AGI+ roll so I have a semi decent ball carrier, xD
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 149